Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: ck on September 11, 2023, 09:15:25 AM
Quote from: BelSaft on September 11, 2023, 08:55:51 AM
It said on the commentary that Meenagh has been there since 2016?
Would transfers not be common enough? Have Cargin never had any players transfer in? Most Belfast teams would. St Galls always used to get a few. Couple of well known Fermagh men on their AI winning team. Aghnagallon probably never get a better chance to beat the Toome boys. Was McCann harshly red carded? Didn't show it on the stream.

Think that's incorrect on Meenan cos heard yesterday he won a senior championship with Killycloghar a few years ago.

Nothing wrong with a lad transferring in but when a full clan transfers in becuase of an avoidable row with their home club then that's a whole different ball game. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of the like of this anywhere before.

I honestly wouldn't have wanted them anywhere near our club. Different if a fella has moved into the area but that Lavey one sounded like a mess. Plus the fact they're taking the place of local lads. I heard Cargin turned them away?

EOC1923

Quote from: JimStynes on September 11, 2023, 09:32:01 AM
Quote from: ck on September 11, 2023, 09:15:25 AM
Quote from: BelSaft on September 11, 2023, 08:55:51 AM
It said on the commentary that Meenagh has been there since 2016?
Would transfers not be common enough? Have Cargin never had any players transfer in? Most Belfast teams would. St Galls always used to get a few. Couple of well known Fermagh men on their AI winning team. Aghnagallon probably never get a better chance to beat the Toome boys. Was McCann harshly red carded? Didn't show it on the stream.

Think that's incorrect on Meenan cos heard yesterday he won a senior championship with Killycloghar a few years ago.

Nothing wrong with a lad transferring in but when a full clan transfers in becuase of an avoidable row with their home club then that's a whole different ball game. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of the like of this anywhere before.

I honestly wouldn't have wanted them anywhere near our club. Different if a fella has moved into the area but that Lavey one sounded like a mess. Plus the fact they're taking the place of local lads. I heard Cargin turned them away?
There was talk / rumour at one point Jim but honestly think they were always destined for where they are now.

BelSaft

Maybe he won a championship with Killyclogher in 2016. He has been at NB for 4/5 years now though I think. Based on the weekends performances PG1 have probably taken the favourites tag? Are all Cargins starting 15 homegrown?

NorthAntrim

Lets face it, the situation is made worse where they have ended up. St Brigids have had a good run at underage and should be producing at Senior themselves. This situation will do them more harm than good. I cant see them winning a championship this year and these boys wont be St Brigids players in a few years time. Theyll have lost more players than its worth!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: BelSaft on September 11, 2023, 09:55:17 AM
Maybe he won a championship with Killyclogher in 2016. He has been at NB for 4/5 years now though I think. Based on the weekends performances PG1 have probably taken the favourites tag? Are all Cargins starting 15 homegrown?

i think so

might have been a couple who played underrage for Moneyglass but thats it.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

country bumpkin

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 11, 2023, 10:14:49 AM

i think so

All of Cargin's team yesterday have green blood no imports at all...
Same applies to the successful reserve team.....

ck

Quote from: NorthAntrim on September 11, 2023, 10:05:21 AM
Lets face it, the situation is made worse where they have ended up. St Brigids have had a good run at underage and should be producing at Senior themselves. This situation will do them more harm than good. I cant see them winning a championship this year and these boys wont be St Brigids players in a few years time. Theyll have lost more players than its worth!

That's precisely the point. A strategy like this might see short term success but it will surely have a long term detrimental impact.
I can only imagine their young lads trying to break into the team and how they see it. Will they even stick around? It's not a great club ethos no matter how you look at it.

BelSaft

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 11, 2023, 10:32:06 AM

i think so

I had heard the big fullback McShane started out elsewhere. Obviously not though

belfastsaff

Cargin won and thats all they will however find no issue with lavey in the semis.
An important win for Portglenone will surly have sealed the mcnultys fate?
Dunloy will be fearing nobody.

Smith for Dunloy is a county footballer, any others catching the eye over the weekend ?

was thinking of heading to the gorts game but glad i didn't after seeing the scoreline!!

paddyjohn

Quote from: belfastsaff on September 11, 2023, 11:26:41 AM
Cargin won and thats all they will however find no issue with lavey in the semis.
An important win for Portglenone will surly have sealed the mcnultys fate?
Dunloy will be fearing nobody.

Smith for Dunloy is a county footballer, any others catching the eye over the weekend ?

was thinking of heading to the gorts game but glad i didn't after seeing the scoreline!!

Gorts were a shambles. Stinking way to play football and even when they were getting beat, the management were still telling them to defend. The times they did attack, they got a goal and a 45 which they got the point from.

SaffronSports

Was there a prior connection between the Downey's and St Brigid's or how did that come about? Obviously they've fallen out with Lavey so had to go play somewhere but presumably there was some reason St Brigid's were the chosen club.

imtommygunn

Their grandad was one of the founder members according to Jerome Quinn on commentary.

I would say based on the matches worrying lack of scoring forwards though maybe our club football is too defensive...

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: SaffronSports on September 11, 2023, 12:33:11 PM
Was there a prior connection between the Downey's and St Brigid's or how did that come about? Obviously they've fallen out with Lavey so had to go play somewhere but presumably there was some reason St Brigid's were the chosen club.

Their mother's club AFAIK
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

barnish oggie

i think so

Benen Kelly not ex Moneyglass?

BelSaft

Quote from: barnish oggie on September 11, 2023, 12:42:19 PM

i think so

Benen Kelly not ex Moneyglass?

:o :o :o