The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2018, 10:43:31 PM
At best Palace might have got a draw out of that game as they defended well for most of the game but apart from one pop shot from Townsend they were fairly toothless going forward. The standing ovations for players getting sent off I'll never understand but to be far to the lad if the VAR was in place they probably would have overruled that red as Salah lost control of the ball.

Salah had control until he was fouled.

Thought the penalty was soft enough. Sahko certainly had a few digs at him, but could he have stayed on his feet? But then they all seem to go down these days...

Great three points overall. Not many will beat Palace at home.

Keira looks a fantastic buy.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: J70 on August 20, 2018, 11:53:01 PM
At best Palace might have got a draw out of that game as they defended well for most of the game but apart from one pop shot from Townsend they were fairly toothless going forward. The standing ovations for players getting sent off I'll never understand but to be far to the lad if the VAR was in place they probably would have overruled that red as Salah lost control of the ball.

Thought the penalty was soft enough. Sahko certainly had a few digs at him, but could he have stayed on his feet? But then they all seem to go down these days...

Don't think so. Was fouled after his heavy touch of the ball. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8r2ZiCJqEc

gawa316

She's does indeed!

I sent a text to a mate saying 'Baby Keira's turn was pure filth!' :-X

laoislad

Sakho was clearly fouling Salah. He tried to trip him a couple of times and he had a hold of his jersey.
He was fouling him inside the box therefore it's a penalty.
Not every penalty has to be a two footed lunge at a players leg. It was a clear penalty.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 20, 2018, 10:16:15 PM
Was relieved to see Mane wrap it up, great three points.  Van dijk is something else, what a performance.

VVD was immense , but i also thought Gomez had a great game along side him. I would love to see him get a run of games now at CB and see if he can stake a claim
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: laoislad on August 21, 2018, 09:01:37 AM
Sakho was clearly fouling Salah. He tried to trip him a couple of times and he had a hold of his jersey.
Not every penalty has to be a two footed lunge at a players leg. It was a clear penalty.

Agreed. It doesn't matter how soft it looked or if he went down easily. He was clearly tripped.
If VAR was in operation the penalty would have been given.

Hound

Penalty was stonewall.

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 21, 2018, 09:38:08 AM
Was relieved to see Mane wrap it up, great three points.  Van dijk is something else, what a performance.

VVD was immense , but i also thought Gomez had a great game along side him. I would love to see him get a run of games now at CB and see if he can stake a claim

Agreed. Not fully sure about Gomez, but I'd like to see him get a good run at it.

Salah not quite at full pelt yet and BobbyF a bit below that. Mane looking extremely sharp though.
I've no time for Lallana. And his silly foul at the end cemented that!
A bit peeved with Klopp for bringing on Sturridge with 5 seconds left. Really don't understand that. Would have liked to see him get at least a few minutes, but nothing would be better than 5 seconds!

Overall we weren't great. But when you keep a clean sheet, you don't have to be great to win the game! 

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on August 21, 2018, 09:50:28 AM
Penalty was stonewall.

Agreed. Not fully sure about Gomez, but I'd like to see him get a good run at it.

Salah not quite at full pelt yet and BobbyF a bit below that. Mane looking extremely sharp though.
A bit peeved with Klopp for bringing on Sturridge with 5 seconds left. Really don't understand that. Would have liked to see him get at least a few minutes, but nothing would be better than 5 seconds!

Overall we weren't great. But when you keep a clean sheet, you don't have to be great to win the game!

Sturridge coming on with 5 seconds to go - looks a win bonus substitution.  The kind of substitution usually given to the younger lower waged players at a club.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Hound on August 21, 2018, 09:50:28 AM
Penalty was stonewall.

I agree about Firmino and Salah, they dont look up to speed yet, but i suppose it took them a few games to get going last season too....

Mane and Kieta where both excellent and where involved in pretty much everything good Liverpool did. That turn and ball over the top from Kieta was somkething else and deserved to be finished by salah.
Milner and Gini both put in a solid shift and worked hard.
Unusually the final ball from TAA wasnt great, but he was solid defensively and offered a great outlet on that wing
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

J70

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 21, 2018, 12:30:51 AM

Don't think so. Was fouled after his heavy touch of the ball. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8r2ZiCJqEc

I've changed my mind, but only to the extent that I think it is impossible to tell for sure either way.

Clear foul though and from the ref's view a nailed-on red.

J70

Quote from: laoislad on August 21, 2018, 09:01:37 AM

Fair enough.

In a contact sport, however, there's always room for fouling by the defender and exaggeration by the attacker.

But... would the ref have blown for the foul had Mo stayed on his feet?

Which is obviously why we get the exaggerated response from attackers?

Sorry for the useless fence sitting. :)

supersub

Clear pen & clear red card.

If either had been given against I would have no complaints.

Sakho tried to get the ball a couple of times and failed. Salah within his rights to go down as the likelyhood is if he stayed on his feet which he did try to do initially  it wouldn't have been given and it was clearly a foul.

TabClear

Arab group apparently made an offer last year of £2bn. Serious return for FSG given they paid £300m for the club, even with the level of investment they have overseen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-england-liverpool-sale/cousin-of-manchester-city-owner-failed-in-offer-for-liverpool-daily-mail-idUSL3N1VE6FF?rpc=401&;

Gabriel_Hurl

Why would you want to get rid of FSG at this stage?

They've put their money where their mouth is - backed the manager financially, redeveloping Anfield from within. 

Armamike

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 24, 2018, 01:28:47 PM
Why would you want to get rid of FSG at this stage?

They've put their money where their mouth is - backed the manager financially, redeveloping Anfield from within.

No complaints with them all.  When they took over Liverpool as a club had been badly run for a couple of decades, under developed and nowhere near tapping into its massive potential (global name and fanbase). They have slowly but surely moved the club forward and should they wish to sell, they will get a nice windfall.  They will leave the club in a far better place than they found it.
That's just, like your opinion man.