Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

What about John Hayes ?
Consistant without being spectacular and there is no stand-out tighthead prop
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on February 16, 2009, 03:14:19 PM
Reddan would be my dark horse, worth a couple of yoyos anyway. Played really well again for Ireland A on Saturday, and with O'Leary being slightly disappointing again, there's a chance he could get a starting role before the campaign is over. And if he does his 50/1 price will get slashed

Also he was brought in by McGeechan and Edwards to Wasps so he is most definitely in with a shout for a spot on the tour at least although Scrum Half is seriously competitive with Peel, Blair, Phillips and Ellis all in with a shout of a Test Spot. Looking forward to the Lions this year after that farce Woodward made us sit through last time. McGeechan has proven he knows how to win with the Lions and I expect the Series to be very competitive next time around.

From Ireland yeah Wallace, Heaslip, BOD, POC all worth a shout. Is there also not some tradition that they take in a sort of 'up and coming' club player who maybe hasn't made their mark on the International stage yet? If Earls has a good finish to the Heineken Cup he could be in with a shout for that spot!

gallsman

Anyone care to name what they reckon the squad will be? Here's my effort, with the squad being what I think will be picked and not what should be picked

FB - Kearney, Byrne. Tickets bought already. Only way the two of them won't be on the plane is injury.

Wing - Bowe, Sackey, Halfpenny, Williams, Evans/Fitzgerald

C - BOD, Roberts, Tindall, Evans. Henson/D'arcy

FH - ROG, Jones, Cipriani

SH - Phillips, Peel, AN Other

Prop - Jenkins, A. Jones, Hayes, Vickery

Hooker - Flannery, Mears, Rees

Lock - POC, AWJ, Kennedy, Gough/DOC

Back Row - Wallace, R. Jones, Heaslip, Powell, Haskell, J. White

Initial 35 man squad. Some of the English picks, in particular Vickery, Haskell and Cipriani are down to McGeechan going for homers.

Roger

Heaslip and Ferris would be good value.

gallsman

Quote from: Roger on February 16, 2009, 03:45:39 PM

I'm a big fan of Ferris, but just don't get the impression he'll make it. If he can remain consistent and avoid injury (which has been a big problem in the past), he'll definitely be in with a shout. Martyn Williams will also be looked at, but I think his performances have a dropped a few notches over the last  two years or so.

Hoof Hearted

you wouldnt be far away there gallsman
some of the scottish locks wont be far away, injury permitting
likewise Danny Care for SH. If he can get some gametime in the 6N and plays well for Harlequins in the HC, he will be on the plane.
if that tradition is right that screen is talking about, there is a guy from Bath, MAtt Banahan. A monster of a winger who would frighten the life out of the springboks.

Hound

Quote from: gallsman on February 16, 2009, 03:49:02 PM
Quote from: Roger on February 16, 2009, 03:45:39 PM

I'm a big fan of Ferris, but just don't get the impression he'll make it. If he can remain consistent and avoid injury (which has been a big problem in the past), he'll definitely be in with a shout. Martyn Williams will also be looked at, but I think his performances have a dropped a few notches over the last  two years or so.
Dunno about that. In my opinion Williams was the outstanding back row player of the 2008 Six Nations and I don't think Wallace has done enough in 2009 (yet) to displace him.

Ferris and Heaslip v Haskell and Easter next time could decide who goes on the plane. I'd be hopefuly McGeechan will pick on merit and not politics.

gallsman

I like McGeechan and he'll certainly be a lot more fair than Woodward was, but I don't think he'll be able to resist taking a few Wasps players. In my mind Vickery is as good as finished, but can't shake off the feeling that he'll be on the plane.

As for the "traditional" non-established player, he could very easily go for Tom Varndell.

Goats Do Shave

Armitage could be a threat at full back.

Gnevin

Ireland and Wales are going well with England improving . Looks like we will have to listen the Scots whinge again about only having 3/4 players on the squad.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hoof Hearted

now that you have highlighted the Wasps thing, what about Josh Lewsey ?
Saw an interview with him recently and the Lions tour is his main aim this season, now that Wasps season is effectively over.

tyroneboi

I dont think it will be far away from the squad which gallsman attempted.

Few names that could appear could be James Hook, Jonathan Thomas, Simon Taylor, Danny Care, Josh Lewsey (playing well for McGeechan at Wasps) and Rory Best maybe. Players probably only have a maximum of 6-8 games now to play their way into the squad.

To be honest options are quite restricted for the Lions due to the form of both Scotland and England while I still cant make my mind up about this Ireland squad just yet. There will obviously be a strong Welsh influence owing to their good form both at international and club level and both Gatland and Edwards having jobs with the Lions.

The captaincy issue is also an interesting one. O'Drico has unfinished business while O'Connell is also a big contender. Outside of Ryan Jones (who wouldn't be an automatic choice for the starting XV by any stretch of the imagination) there arent really many other options.

Really looking forward to the Lions tour this year. Woodward ruined it last time and McGeechan knows to create an atmosphere akin to the old style tours of the past as well as a winning one. I really fancy the Lions to win it 2-1.

Hound

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on February 16, 2009, 03:57:46 PM
Armitage could be a threat at full back.
To me he looks like a typical English full back of recent years. Excellent with ball in hand, but put him under pressure and he will make mistakes. Not a patch on Byrne or Kearney in my opinion.

I think people are overstating the Barbarian principle of picking one newcomer. I'd be very surprised if McGeechan did that.

gallsman

I'd like to take Jason White out of that squad I proposed, he just hasn't got it any more, but is still more than capable of putting in big hits. John Barclay will and should be a better oppositiong.

Was looking up some videos of that guy Banahan on YouTube -  te guy is an animal!

Roger

Quote from: gallsman on February 16, 2009, 03:49:02 PM
Ferris is peaking at the right time.  SA need to be taken on physically up front.  I expect the Irish back row all to be going. For me it is the most complete in 6N at moment and if, as I expect, Ireland do well in this tournament they will be hard to look past.  Immense against France and the work rate of the back 5 against Italy, who are one of the world's most physical packs, was very impressive.