Down v Armagh (Park Esler 16:00) 19/05/2019

Started by illdecide, May 06, 2019, 10:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyDupree

They said on BBC that Clarke doesn't play club football?

Solo_run

Quote from: RandyDupree on May 19, 2019, 07:26:13 PM

Think he opted out of playing for Cross this year.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Solo_run on May 19, 2019, 07:28:11 PM

Correct. Baffling that a man can play for his county yet refuses to play for his club.

Over the Bar

Quote from: snoopdog on May 19, 2019, 06:43:01 PM
Disappointing at the end. Downs lack of discipline cost them the game. Mooney getting sent off then Burns turned everything in Armaghs favour.  Did well though to get it to extra time. But then couldn't finish it off. Not much between them.

Entertaining enough fayre from the 2 teams currently regarded as 'toilet-brushes' of Ulster football.  Fittingly played in the 'bog' marshes!  ;D. Doubtful if Cavan will have anything to fear from an Armagh side who couldn't put 14-man Down away in 70 mins?

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 19, 2019, 08:22:30 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on May 19, 2019, 07:28:11 PM

Correct. Baffling that a man can play for his county yet refuses to play for his club.

And a club where he is likely to get additional silverware.

Mind you, today he looks like he could do with the additional practice.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Over the Bar

Quote from: hardstation on May 19, 2019, 08:26:41 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on May 19, 2019, 08:24:37 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 19, 2019, 06:43:01 PM
Disappointing at the end. Downs lack of discipline cost them the game. Mooney getting sent off then Burns turned everything in Armaghs favour.  Did well though to get it to extra time. But then couldn't finish it off. Not much between them.

Entertaining enough fayre from the 2 teams currently regarded as 'toilet-brushes' of Ulster football.  Fittingly played in the 'bog' marshes!  ;D. Doubtful if Cavan will have anything to fear from an Armagh side who couldn't put 10-man Down away in 70 mins?
Couldn't beat 10 men? That is bad.

Ah ha! Meant 14 I'll give you that ;)

Aaron Boone

Thought McGeeney came up trumps when it mattered. Key decisions were made under pressure on the line. A highly-rated manager, not just at Ulster-level, but at national level. 

Cunny Funt

Watching the game on BBC now, that was some pass and finish for that Armagh goal in extra time.

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 19, 2019, 08:48:45 PM
Watching the game on BBC now, that was some pass and finish for that Armagh goal in extra time.
BBC not afford to show the score?! Very annoying.

Over the Bar

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 19, 2019, 08:47:32 PM
Thought McGeeney came up trumps when it mattered. Key decisions were made under pressure on the line. A highly-rated manager, not just at Ulster-level, but at national level.

If it takes 5 years of trying to get your first SFC win and that makes you 'highly rated' then there can't be that many managers in the history of Ulster GAA who aren't regarded as 'highly rated'?  ??? ;D ;D

LCohen

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 19, 2019, 08:47:32 PM

Presumably tongue in cheek.

Some crazy stuff from the line today. The decision to not push up on their kick outs from the off (again!!!!!!) instead of having the balls to go for it was baffling. Then not really doing it with the man advantage even more so. We have no real strategy on our own kick outs. Closing out the 70 mins by kicking each one long, conceding possession, conceding a score, building Down momentum and kicking it long again. All with the man advantage and the clock ticking down. No senior player talking to the keeper. Nobody making a run. Nobody from the the line trying to get the message out there. You would question whether we work on kick outs

Don't have to go gung-ho but we need to build a team and game plan based upon our attacking strength

bennydorano

Jesus, watched it there without knowing the score, entertaining but pretty pathetic from Armagh in the inability  to close that out in normal time.

Hopefully with a that bit of a monkey of our backs we'll settle down now and give Cavan a game.

An Watcher

Jesus lads, yes exciting but brutal to watch.  I could have cried when i seen there was going to be extra time.  Just wanted put out of my misery.  Can't just say it is only these 2 teams tho either, Gaelic football overall is getting worse

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Watcher on May 19, 2019, 09:15:37 PM
Jesus lads, yes exciting but brutal to watch.  I could have cried when i seen there was going to be extra time.  Just wanted put out of my misery.  Can't just say it is only these 2 teams tho either, Gaelic football overall is getting worse

Very negative view. Just watched the full game and found it enjoyable.