Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 19, 2014, 06:48:41 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 19, 2014, 04:04:34 PM
I wouldn't know who to contact about a few things but a quick google or perhaps a phone call to a friend would sort out a lot, just because every player doesn't have Dessie's number on speed dial is a nothing story. This is another example of lads here looking for any reason to have a little dig at the GPA, most likely because they have a problem with them representing IC players only and therefore anything that is less than perfect is worth criticising. It's a strange obsession in many ways considering they are there to help IC players and do that. They are just about the last thing we should be concerned about in the GAA but if it helps pass the winter for you boys crack on.
Sounds good but in reality only those that have a neck or that know Dessie/lads in GPA would initiate contact.
That's what this player told me. He had a good player friend insist he rang the GPA.
Only for that he wasn't going to!
He didn't know he could or what was on offer!
This isn't a dig!
It's that they aren't properly promoting themselves!

Lynchboy. Every county panel has a GPA rep elected or nominated by the players. Should your mate not just of spoken to his rep?

Rossfan

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on November 25, 2014, 09:44:09 AM
I wouldn't know who to contact about a few things but a quick google or perhaps a phone call to a friend would sort out a lot, just because every player doesn't have Dessie's number on speed dial is a nothing story. This is another example of lads here looking for any reason to have a little dig at the GPA, most likely because they have a problem with them representing IC players only and therefore anything that is less than perfect is worth criticising. It's a strange obsession in many ways considering they are there to help IC players and do that. They are just about the last thing we should be concerned about in the GAA but if it helps pass the winter for you boys crack on.
Sounds good but in reality only those that have a neck or that know Dessie/lads in GPA would initiate contact.
That's what this player told me. He had a good player friend insist he rang the GPA.
This isn't a dig!

Lynchboy. Every county panel has a GPA rep elected or nominated by the players. Would your mate not just of went to his rep?

Straight red for that abomination  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on November 25, 2014, 09:44:09 AM
This isn't a dig!

Lynchboy. Every county panel has a GPA rep elected or nominated by the players. Should your mate not just of spoken to his rep?
ex county player. he had no idea who to call.
it was he who told me that other lads in other counties (current players) he had spoken to also - didn't know who to call. I don't think all counties have gpa reps (eg I doubt if tyrone do - mickey harte prob wouldn't allow it!! though maybe they do)

don't shoot the messenger here.
this guy was pro GPA as they helped him, so its not as if he was trying to slate them. I think he was voicing constructive criticism.

Bingo

Benny Coulter in the Star today - says he wouldn't know who the GPA rep was in the Down dressing room and it was never really a topic that came up or bothered them.

For the record he says he was against them at the start but has warmed to it and they have done some good work.

Zulu

Yup and the banking crisis another area they 'could be doing more' ::)

Rossfan

Quote from: Zulu on December 13, 2014, 09:18:34 PM
:D :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

I have just read the full Q&A text. It could all be summerised by just saying "it's all about the money"
They come across as disingenuous and patronising when they hide behind issues like unemployment and mental health.
How much can county players get for nothing. That's what's its all about.

midLouth

Quote from: Zulu on December 13, 2014, 09:18:34 PM

Now that would be just stupid.

Zulu

Quote from: ck on December 13, 2014, 09:32:19 PM
I have just read the full Q&A text. It could all be summerised by just saying "it's all about the money"
They come across as disingenuous and patronising when they hide behind issues like unemployment and mental health.

What do county players get for nothing?

lynchbhoy

I was expecting a bit more of a factual listing!
Way too generic to really address the concerns that people have posed at the GPA .

Such as more info in some of the services used by ex county players ( eg the great ones utilized by my pal weren't even mentioned)
Criteria for how people got whatever service and costs etc

No salary listings either.
Though I'd not like mine to be made public- but most people in 'public' jobs have their salary details known for reasons of transparency ....

Nice bit of reading but the GPA missed a great chance to properly pr themselves in a good light to make themselves untouchable !

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on December 13, 2014, 11:33:19 PM

I presume that's a loaded question because you are saying they put so much effort into the thing.

If you mean what do they get for no payment, then plenty.

Hound

Good informative piece from the GPA with lots of details.

2,100 current members of the GPA.

Money raised goes on the Player Development Programme (PDP), which includes career development supports, business start-up programme, scholarship advice, counselling services, cardiac screening, an enhanced injury scheme and hardship support.

Every county player received an appointment for cardiac screening.
In addition, 1,945 players have availed of elective PDP services over the past three years.

The GPA accounts are presented quarterly to the GAA for review.
The annual GPA accounts are audited and lodged with the Companies Registration Office.
GPA has 11 paid employees.

They did address the club fixtures problem, but only by stating the obvious that this has got absolutely nothing to do with the GPA and its up to clubs to demand more of their county boards in trying to fix the issue.

They confirmed that former county players can apply for support under the PDP. And they gave examples that they've helped former players with back-to-education support, career changes,  personal counselling and support for medical procedures including knee and hip replacements where no private health insurance in place.

Begrudgers will always begrudge, but there's no doubt the GPA has been a very positive development for the GAA since its inception.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 15, 2014, 10:07:18 AM
Quote from: Zulu on December 13, 2014, 11:33:19 PM

Not a loaded question. According to ck all the GPA are about is getting free stuff for IC players so I'm wondering what they are already getting for free, can you tell me?

I presume that's a loaded question because you are saying they put so much effort into the thing.

If you mean what do they get for no payment, then plenty.

AZOffaly

Gear, food, cars for some guys, career guidance, physio expenses, etc etc. I don't understand your point? Do you think they are not getting free stuff?

By the way, I have no problem with any of the above!