China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Not sure about the next few days but I think it'll happen and will happen here too.

screenexile

Italy with 919 deaths in the last 24 hours!!!

Rich Ricci

180 odd deaths in UK. 919 in Italy.

UK deaths could be scary this next time week.

*not that 180 in a day isn't scary

Solo_run

For those of us that do survive COVID-19 I think we have to take into consideration the damage it does to the lung's long term and how it will effect our ability to fight respiratory illnesses in the future.

quit yo jibbajabba

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rich Ricci on March 27, 2020, 04:46:11 PM

It's coming :(

armaghniac

180 deaths odd in UK. 919 in Italy.

And 769 in Spain, which would have been a record if the Italians had not broken their own record.
But even the Netherlands has had 112 deaths and it was hardly on the radar a couple of weeks ago (I was supposed to go there last week and had been reading about it).

However, it is also clear that some employers here have refused to get on board, Linden foods in Dungannon was mentioned. How hard is it to stagger breaks, ensure there are queues at start and end of work and provide some washing facilities?  After this all premises should have adequate washing facilities even if they remain partly unused.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 26, 2020, 05:46:21 PM
What's the thoughts on the chancellor's announcement?

I fall in between the cracks as have only been self employed for a few months. Feel sick  :-\

Wife's in the same boat, out on her own since November. Won't get a penny either because of savings.

I don't know why they can't go back and look at an individuals last 3 years P60's . So many people getting shafted, I'd have always classed those who are the sole director in a ltd company as self employed. Everyone I know who's out on their own and off the top of my head I can think of about 20 people and their all sole director ltd companies.

seafoid

the UK seems to be 2 weeks behind Italy
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RadioGAAGAA

F88k sake.

I don't want to get drawn into one of these about something that is all wrong.

Quote from: Solo_run on March 27, 2020, 03:53:46 PM
If you have ever done research you will know that it is impossible to account for all factors, especially at this time when there's more emphasis on controlling it. It's not as simple as looking at relationships such as the hotter it is the more ice creams are bought.

I've a phd. I know how to separate the wheat from the chaff thank you very much.

Genetics, culture, underlying conditions, virus mutation, immunity, age, gender, exposure to the virus, social distancing, travelling, diet, medication, air quality, lifestyle, pregnancy.... These are all factors that are to be considered. Why? Because the virus is new and nothing is known about it. Something as trivial as taking ibuprofen has been implicated in complications of Coronavirus and undoubtedly there will be more.

Yes, all factors - yet not one of the bolded ones are either relevant or real.
Those not bolded are not significant when considered in the context of comparing the UK vs Italy. Or France vs. Italy. Or the rest of China vs Wuhan.

Factors affect details. In some cases the details can add up to something comprehensive - but the chances of that here are tending to zero.

Please keep in mind - the biggest issue with the Oxford model is the curve of critical cases as observed now. It simply cannot be reconciled with a significant degree of exposure occurring across the population in January/February.

With regards to GPs sending patients home - this would have happened before the awareness of the virus.

So December to early January?

What happens from mid January to start of March?

Deaths that have occurred before the outbreak could have been contributed to Pneumonia complications as a result of influenza.

That is simply not credible man.

For the Oxford projection, the curve of pneumonia related deaths would be advanced by several weeks - back into early February. Do you really think significant numbers (of the order of hundreds/day) would have died of pneumonia without an autopsy and post-mortem revealing COVID-19? Particularly given the WHO released their preliminary report and accompanying warnings at the end of Jan?

Come on FFS!

On another note how many people do you think have died of Flu in the last few weeks? I bet there have been quite a few. I fully support lockdown being implemented because not a lot is known about CV at present and people should be worried yet remain calm. The only thing you can do is what has been suggested.

Died of flu or died of viral infection with respiratory problems?

The common flu does not present in the same manner as COVID-19.

There have already been two strains of Coronavirus confirmed worldwide. Perhaps we are experiencing the less severe strain. In fact Iceland have identified 40 mutations of the virus and can link them back to their places of origin.

Very unlikely we aren't getting the same strain as Italy given the amount of people coming back from ski holidays that then were not quarantined by the idiotic government.

Furthermore, and most unfortunately, there is a body of thought that getting one strain does not develop immunity to the second strain. There have been observed cases of people getting it twice, and that is one of the postulations on the matter.

The model Oxford have used isn't rigorous but other models will have their flaws too. It will be interesting to see the results of the study for when the population is tested for antibodies.

Did you read the paper?

Do you understand their assumptions?
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

Has there been cases of people who are immune to this?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2020, 05:19:25 PM
Has there been cases of people who are immune to this?

Natural immunity?

Not to my knowledge. I'm not even sure its possible - either you have the antibodies or you don't.

But then we wouldn't know at this point anyway. They'd have beat it off without showing any symptoms so it'd take a detailed analysis when its all calmed down to prove that either way - if its even possible to prove.

I suppose, once the anti-body test is developed - you could test a swath of people you know for sure have not been exposed - and then you can see if any of them have the antibodies. Can't see anyone bothering as its astronomical odds of a clear positive without being bigger questions around quality of isolation.
i usse an speelchekor

JoG2

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 27, 2020, 01:59:15 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 27, 2020, 01:35:56 PM
Quote from: the goal was on on March 27, 2020, 01:21:59 PM
So Boris gets it now.Wee bit suspicious of this. Like who sticks  a suit on when they get a high temperature.  I suppose the twat was running around laughing about shaking hands with people with corona virus a few weeks ago!

Now Hancock as well..

I'd be surprised if Raab didn't have it a week or so a go when he was sweating like a pig and coughing away in Parliament during PM's questions!

In all seriousness, what would happen of the government, or even cabinet, were more or less wiped out by this?
In a doomsday scenario, lets say they all get Covid at the same time and most can't function and some ministers die. What's the process for re-constituting government?

Kiefer Sutherland takes the reigns

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0327/1126691-coronavirus-ireland/

NPHET is particularly concerned about clusters of infection in health care settings, including at least nine nursing homes, eight hospitals, and two community long-stay environments.

It is also worried about the pattern and the rate of increase in daily Covid-19 admissions to intensive care units and the growing level of community transmission of the virus.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Over 300 new cases today, biggest daily increase so far.
3 more deaths.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.