Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Says

Have you read this thread at all? Numerous times it has been stated that o neill doesnt look happy being dropped back into the half back line as an extra man. his better work is done in the forward line and he has always give his all for antrim, instrumental on getting antrim to the ulster final few years back. Your part regarding the irish news article and his father?

Simon Says

Anyone know when the club league and championship fixtures are published?

Glensman

Simon Says - the county website guestbook says this:

Name : antrim gael03 February 2011

Do you know when next county committee meeting is? as draws will take place then? and i have asked my club secretary and he does not know!

Well, all club secretaries were provided with a meeting schedule! Next meeting is scheduled for 14th of Feb and championship draws on 28th Feb.

Simon Says

cheers glensman. be interesting to see the championship draws.

PeteG

Quote from: múinteoirmór on February 08, 2011, 03:29:56 PM
I could not agree more Hardstation.  That boyo Kevin mcGourty, a complete and utter waster/mouthpiece! I would ditch him and that boyo T. O'Neill as well.  I read his article in the IN this morning, he seems to think he is some sort of authority on Antrim Football.  Those two boyos IMO, I would bypass and select  a few other lads who will give their all, stop hiding and more importanly, keep their traps shut!   A case of like 'father like son' on both counts!

Am a bit confused about your comments on Terry O'Neill.  I have played against O'Neill several times and and have seen many of the Antrim games including the Kildare game.  His work rate is immense and has always been very much a team player, would never class him as someone that hides and doesn't give it his all as you seem to suggest.   With regards to being mouthy  ???  Think he is prob one of the least mouthy players I have played against.

NAG1

Interesting topic for someone to make their first post on, esp coming from Down.

Not getting into a debate about personality.

IMO he is not the type of player that is needed for the role that he is playing. IMO you need someone who can tackle is big and strong as a last line of defence, who has pace can cover the ground. This is esp important when breaking out from the back more often than not this is the person ending up on the ball andif they are slow and ponderous in possession then that will slow down any attack.

Thats how I see it anyway, he is great on the ball good brain but doesnt bring any of the other attributes to it. Being in used in the wrong place I think.

PeteG

Prob would seem a bit strange posting on Antrim thread lol Am from Down but live in Belfast so tend to follow Antrim football quite a bit.  The choice of topic was merely that it was a recent post.

Simon Says

What way are we looking for sunday against laois?

Are the club fixtures released yet?

múinteoirmór

Quote from: Simon Says on February 16, 2011, 08:49:54 AM
What way are we looking for sunday against laois?

Are the club fixtures released yet?

We are looking south in this case! ::)
We haven't gone away ya know!!!!  And just as long as we beat the Huns (Johns) Gerrys wee team!

Simon Says

Having travelled to Portlaoise on sunday, i left the ground dejected. As i cant believe how well we played and outplayed laois and came away with nothing. Too many wides and silly mistakes.

Anyone else at the game?

Big Puff

Quote from: Simon Says on February 22, 2011, 10:27:43 AM
Having travelled to Portlaoise on sunday, i left the ground dejected. As i cant believe how well we played and outplayed laois and came away with nothing. Too many wides and silly mistakes.

Anyone else at the game?

Yeah, think there was a few thousand at it.

imtommygunn

Wasn't at it simon. Any comments on who played well / who didn't individually?

How'd we go at midfield - better than last time?

I only saw a brief report but saw Murray scored in first half - did he start? Did the team start as selected?

saffron sam2

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 22, 2011, 08:48:45 PM
Wasn't at it simon. Any comments on who played well / who didn't individually?

How'd we go at midfield - better than last time?

I only saw a brief report but saw Murray scored in first half - did he start? Did the team start as selected?

Neither was I. None.

McGourty and Burke started at midfield, don't know.

Yes. No.

Rumours that a recently transferred player may not be legal after all.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Simon Says

c.kerr- Varied kickouts well, two fantastic saves in the second half. 7

k o boyle- had a great game, tackled well and done well on tierney unlucky for goal.8

A.mc lean- Went of early injured.

Justin crozier- too loose as a man marker.5

T.Scullion- Powerful runner with the ball, seems to lack in confidence in front of goal. poor distribution.6

A healey- solid performance, he is a must start at centre half back, good reader of the game. 7

T O neill- Put in a good shift at wing back, cancelled his man out and played some great ball to forward line 6.5

K Mc Gourty- On the ball alot in first half, competed well in midfield with burke. some wayward shooting. but worked well. 6.5

S.burke-Got through a mountain of work, he is a defensive minded midfielder who knows his limits. 7

C.Murray- scored a good point but give the ball away too many times.6

K.brady- rolled back the years with 2 outstanding points, good ball winner, 7.5

M.sweeney- Didnt do much at all, give the ball away too many times under no pressure. 5

Paddy cunningham- scored some good frees, but kicked some poor ones also. 5

K.niblock- Won a mountain of ball, very unselfish,Still believe his best position is chf.6.5

B.Herron. Seemed to play further out the field, again like many others give the ball away too many times. 5

imtommygunn

Cheers Simon.

Interesting to see the positioning of Herron / Crozier. Both would be wasted in those positions IMO.

O'Boyle was excellent in the Kildare game too I thought when all round him wilted.

Healy looks like a must start. Crozier maybe LHB if that happens.

Good to see a few new guys getting gametime too as that will help.

We need a win soon though. Wouldn't be good for confidence going into c'ship the way we are currently.