Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catch and Kick

Westmeath and Offaly played out a 0-10 each draw today.
If football was considered to be in a bad place before these rules, it is in a ten times worse place now.

Both teams guilty of ridiculous turn overs, both teams engaging is 5 metres kick passes, at least 2 35 metre kick passes back to goal keepers.

Both teams flooding back on sideline kicks.

Both teams counting others hand passes and calling 3 when on 2 to influence referee into making a wrong call.

Still baffled that the 'tackle' is as vague as ever. Some times the player in possession blown for over carrying when being tackled by 3 players 'hammering him..other times free for him, and yet many more times where frees are given for incidental contact........

This is mad stuff.............

mrdeeds

Having seeing rules first hand today you're denying goal chances and benefiting the full back line.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 30, 2018, 05:19:57 PM
Having seeing rules first hand today you're denying goal chances and benefiting the full back line.

They def need tweaking. I think when you enter oppositions 45 there shouldn't  be a limit on hand passes. Unfortunately Down sat back in ultra defensive formation even when cavan had a man sin binned. It might take time for these idiot coaches to see the error of their ways. The sideline kick forward is really dumb and should be scrapped. I think the ref forgot about the offensive Mark in 1st half!

tippabu

Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2018, 07:19:15 PM

They def need tweaking. I think when you enter oppositions 45 there should begin limit on hand passes. Unfortunately Down sat back in ultra defensive formation even when cavan had a man sin binned. It might take time for these idiot coaches to see the error of their ways. The sideline kick forward is really dumb and should be scrapped. I think the ref forgot about the offensive Mark in 1st half!

I am the complete opposite, i think inside the opposition 45 the limit should begin, this is where handpassing is effective in breaking down a defense, outside the 45 going side to side is where it should be limited for me

mrdeeds

Itchy

Quote from: tippabu on December 30, 2018, 08:37:29 PM

They def need tweaking. I think when you enter oppositions 45 there should begin limit on hand passes. Unfortunately Down sat back in ultra defensive formation even when cavan had a man sin binned. It might take time for these idiot coaches to see the error of their ways. The sideline kick forward is really dumb and should be scrapped. I think the ref forgot about the offensive Mark in 1st half!

I am the complete opposite, i think inside the opposition 45 the limit should begin, this is where handpassing is effective in breaking down a defense, outside the 45 going side to side is where it should be limited for me

Sorry, bloody predictive text. I was trying to say the same as you.

tippabu

Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2018, 08:47:47 PM

haha i have no idea what we think, i made a bollix of my reply 1st.....anyway, i think no limit in opposition 45 and a limit outside the 45 and back. I still havent seen the rules 1st hand so i am still speculating

Itchy

Quote from: tippabu on December 30, 2018, 10:13:02 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2018, 08:47:47 PM

haha i have no idea what we think, i made a bollix of my reply 1st.....anyway, i think no limit in opposition 45 and a limit outside the 45 and back. I still havent seen the rules 1st hand so i am still speculating

That's it!!

All fouls today in Cavan v down were in the attacking half of the field.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Itchy on December 23, 2018, 09:26:15 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on December 22, 2018, 01:07:44 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 21, 2018, 11:54:38 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on December 10, 2018, 12:22:26 PM

Is it not apparent to everyone that none of these proposals - least of all the handpass restriction - are going to discourage packing defences? Quite the opposite.

Nope. I think 3 handpass rule, while a bit crude, will encourage teams to push up on the opposition and force them into a mistake.

You haven't a clue then

Fantastic comment. You really showed me. If only I knew as much about football as you, I can only dream.

What do you think now Brains?

Itchy

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 31, 2018, 02:05:41 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 23, 2018, 09:26:15 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on December 22, 2018, 01:07:44 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 21, 2018, 11:54:38 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on December 10, 2018, 12:22:26 PM

Is it not apparent to everyone that none of these proposals - least of all the handpass restriction - are going to discourage packing defences? Quite the opposite.

Nope. I think 3 handpass rule, while a bit crude, will encourage teams to push up on the opposition and force them into a mistake.

You haven't a clue then

Fantastic comment. You really showed me. If only I knew as much about football as you, I can only dream.

What do you think now Brains?

Well I wrote what I thought above blindboy. However I won't be doing a 180 degree based on one McKenna cup game

tippabu

All the talk on these new rules, one i would love to see come in happened in the mayo leitrim game today and that for the game to be decided on penalties. 45s and 65s seemed very anticlimactic last year when used, penalties at least add alot more drama to things and give a chance for a keeper to be the hero instead of player taking a 45 to be the villain

Cunny Funt

Quote from: tippabu on January 06, 2019, 03:46:50 PM
All the talk on these new rules, one i would love to see come in happened in the mayo leitrim game today and that for the game to be decided on penalties. 45s and 65s seemed very anticlimactic last year when used, penalties at least add alot more drama to things and give a chance for a keeper to be the hero instead of player taking a 45 to be the villain

Would it not be better to have extra time before penalties though?

tippabu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 06, 2019, 03:59:25 PM
Quote from: tippabu on January 06, 2019, 03:46:50 PM

Would it not be better to have extra time before penalties though?

yes.....i just am comparing 45s to penalties as a form of getting a result on the day. Yeah, 2 periods of 10 mins extra time for me, get rid of the 2nd 5 min periods they have

Joe Mc Nallys Ballsack

I have to say I like Brolly's ideas

- no pass back into your own half
- Goalkeeper cannot be used in open play
- the idea of an exclusion zone ( very difficult to implement at club level)
- kickouts past the 45metre  line

Worth a trial in my view

Itchy

So when did a penalty shoot out get added to the rules? I thoight it free taking competition?