Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Lavey has a long legacy, you would have thought someone could have got this sorted. Its a very sad situation and i wonder will Brolly write about it. That's his club in Belfast isn't it.

imtommygunn

I don't know how it will work if they're away with the county half the year. Derry will be about for a good while so they won't be playing. They can't realiistically come to a new club not having played and just jump onto a team in front of boys who have been playing all year. Sounds like a tricky situation tbh. If they were about all year it could be managed.

Downeys and McGurks fall out. That would about explain it if that is what happened

geezer

BS, my point is this; Brigids have been extremely successful at underage the past 10 years or so. In the last 5 years theyve won a minor chsip and 3 (i think) u-21s. Thats some going and proves there is ample talent within the club. Why is there a need to bring the Downeys in? Be loyal to the lads that have won the club countless trophies.

NorthAntrim

Regardless of being successful at underage level. There will be boys that have been coached from young kids to adult level miss out because of a fall out from another club. Our games unfortunatly following the soccer route with growing transfer lists every year. Fall outs / lack of game time / smaller clubs losing better players to the bigger clubs. Sad to see

Milltown Row2

So if the rift isn't fixable. Should they just stop playing for a club and lose out on County?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

In fairness to St Brigids I font think they pushed for this at any point. They are well aware that home bred players will lose out on game time, and that many in the club were against it...hoping that the situation could be resolved with Lavey GAC. But that didn't happen and when the official inter county transfer application came through they had to deal with it.

I heard two players last week, but then heard a bigger number last night. So really don't know the definitive answer to that. Maybe there will be some informed comment on the matter soon....Brolly the best bet.

toby47

If you have the chance to get county footballers into your club, you take them. That would be my thinking anyway.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 06, 2023, 02:49:37 PM
Regardless of being successful at underage level. There will be boys that have been coached from young kids to adult level miss out because of a fall out from another club. Our games unfortunatly following the soccer route with growing transfer lists every year. Fall outs / lack of game time / smaller clubs losing better players to the bigger clubs. Sad to see

'Growing transfer lists every year'? Any evidence of this? Not trying to be an arse here by the way. I just think the handful of transfers in the public eye are being sensationalised into a growing issue

geezer

Suppose its a matter of opinion. Im on the side of being loyal to your own.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2023, 02:53:51 PM
So if the rift isn't fixable. Should they just stop playing for a club and lose out on County?

Absolutly not. But as long as long as every possibility to resolve the matter has taken place. Its all too easy now to print a form and sign it. This seems to have been going on a long time now so possibly best to move on

Its the transfers without a fall out or a location move that get me and need to be taken out of our game

NorthAntrim

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 06, 2023, 03:31:39 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 06, 2023, 02:49:37 PM

'Growing transfer lists every year'? Any evidence of this? Not trying to be an arse here by the way. I just think the handful of transfers in the public eye are being sensationalised into a growing issue

I cant back this up with figures but i have seen the club transfers this year and its a substantial amount

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 06, 2023, 03:44:42 PM

Absolutly not. But as long as long as every possibility to resolve the matter has taken place. Its all too easy now to print a form and sign it. This seems to have been going on a long time now so possibly best to move on

Its the transfers without a fall out or a location move that get me and need to be taken out of our game

That's my point, if it's not fixable and all avenues have been used to resolve it then that's that. There's not too many clubs that haven't used this to their advantage btw
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2023, 04:27:22 PM

That's my point, if it's not fixable and all avenues have been used to resolve it then that's that. There's not too many clubs that haven't used this to their advantage btw
If all avenues were exhausted then the final decision still rests with St Brigid's.  If I was on their committee I'd be voting for "thanks but no thanks".

If it was some lad who had moved up from Limerick and was marrying a local then sign him up.  But the Lavey thing is just an ugly club row which can't be sorted due to the stubbornness of the people involved. Their stubbornness won them an All Ireland but now the same traits are  working against them.

Stick with the lads who've been with you all the way up. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on March 06, 2023, 04:54:56 PM

If all avenues were exhausted then the final decision still rests with St Brigid's.  If I was on their committee I'd be voting for "thanks but no thanks".

If it was some lad who had moved up from Limerick and was marrying a local then sign him up.  But the Lavey thing is just an ugly club row which can't be sorted due to the stubbornness of the people involved. Their stubbornness won them an All Ireland but now the same traits are  working against them.

So you're in favour of they stop playing altogether with a club and county?

Sportacus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2023, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on March 06, 2023, 04:54:56 PM

So you're in favour of they stop playing altogether with a club and county?
Lavey haven't disbanded, they've fallen out among themselves.  That's their problem to sort, not St Brigid's.  If I was on St Brigid's committee I'd be in favour of saying no thanks.  Simple as that.