The Big Bailout of the Eurozone (Another crisis coming? - Seriously)

Started by muppet, September 28, 2008, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

A huge victory for white collar corruption and the political classes today.

Hard to believe that Fitzpatrick and people of his ilk have got away scot free for playing Russian Roulette with taxpayers money, but strangely not surprising either.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: yellowcard on May 23, 2017, 05:24:27 PM

Hard to believe that Fitzpatrick and people of his ilk have got away scot free for playing Russian Roulette with taxpayers money, but strangely not surprising either.

But you go to jail for doing the double.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 23, 2017, 05:30:55 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 23, 2017, 05:24:27 PM

But you go to jail for doing the double.

Leo is the man to clamp down on the scourge of welfare fraud
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Rossfan

Indeed and no doubt Seànie is the sort that gets up for work in the morning.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Disgraceful. He'll probably now look for compo for lost earnings and damage to his reputation off the state.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on May 23, 2017, 03:51:13 PM
I presume the thing wasn't proved beyond reasonable doubt??
Any way he had his minions to do the dirty work and  other doubt didn't put any instructions in writing guides, email etc.
Fcukn Cnut😠
Didn't even get to the stage of unreasonable doubt cause of the absolute clusterfuck of a dishonest state that we operate in.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

armaghniac

Seanie might be a bollix, but he is entitled to due process.
There is a need for investigation of the regulators, who don't seem to know what they are at, first letting the likes of Anglo do what they liked and then coaching witnesses afterwards.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trueblue1234

Quote from: armaghniac on May 23, 2017, 09:10:39 PM
There is a need for investigation of the regulators, who don't seem to know what they are at, first letting the likes of Anglo do what they liked and then coaching witnesses afterwards.

He's entitled to due process alright. But I don't believe it wasn't. I think it was a farce. A get out of jail for one of the boys. You can believe that it was incompetency. I believe it is just corruption.

The Subbie

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 23, 2017, 09:50:33 PM

He's entitled to due process alright. But I don't believe it wasn't. I think it was a farce. A get out of jail for one of the boys. You can believe that it was incompetency. I believe it is just corruption.

I wish we had a like button,I'd wear it out for this.
Well said, nail on head.

magpie seanie

Quote from: The Subbie on May 23, 2017, 09:54:04 PM

I wish we had a like button,I'd wear it out for this.
Well said, nail on head.

I agree. I'd say they're all drinking champagne in some gold club somewhere now.

armaghniac

Once again you are choosing to "believe" without knowing the facts, that approach is where the problem lies.

Having watched RTÉ on the matter, I suspect that they just didn't fork out for a lawyer used to running a heavyweight criminal trial and the desk lawyers on the staff simply weren't used to it. Criminal work must be beyond reasonable doubt and you need to be clear what you are at.

Declan

QuoteI suspect that they just didn't fork out for a lawyer used to running a heavyweight criminal trial and the desk lawyers on the staff simply weren't used to it. Criminal work must be beyond reasonable doubt and you need to be clear what you are at.

Spot on so questions to be asked should include:
How could the ODCE leave a lawyer with no criminal law experience in charge of one of the most high profile banking cases in State history?
ODCE claims it reformed in 2012 after shambolic Sean Fitzpatrick inquiry. Really? It had ZERO forensic accountants employed between 2015-16
Central Bank set up hotline for whistleblowers in 2014. This yr, Indo revealed it had no one assigned to answer calls & no answering machine

The conspiracy theorist in me says the answers are obvious - there was never any intention or will to prosecute Seanie - the lead investigator shredded evidence and then went sick on stress related leave -
Coaching witnesses -writing statements for them and copying sections from one to another - all sounds very familiar MO for our ruling classes

trueblue1234

Quote from: armaghniac on May 24, 2017, 12:48:36 AM

Once again you are choosing to "believe" without knowing the facts, that approach is where the problem lies.

Having watched RTÉ on the matter, I suspect that they just didn't fork out for a lawyer used to running a heavyweight criminal trial and the desk lawyers on the staff simply weren't used to it. Criminal work must be beyond reasonable doubt and you need to be clear what you are at.

I agree I am choosing to believe. It's a judgement call. Just the same as you believe that they "Didn't fork out for a lawyer used to running a heavyweight criminal trial". I actually find that option less believable. I said at the start of this trial that they would end up getting him off on a technicality (I actually thought they would have the decency to convict him of some of the lower end charges!!) and low and behold the judge stops it going to a jury.  It's corruption, and I think most people will see it for that. We knew the politics of the country were  corrupt as f&8k, but you would hope the courts would be unaffected.

armaghniac

Well of course if Seanie had been brought down other stories about the regulator over the years might have emerged as well, we couldn't have that, could we?
But the point is that we live in a place where nobody will hold anyone responsible for this and if they had hired a team of crack lawyers this would have led to just as much complaint about spending money and where if a forensic accountant earns more than the "average industrial wage" then there are many on the left and right of politics who would prevent the State hiring him.

trueblue1234

We had an opportunity to hold someone responsible. But as you say focus on Fitzpatrick would have resulted in even more corruption by the regulator coming to light. So I believe, as Declan says, there was a deal cut to get Fitz off on all charges and a big brush to sweep it under the carpet.
I would rather there was people crying about the cost of the trial than on the honesty and integrity of the state/courts. It's made a joke out of the whole thing. But there's not be a thing done or said about it cause realistically what can be done. Just accept that we're in a corrupt state with no backbone.