Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Quote from: trim blue on July 03, 2011, 10:08:27 PM
Just what the doctor ordered, fair play to those young lads and the management. Is Tyrone football in crisis ;D. BTW Anglo Celt, saw an earlier post and I too was there in '69 for the AISF, still haven't forgiven Greenan for that free and to think we were gutted after dethroning the All Ireland Champions to win Ulster and only getting beaten in an AISF replay? Little did we know what was ahead of us..

unless I'm mistaken brought on as a feckin sub to replace the late great Charlie Gallagher just to really rub it in..............more importantly good outcome tonight. It's a long way back but we are starting to turn out lads who should have  no fear of their fellow Ulster teams which is an important start.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Babe Ruth 47

Do I sense a bandwagon coming?? Brilliant result, great lift for the county.

Very interesting listening to John Evans on the radio this morning talking about Tipps win, talking about it being a 3 year plan starting with a U-15 development squad. Same squad has won at U-15/16/17 and now 18. Goes to show with the right men at the right levers and a good system in place what can be done, even in weaker counties.

Denn Forever

We've nothing yet.

Has there not been an U16 development squad in Cavan for the last few years and we are beginning to see the fruits of it in the U21 and minor teams?

The big step will be translating it to the Senior team and best of luck to the Juniors on Wednesday.

Just thinking it will be interesting in the O'Mara household in a few years time.  Where do they play on the Bailieboro teams?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 04, 2011, 10:45:43 AM

Just thinking it will be interesting in the O'Mara household in a few years time.  Where do they play on the Bailieboro teams?

Id say there is a good chance they play in goals but i could be wrong.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 04, 2011, 10:45:43 AM
We've nothing yet.

Has there not been an U16 development squad in Cavan for the last few years and we are beginning to see the fruits of it in the U21 and minor teams?

The big step will be translating it to the Senior team and best of luck to the Juniors on Wednesday.

Interestingly Bailieborough have know produced the minor goalkeeper for the last 5 years.

2011: B O'Mara
2010: C Gilsenan
2009: C Gilsenan
2008: A O'Mara
2007: A O'Mara

A few clubs might be sniffing around looking for a goalkeeper, no more so than ourselves ;D I'm sure Kingscourt will be sniffing about too because I don't think any of them play out the field.

Delighted to see the Minors make a final. The u21 team this year came along and made a breakthrough and it looks like that is already feeding off on our younger players.

If only we can sort out this mess at senior level.

beer baron

Would i be right in saying our last minor victory in Ulster was in '74? Would be some achievement if the boys did it!

Denn Forever

Can anyone post the team from yesterday and the clubs they play for?  Only listened to it on Northern Sound and Michael was grudging on the details of the players. 

Only had an idea of where the players were from based on their names (O'Mara.  Does he have a brother that plays with the U21s, Bouchier, Dillon.  Didn't their Dads play for Cavan?  McVitee.  Wasn't his father ace marksman for Crosserlough back in the day?).  Are there any more?

A day out in Clones and best of luck to them.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tierworker blue

Quote from: beer baron on July 04, 2011, 12:00:10 PM
Would i be right in saying our last minor victory in Ulster was in '74? Would be some achievement if the boys did it!

Yep...last time we made a minor final was '88 afaik, and '74 was the last time we won it.

boojangles

Great result last nite. Goals came at the right time. I honestly think Finnegan was about to be replaced before he got the first goal but we got the bit of luck and fair play from the referee and it got us over the line.
Our Full-Back line was getting skinned in the first half but fair play to the Management, they didnt panic and had faith in the players to do a man marking job instead of trying a sweeper and it paid off in the 2nd half.
Moving Argue to midfield also had a big bearing on the result as he really got to grips with Tyrones main man and we won far more breaks in the 2nd half.
We are in the All-Ireland series now for the first time so we have at least 2 bites of the cherry.
Armagh looked very strong but we have some excellent forwards who will trouble any team. If the management can sort out the defence we will give it a good rattle.

boojangles

O Mara Bailieboro- Alans brother
Shankey- Shercock
Killian Clarke- Shercock
Moore- Ballyhaise
Gerard Smith-Lavey
Ciaran Brady- Arva
Andrew Dewart- Gowna
Liam Buchanan-Ballymachugh
Paul Graham- Cavan Gaels- Mickeys brother
Dara Mc Veety- Crosserlough- Johns son
Joe Dillon-Kingscourt- Joes son
Michael Argue- Bailieboro
Andy Graham- Cavan Gaels- Pauls brother
Kevin Bouchier-Arva- Mels son
Conor Finnegan-Lacken

Subs used
Conor Moynagh- Drumgoon
Nevin O Donnell- Shannon Gaels
Vinny Coyle- Cavan Gaels
Gary Tubman- Drumlane

tommysmith

Will be good craic looking for tickets now.

BigMac

Anyone know the team that started, and any subs used?

PhilsJemmysField

Report of Cavan website

Cavan 2-13 Tyrone 2-10

Two second-half goals from Conor Finnegan booked Cavan's final spot although a goal with a minute to go by Tyrone full-back Sean Molloy made it a tense finish yesterday.

Tyrone were a point up at the break but it was Cavan who played the better football in the second half. Finnegan scored his first goal after a surging run saw him leave a trail of opponents in his wake. Tyrone did hit back but Finnegan's second was the difference at the end when he side-footed home.

Scorers -- Cavan: C Finnegan 2-0, D McVeety 0-3, F Moore, J Dillon 0-2 each, K Bouchier (1f), M Argue, N O'Donnell, P Graham, A Graham, V Coyle 0-1 each. Tyrone: D McCurry 0-6 (5f), D McNulty 1-1, S Molloy 1-0 ,M Cassidy, P Baker, R Mayse 0-1 each.

Cavan -- B O'Mara; B Sankey, K Clarke, F Moore; G Smith, C Brady, D McVeety; P Graham, L Buchanan; A Dewart, J Dillon, M Argue; A Graham, K Bouchier, C Finnegan. Subs: C Moynagh for Buchanan (h-t), V Coyle for Moore (49), N O'Donnell for McVeety (50), G Tubman for A Graham (58)

Tyrone -- M McReynolds; M McKeever, S Molloy, B Burns; M Heagney, C McAleer, T McCarron; P Barker, N Donaghy; M Cassidy, J Munroe, D McNulty; D McCurry, C McCullagh, S Hackett. Subs: R Brennan for McAleer (17), R Devlin for Munroe (38), R Mayse for Finnegan (49)

Ref -- B Rice (Down)

cavanmaniac

Hats off to all concerned, I genuinely wasn't expecting this as years of disappointments at underage - particularly at the hands of Tyrone - have taught me to expect very little, but this is just what the doctor ordered after the shambles that was our senior campaign this year.

Armagh will be very strong but at last we're in a final and have two goes at it, if nothing else it'll bring the young fellas on a tonne to get out of the province by either front door or back. Absolutely delighted. ;D

Westside

Not appearing in an Ulster Minor final for 23 years is crazy.. We've failed to win 2 (or 3 for the years we were in preliminary rounds) Minor Championship games back to back since '88..?!

It's great that even if they lose the Final they're still in the AIQF.. But they'll be hungry for silverware and with the Winners facing the Connacht runners up it's a much easier route to Croker.

Booj were you at the game? Was Cavan's defence as shaky as it sounded on the radio? It seemed that Tyrone were through on goal time after time especially in the first half..