Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Surprise appointment indeed - best of luck to Baker and his team - think its a bit premature to be writing him off before a ball is even kicked in the new season.  From the list of 4 candidates apart from White nobody had senior intercounty management experience.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 23, 2008, 09:58:19 PM
No i wont try that, i have read to many of your posts to realise how intransigent you can be at times. Still he is the best of the bunch that went to interview...and your bonus point is Niall Conway, a very sharp wee boy is our Naill.

It's too many of your posts, but that's largely irrelevant. I may appear intransigent, but I prefer to think that I deal in facts. So I stand over what I said. There is nothing in Bradley's managerial CV to suggest that he has what is necessary to be a successful inter-county manager.

He may well have been the best of the bunch, although if Lynchbhoy is to be believed (I know, not a great witness for my case) Delargy was more impressive during his stint with Banaher. IMHO none of the four who went for interview have the necessary requirements. Because you're the best of a bad lot doesn't mean you're particularly good. A short list of Madden, John Laverty, McCartan and Bradley would have seen Bradley laughed out of contention. Whilst there was a semblance of logic with the appointment of Mr Jody Gormley, there seems to be none here.

I think, however you are right about Conway and I would have preferred to seem him in as the main man rather the Baker, although if the CB felt Madden was too young, the same must apply here. That would have been a much more logical appointment, a talented young coach who has not served any suspensions for striking a member of the current Antrim senior squad at half time in an Ulster Club championship match. Don't be overly surprised if not every player (or indeed any player) from St. Gall's commits to the Baker's squad. If this turns out to be the case, then the fault lies squarely with Doctor Doom and not the players involved.

I am also led to believe that there may be more to the backroom team than has been mentioned so far, but I'll drop that particular scud later. If true, then that would be a good thing.

Maybe there is a cunning plan after all. Appoint the Baker as the figurehead, get a strong back room team in and gas the big man. That would seem to be the only sensible thing I can think of. Maybe the good Doctor actually does know what he is doing.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 23, 2008, 11:16:46 PM
Quote from: the green man on October 23, 2008, 11:13:02 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 23, 2008, 11:02:31 PM
as for niall conway - well he dint cover himself in glory looking at the semi final and minal of the minor championship
last year (07) when changes were crying out to be made but nothing was done (or done too late - if at all).

Its here that I must take umbridge with your post LB.

Didn't they win the semi-final?

If memory serves, a sucker punch goal for Galway won the game!

Anyway, sure he's only in as coach and not manager.

won the semi final but only just, were being cleaned out in most positions after 25 mins (luckily they played great stuff and scored a lot early on)  and nothing was done on the line to change that.
In the final they had the game, but when it turned conway again sat looking at it and did nothing.

with the talent they had , they should have walked the final. lost it on the line imo.

LB is their not a manager whom you think is crap on the line apart from your darling Mickey Harte?

Glensman

I heard the same thing SS2 about the additions to the back room team to come. We shall see.

I'd just like to see Antrim get out of Division 4 and give Donegal a good rattle.
Antrim should be out of Division 4 next year, anything else is a failure.

I really hope the St Galls boys commit.

Good luck.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 24, 2008, 09:06:34 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 23, 2008, 11:16:46 PM
Quote from: the green man on October 23, 2008, 11:13:02 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 23, 2008, 11:02:31 PM
as for niall conway - well he dint cover himself in glory looking at the semi final and minal of the minor championship
last year (07) when changes were crying out to be made but nothing was done (or done too late - if at all).

Its here that I must take umbridge with your post LB.

Didn't they win the semi-final?

If memory serves, a sucker punch goal for Galway won the game!

Anyway, sure he's only in as coach and not manager.

won the semi final but only just, were being cleaned out in most positions after 25 mins (luckily they played great stuff and scored a lot early on)  and nothing was done on the line to change that.
In the final they had the game, but when it turned conway again sat looking at it and did nothing.

with the talent they had , they should have walked the final. lost it on the line imo.

LB is their not a manager whom you think is crap on the line apart from your darling Mickey Harte?
yes - quite a lot actually - Eugene Kelly is one obvious one...

its usually the attention seeking whores that get the jobs and exposure though (not meaning Bradley here , and Mr harte has his daughter for that task anyhow).

I think I have been harsh on Niall Conway, while imo he is still guilty of what I said earler, he is a young manager and can learn from his mistakes and get better with experience - still doesnt necessarily mean hes going to be up there with Harte, but hes already at least on a par with crozier.

A managers quality is most guaged by their ability to make changes when things go wrong as much as their team strategy /gameplan.
imo.

Gold

Im shocked. Will Paddy and Eoin be following him?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Maximus Marillius

l see Eamonn O'Hara reporting Bradleys appointment this morning in the Irish News...as usual it is full of inaccuracies...Bradley was not involved in the management teams of either E.Colemen PIR and Mickey Moran at senior level, and you can take that to the bank

Glensman

The Irish News, on this, and other matters this week has been full of inaccuracies.

It has been criticised on this board previously (the general board) and though remaining silent I was of the opinion, well sure they are throwing the GAA out there and its worth a read.

Not only on GAA on a number of occasions but other news facts they have been completely wrong and verging on tabloid-esque. Losing the faith with it.

Minder

Quote from: Glensman on October 24, 2008, 09:52:42 AM
The Irish News, on this, and other matters this week has been full of inaccuracies.

It has been criticised on this board previously (the general board) and though remaining silent I was of the opinion, well sure they are throwing the GAA out there and its worth a read.

Not only on GAA on a number of occasions but other news facts they have been completely wrong and verging on tabloid-esque. Losing the faith with it.

Lost faith with it a long time ago Glensman, read it very rarely for the reasons you have stated above.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

culchy1

jees boys, baker is in the post all of 24hrs and yous have him gone already.
niall conway is a very good & able assistant, i also hear wee paddy mcneill who trained cargin this year will be in as trainer also.

give them a chance, get behind them and then make your judgements.
theres enough talent in the county to get out of div 4.

i would like to see baker bringing in the likes of micko herron & kevin mcgourty.
if anyone can get the best out of them i think baker can.
after all he has had to deal with this type of player before in his 2 sons!

i dont think it would have mattered who was appointed, some people would never be happy.

good luck to baker, niall & wee paddy.

sail_in

What happened at half time in the St Gall's v Glenullin match last year?

Today is the first I've heard of it!

aontroim

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 24, 2008, 08:29:40 AM

I am also led to believe that there may be more to the backroom team than has been mentioned so far, but I'll drop that particular scud later. If true, then that would be a good thing.

Maybe there is a cunning plan after all. Appoint the Baker as the figurehead, get a strong back room team in and gas the big man. That would seem to be the only sensible thing I can think of. Maybe the good Doctor actually does know what he is doing.

The jungle drums have been beating - i presume you mean 2 Senior All-Ireland winners from Derry (not in Scor)

Spirit of 94

A surprise appointment alright, but good luck to Baker and Niall.  From some of the comments on here they're going to need it!!

NAG

Paddy McNeill was looking after the fitness of the Hurling squad a couple of years ago and I have to say the reports were def not good, he was very old school and didnt know how to get the players to the peak of their fitness at the right time.

Also alot of muscle injuries that year which IMO is partly down to bad training methods.

Minder

Quote from: NAG on October 24, 2008, 10:44:49 AM
Paddy McNeill was looking after the fitness of the Hurling squad a couple of years ago and I have to say the reports were def not good, he was very old school and didnt know how to get the players to the peak of their fitness at the right time.

Also alot of muscle injuries that year which IMO is partly down to bad training methods.

And fellas not looking after themselves.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"