Saorview in Belfast

Started by under the bar, March 02, 2013, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Does anyone know if a Saorview box will work in Belfast? 

Ulick

Depends where you are.

http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Click 'show coverage'  and zoom to your location. 

omagh_gael

Got a TV recently that has inbuilt free view but it's the UK version. I've got a Now tv stick for GoT and firestick for netflix/kodi. However, I'm keen to get access to RTE.

Any recommendations for good Saorview boxes? Is there any that have a recording function built in or is it possible to hook up and external hard drive to record?

I'm in the Carrickmore area in Tyrone. Anyone relatively close by that can give feedback on signal strength. The closest mast is showing up as being in Sligo.

armaghniac

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 02, 2019, 03:45:05 PM
Got a TV recently that has inbuilt free view but it's the UK version. I've got a Now tv stick for GoT and firestick for netflix/kodi. However, I'm keen to get access to RTE.

Any recommendations for good Saorview boxes? Is there any that have a recording function built in or is it possible to hook up and external hard drive to record?

I'm in the Carrickmore area in Tyrone. Anyone relatively close by that can give feedback on signal strength. The closest mast is showing up as being in Sligo.

A modern Freeview HD set will receive Saorview fine without any extra kit, if you have a signal. The channels will be 800+.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

giveherlong

You'll need the correct aerial as well- UHF TV Aerial

omagh_gael

Cheers lads. Anyone any experience of IPTV? Is RTE available there?

armaghniac

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 02, 2019, 10:50:21 PM

Remember that RTÉ and TG4 are broadcast in NI also. Which transmitter do you get NI stations from?

giveherlong

What's the frequency change going to mean for those currently receiving Saorview in the North?

Any experience of outside aerials/boosters on house to boost o2 signal in the house? Foil back insulation keeps the signal out...

giveherlong

Yes. Check android box thread
However I would get it sorted so you receive through aerial/Saorview as well

armaghniac

Anyone buying a set without Freeview HD compatibility in 2019 is engaging in false economy.

omagh_gael

Cheers for all the heads up. It was a tv that was given to me so unsure about the exact technical specifications yet.

Fionn, cheers for all that info. I'll look into it over the weekend.

Itchy

If you pm I'll fill you in on iptv, you do get RTE on it yes

APM

Quick (perhaps silly) question:
Based in the North
Thinking of purchasing a TV
When I check a lot of the bargains and whether the models support Saorview, they aren't listed on the Saorview website
Was kind of hoping that this was a sort of legacy issue and modern TVs will support Saorview for Digital TV.
Is it still necessary to check if it supports Saorview?

armaghniac

Quote from: APM on November 27, 2020, 09:06:27 AM
Based in the North
When I check a lot of the bargains and whether the models support Saorview, they aren't listed on the Saorview website
Was kind of hoping that this was a sort of legacy issue and modern TVs will support Saorview for Digital TV.

It is mostly a  legacy issue, but any Freeview HD set should support Saorview.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2020, 10:59:32 AM
Quote from: APM on November 27, 2020, 09:06:27 AM
Based in the North

It is mostly a  legacy issue, but any Freeview HD set should support Saorview.

But it off Watters Electrical in Culloville and they will make sure there's Saorview on it