Manchesteeeeeeeeeeeeer

Started by J OGorman, October 13, 2011, 04:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Hello

Off to Manchester next month for a bit of music. Staying on Sackville St. Anyone recommend any decent bars for a pint? Cosy, friendly, relaxed kinda places

cheers

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

J OGorman

laceer

If you're going to the Academy, there's a bar called Big Hands next door. It's tiny but there's usually a good buzz about it before gigs. Oldham Street has a few decent bars for afterwards. 

laoislad

Quote from: J OGorman on October 13, 2011, 04:44:00 PM
Hello

Off to Manchester next month for a bit of music. Staying on Sackville St. Anyone recommend any decent bars for a pint? Cosy, friendly, relaxed kinda places

cheers

You've no point in asking any of the Man United fans anyway as most would never have been.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J OGorman on October 13, 2011, 04:44:00 PM
Manchesteeeeeeeeeeeeer

It's pronounced "Manchestaw."

Been so long since I lived there I've lost track of where to go now. We used to knock about around Deansgate, start off at the Moon Under Water (which is a bog standard Weatherspoons pub) and work our way along Deansgate.  When I lived in Stockport I'd go to Didsbury which has a great little strip of pubs. In them days the pubs closed at 11:00 so we'd all pile into the buses and go up to the city centre for a late bar or a club, then get the bus back stopping off in Rusholme for a curry. Good times.

screenexile

Depends what you're after, the Oyster Pub just beside the Arndale is a great spot during the day. For a bit of student living get the bus down to Fallowfield. Irish Bars would be O'Sheas usually and Mulligans on a Sunday night, which if they have the same group who used to play when I lived there will be a great Sunday night!!

Eamonnca1

Jesus, O'Shea's! I remember when it opened, it was one of the first Irish pubs in town to have anything authentically Irish about it, like the staff.  And around the corner was a great hunting ground of ours - Canal St.  It's not what you think. The male:female ratio there was a whole lot better because the rougher (homophobic) element tends to stay away so the smart women go there where they feel safe.  Hence the place was full of top quality straight women and not many straight fellas to compete with.

I was in one of them clubs one night with some mates and got snogging this older yoke. I asked her who she was with and she pointed to a fella walking over from the dance floor, "my husband" she says.  Before I had time to panic he walks up to me and says "Alright mate?" and offered me some poppers which were all the rage back then.  Friendly as anything.

Gawd there are times when I miss Manchester!

laceer

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 13, 2011, 09:23:29 PM
Jesus, O'Shea's! I remember when it opened, it was one of the first Irish pubs in town to have anything authentically Irish about it, like the staff.  And around the corner was a great hunting ground of ours - Canal St.  It's not what you think. The male:female ratio there was a whole lot better because the rougher (homophobic) element tends to stay away so the smart women go there where they feel safe.  Hence the place was full of top quality straight women and not many straight fellas to compete with.

I was in one of them clubs one night with some mates and got snogging this older yoke. I asked her who she was with and she pointed to a fella walking over from the dance floor, "my husband" she says.  Before I had time to panic he walks up to me and says "Alright mate?" and offered me some poppers which were all the rage back then.  Friendly as anything.

Gawd there are times when I miss Manchester!

O Shea's is pretty rough now-only gets a crowd in when United are playing. Don't wear a pair of good shoes into it anyway!

+1 on Canal Street being the spot for picking up women. Clubs all stay open until about 7 in the morning as well. You're likely to be offered something a bit stronger than poppers now though!

Steer well clear of the printworks. Full of 16 year olds and scallies

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

thejuice

Head out to the Peak District for a ramble. Buxton is a nice town to visit too.

Manchester is probably the most boring city I've been to.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J OGorman

cheers men, esp Mr Unique  ;)

Big Hands (maybe know locally as Schmeichels?) and The Ducie will do the job. Maybe a bit long in the tooth for chasing skirt !