Prepaid Credit Cards

Started by J OGorman, July 17, 2013, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Anyone recommend a goodin? I'm massively crap with money, wouldnt trust myself with a credit card. Looking into a prepaid card to put some cash in and use it abroad and the likes

thanks

God14

Your man of the TV, Martin Lewis runs this website. Its very good for stuff like that, http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

Rois

Quote from: J OGorman on July 17, 2013, 04:48:49 PM
Anyone recommend a goodin? I'm massively crap with money, wouldnt trust myself with a credit card. Looking into a prepaid card to put some cash in and use it abroad and the likes

thanks

I take it a Visa Debit card is no good to you?  Accepted wherever Visa is accepted.

Syferus

3V vouchers seem to be everywhere so they'd be your best option for convenience.

J OGorman

Quote from: Rois on July 17, 2013, 04:55:17 PM

thanks

I take it a Visa Debit card is no good to you?  Accepted wherever Visa is accepted.

i have a Visa debit, and didnt know it was the same as, or used worldwide the same as visa...everyday is a school day!! (and the age of me :-[ )

Denn Forever

Or

PostFX™ cards at the post office – safer, cheaper holiday money

The summer holiday trail begins at the local Post Office for many Irish holidaymakers. Now An Post has introduced PostFX™ pre-paid Sterling and US Dollar cards that take the stress and worry out of carrying cash when you're travelling to the US or the UK. And they're fast becoming a 'must have' for the savvy traveller.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/About+An+Post/Media+Centre/Press+Releases/2013/Postfx.htm
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rois

Visa debit also carries the same purchase protection as regular visa card - my friend bought furniture with one and was able to recoup from visa when the shop went into administration.

DickyRock

Visa don't actually refund you. They never have you money in the first place. They are just the network that connect banks together. It would've been the shops bank( merchant bank) that refunded you. Visa has no liabilities on the credit at all and just make their money on same transaction fees.

Rois

Sorry I got the technicalities wrong! Message remains the same.

DickyRock

Quote from: Rois on July 17, 2013, 07:20:04 PM

Sorry Rois didn't mean to come across that way. Easy money for the card networks, only viable threat is mobile payments.

Rois

Quote from: DickyRock on July 17, 2013, 07:24:22 PM
Quote from: Rois on July 17, 2013, 07:20:04 PM

Sorry Rois didn't mean to come across that way. Easy money for the card networks, only viable threat is mobile payments.
:)

I worked on a company that offers to let you pay in your own currency if you're paying with card when away. Money for old rope. I NEVER use that, especially if paying with visa debit.

Tony Baloney

thanks
Wrap a bundle of cash in an elastic band.

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 17, 2013, 09:14:39 PM
Anyone recommend a goodin? I'm massively crap with money, wouldnt trust myself with a credit card. Looking into a prepaid card to put some in and cash in and use it abroad and the likes

thanks
Wrap a bundle of cash in an elastic band.

Shouldn't he get a cowboy hat too? A cigar might be a step too far.

I switched my account to Ulster Bank a few years years back because they were the only major bank offering Visa Debit cards at that point and not those stupid Laser cards that worked almost no where online. They all offer them at this point as far as I know.