Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

You misunderstand my post. I do not know enough to about the squad's capabilities or its preparation to make any detailed comment or analysis. I simply answered another poster's question. Nothing sinister should be implied from the second part of my post.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Minder

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 20, 2008, 09:15:59 AM
You misunderstand my post. I do not know enough to about the squad's capabilities or its preparation to make any detailed comment or analysis. I simply answered another poster's question. Nothing sinister should be implied from the second part of my post.

Is that Frankie Quinn and Rambo in your avatar?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

Quote from: Minder on March 20, 2008, 09:19:07 AM

Sambo, the great Micheal Greenan and some other punter. It was the best picture of Greenan I could find.

Minder

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 20, 2008, 09:24:11 AM

Sambo, the great Micheal Greenan and some other punter. It was the best picture of Greenan I could find.

It looks like Frankie Quinn, the current Ulster Hurling development tsar. Once of Gort Na mOna, once of Lamh Dhearg and now residing in Cushendall.

Gold

Who cares about Greenan or Quinn--what about our U-21 team last night?? What the hell happened--was anyone at it?  I couldnt make it due to work

Were Down unstoppable?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Square Ball

Quote from: Minder on March 20, 2008, 09:32:44 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 20, 2008, 09:24:11 AM

It looks like Frankie Quinn, the current Ulster Hurling development tsar. Once of Gort Na mOna, once of Lamh Dhearg and now residing in Cushendall.

You forgot about O'Ds minder
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Minder

Aye in fairness Squareball i remember him telling me of his various clubs so there is a good chance i forgot a few, any advance on three?

Square Ball

O'D were his first club I think than as they say the rest is history.

Rember him playing many years ago for the minors against Na Finna (Spelling) in Dublin and missing a penalty, long time ago
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

amallon

Antrim weren't as bad as the score line suggests for much of the first half, until Down got the goal.  The goal seemed to knock the heart out of them.  Down had to work real hard for a lot of the scores the got in the first half and the Antrim defence turned the ball over loads of times.  The problem was in the forwards, they missed too many chances and the Down defence turned the Antrim attack over too many other occasions.  The defence was always under pressure.  The game was up early in the second half and there wasn't much fight left in Antrim.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

PlayWithTheWind

Antrim started off strong as amallon suggested. turing over downs attacks and crowding out midfiled and making the down players over carry the ball. this worked for about 10minutes then down seemed to drift away picking up points here and there. antrim where in desperate need of a score to keep in touch then just before half time the full back spilled a high ball and downs full forward capitalised. this goal ended the game. antrim came out the second half and started brightly, just like the first half, getting a few scores on the board but then again just like the first half faded out of it and down took control and finished the game off with mccomisky tapping scores over with ease.

apart from crowding out the midfield antrim didnt look like they had a serious game plan.

some very poor performances from the senior members of the team esp young McGourty and young McCann - expected more from him after his performances of late for Jordanstown.

Burke, Croizer and Murray tired hard
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Gold

Quote from: amallon on March 20, 2008, 04:15:00 PM
Antrim weren't as bad as the score line suggests for much of the first half, until Down got the goal.  The goal seemed to knock the heart out of them.  Down had to work real hard for a lot of the scores the got in the first half and the Antrim defence turned the ball over loads of times.  The problem was in the forwards, they missed too many chances and the Down defence turned the Antrim attack over too many other occasions.  The defence was always under pressure.  The game was up early in the second half and there wasn't much fight left in Antrim.
Quote from: PlayWithTheWind on March 20, 2008, 04:50:11 PM
Antrim started off strong as amallon suggested. turing over downs attacks and crowding out midfiled and making the down players over carry the ball. this worked for about 10minutes then down seemed to drift away picking up points here and there. antrim where in desperate need of a score to keep in touch then just before half time the full back spilled a high ball and downs full forward capitalised. this goal ended the game. antrim came out the second half and started brightly, just like the first half, getting a few scores on the board but then again just like the first half faded out of it and down took control and finished the game off with mccomisky tapping scores over with ease.

apart from crowding out the midfield antrim didnt look like they had a serious game plan.

some very poor performances from the senior members of the team esp young McGourty and young McCann - expected more from him after his performances of late for Jordanstown.

Burke, Croizer and Murray tired hard

thanks for the posts lads

a bit more important than talkin about some fella and the clubs he played for--who cares!!

the important thing is how we perform on the field now and in the future--its worrying that we didnt seem to compete for the whole game last night especially after the shape of our minor team v derry in last years 1st round--granted Derry gor to the AIF but we want to start competing with other counties no matter who they are and it has to start with the youth

Minder

Gold stop your bloody whining,if the posts are of no interest to you simply ignore them. Just because you are not interested does not extend to the whole board. . . .

imtommygunn

Fully agree Gold.

Last night I think we had 8 senior panelists on the team(Carland, O'Boyle, Crozier, Crossey, Burke, Hasson, McCann and McGourty) if I'm right. From that perspective it is very disappointing. Granted Down may be a good team but a team with those players on it shouldn't be getting beat by that margin.

I'm not sure though that there was much emphasis put on the U21 team. That seems to be a recurring theme in football and hurling in Antrim and one that,IMO, should change.When a boy is scoring 9 points you'd think something should be done to either change his marker or cut of his supply. Sounds like the whole thing was a bit devoid of tactics and preparation. Even at that we should be doing better though.

Gold

Yeah i thought with the amount of senior panelists that it would be a good game despite Down being AIMF champions 3 years previous.

Was gutted that i couldnt make it but even more gutted when i heard the result. Especially the 1-8 to 0-1 half time part of it.

Believe the Hastings Cup that was going a few years back may have been beneficial to that age group--its too much to turn up with a group of fellas who aint plyed as a full team and compete

Gutted

saffron sam2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2008, 05:22:15 PM
Fully agree Gold.

Last night I think we had 8 senior panelists on the team(Carland, O'Boyle, Crozier, Crossey, Burke, Hasson, McCann and McGourty) if I'm right. From that perspective it is very disappointing. Granted Down may be a good team but a team with those players on it shouldn't be getting beat by that margin.

I'm not sure though that there was much emphasis put on the U21 team. That seems to be a recurring theme in football and hurling in Antrim and one that,IMO, should change.When a boy is scoring 9 points you'd think something should be done to either change his marker or cut of his supply. Sounds like the whole thing was a bit devoid of tactics and preparation. Even at that we should be doing better though.

I have taken a conscious decision not to criticise the set-up, but it's hard to disagree with any of that, especially the bit in bold.