2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Who'd have thought after the Leinster semi last year we'd have seen Dicey and Stephen in the Laois starting line up ...

I hope a good crowd turns up Sunday for the first home game
LAOIS ABÚ

High Fielder

Quote from: on the hop on February 08, 2019, 09:35:46 PM
What's the view on the team

Better team. No doubt about it. Some changes were absolutely necessary. I'm convinced last week was as much about focus as it was players not performing. We need to be tuned in and hungrier. We need to be on our toes and moving all the time. Nobody should care about promotion as that will look after itself if we apply ourselves properly. f it doesn't then we still have work to do. After last week, we have a lot of work to get through. I don't see the point in players working as hard as they do only to go and let themselves down so badly.

I still feel that the Championship side will contain and will need to contain some of our better young lads. That said, it's the league and we're still experimenting

Chrimtain

Countyminor

Interesting team alright, I doubt anyone could've possibly predicted tomorrows lineup somewhat accurately prior to Louth. But injuries & suspensions are what they are. Excited to see Mark Barry start, a lovely, stylish player who can do it all. Great to see Dicey start his first competitive game in a year too. No room for complacency, but you'd expect there to be enough in this team to win somewhat comfortably.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Chrimtain on February 09, 2019, 10:56:40 AM
Disappointed about Colin Murphy
Me too. I'd be giving him a run of starts. But to be fair, I'm not at training three or four times a week! I trust the lads over the team.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

les Antiques

I don't think we have seen the last of Murphy , still early days .

High Fielder

I'd agree. It's a massive step up to inter county football. He looked a little lost last week, but then again he wasn't alone. The senior players need to lead by example and more importantly show by example

Chrimtain

Based on today's performance, although we have some defensive frailties, I think there are a number of things to feel very positive about, not least of which is the number of young guys that John Sugrue is introducing to what was an ageing team. Today, Mark Barry provided one of the best 'full debuts' we have seen in a long time. Up to the point he was unfairly sent off, I thought Maty Scully did very well too. Added to that we saw the introduction of young guys like Tyrrell and O'Flynn. I hope I am not tempting fate, but, looking to the future, I think we have reasons to be optimistic.

Nameless

Much better today. Bossed the game. Still a lot to work on, especially with teams running through us. I thought Scully was having a great game, very physical, comfortable on the ball and great distribution. The sending off was extremely harsh and I'm sure it'll be appealed. Brody had a few poor kickouts but I don't think he could have done much about the goals. Dillon played well in the full back line and I think Nerney is looking better with every game. As I said, Scully had a great game and with Attride and Begley, the half back line were strong and mobile.
I thought Meaney did well enough in midfield, enough to hold on to the jersey. O'Reilly worked very hard and got on a lot of ball. Barry scored a nice point, played well overall but maybe needs to work on his right foot. Lowry did well when he came on and Murphy got two points. Obviously, our main lads were the difference, Kingston and O'Carroll. They worked well alternating between half and full forward.
It has to be said that Sligo weren't very good but then again, Louth weren't very good so nice to get the win, a lot of positives and still plenty to work on.

Chrimtain

In Mark Barry's case, I thought, for a lad so young, he was very lively and extremely eager to get on the ball. Definitely one for the future. (I hope I haven't put the hex on him now).

It was interesting to hear John Sugrue talk of the 'exciting young talent' in the panel in his after match interview.

Giovanni

Would agree with Chrimtain on Scully and Mark Barry in particular. Barry has super football intelligence and calmness on the ball. Great game. As for the sending off - if I'm not mistaken, that's the same ref that did the O Byrne cup match v Meath and awarded  a penalty in the last minute that had everyone scratching their heads. In truth, referees from counties that are competing in the same league should never be used like that. If that had been a close match or an important one, there would have been war.

The concession of the 2 goals was very disappointing. On another day, that could have been the losing of the game. Not sure why it's happening so often - maybe some lack of mobility in the middle.

Evan was super again today. He's having a great season so far. He wasn't happy to be taken off but it was the right thing in the circumstances.

Job done and hopefully they'll get a bit of a run going now.

Nameless

Just another point, I don't think it was totally coincidental that we conceded the 2 goals after Meaney was subbed. Yes, the 2nd goal came after the sending off but I think Meaney did a lot of dirty work, hard tackling and tracking back.

Laois fan

Good win but sligo were brutal,o carroll was excellent hes really on fire at moment.Barry had an excellent debut great vision and cool on the ball,still a bit light but hes very young and id prefer come championship he plays under 20.We sermed to concede every short kickout to then which was a bit disappointing.i see laoistoday said scullys shoulder was 50/50 from my viewpoint it was s bit reckless and mistimed

on the hop

i thought Sligo were terrible, really very limited and we seemed to find it hard to get away from them for long periods. Probably a lot to do with trying to bed in a few players didn't help but they still managed to score two goals which was a disappointment.  Kickouts a bit better today but at times we struggled when we fell back into kicking it long into the centre. its good to see a few young players getting a run and murphy looked very sharp when he came on.

in relation to the sending off, it happened just below me scully put two massive hits before hand but he was just off with that one.

Countyminor

Didn't see enough in the Scully incident to warrant a red - a yellow would've sufficed imo, certainly from my angle. We get carved open way too easily. Any bit of directness from the opposition and we look vulnerable.

Hard to read a whole lot into the game given we were playing against a team who in all probability will be plying their trade in Div 4 next year. Nevertheless I thought some of our forward play was top drawer. In O'Carroll, Donie, P Kingston, Cahillane, Lowry, Barry & Murphy we have full-forward line options the majority of counties would be envious of. Thought Dicey & Boyle did well on the wings, throw in Byrne, Farrell & Benny Carroll returning and we've good competition. Still light in midfield, Meaney did well on his return & put in a fine shift. Tyrell looks a tad raw, Johno is Johno.

Half-backline options are looking good. If all are fit we've Collins, Crowley, Begley, Pigott, Attride, Buggie, Scully, & potentially Dillon and O'Connor competing for 3 positions. Our full-backline did OK today, Nerney is growing all the time & Seale and Dillon in particular are very good options. Overall we've a nice little panel developing, will be interesting to see how things go from here. As Jack Nolan was saying on Midlands 103 a few weeks back prior to Down, you may as well jump on the Laois bandwagon  ;D