Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

MR2 is seeking the return of Dad's Army in a previous post....wonder is he making reference to a few individuals in green or was it just a pointed insult....
In any event think the present manager has already travelled that road.......and am sure when recovery from surgery is made perhaps the call may be answered...

Sean O' Neill needs to 'fill out'.....rubbish.
First on the team sheet for Cargin.

Milltown Row2

Jeeze you lot are rallying the wagons a bit early!!

He's young and needs to be bedded in, let the county manager do that, as for filling out, that'll come too as he matures..

Nowhere am I'm discussing talent here btw but twist my words how you like
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lár na páirce 1

Pat was really poor today that's even with green glasses on 😂

bannside

Dominic McEnhill shipped off at half time and I think that was a mistake. We created many opportunities in that second half, but we needed to get scoring forwards on the end of some good moves.

I can't help but feel today was one that got away. Adam Loughran was in the extended panel (not in 26 for the programme) and I think he might add something extra to us and his proven link up play with Aghagallons RMC could reap dividends. Maybe he is hurt because on natural ability he should be starting all day every day.

Best two on pitch for us were Peter Healy followed by Dermot McAleese...imo. Both put in a massive shift to be fair. Big Pat and Ryan Murray both won some good ball but a couple of shots were narrowly off target, just one of those days when it all went wrong.

Sean O Neill and Eoghan Mc Cabe are two players I expect to see more of as the year goes on. A few of the Cargin contingent could yet reappear, and does anyone know where's Ricky?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on January 29, 2023, 08:29:09 PM
I do recall Kevin Madden playing who was very slight turned out to be a fantastic player. Hopefully Andy gets a grip on things soon.

Played alongside him for a couple of years
Built not much bigger than one of my thighs but the best ball winner I ever saw - unreal
30/70 20/80 he came out with the ball 9 times outta10
The old saying if you're good enough you're old enough
Same goes with size
Replace old with big
Sean O'Neill is both good and big enough
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

EOC1923

Derry, Tyrone etc playing young lads at 20 and 21 who have talent - Antrim bringing men back In who weren't good enough 10 years ago (Dowling)

Belfast GAA man

where are all the Cargin men? won champiosnhip 4 out of last 5 years surprised to see so few of them in the program today

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: bannside on January 29, 2023, 08:59:38 PM
Dominic McEnhill shipped off at half time and I think that was a mistake. We created many opportunities in that second half, but we needed to get scoring forwards on the end of some good moves.

I can't help but feel today was one that got away. Adam Loughran was in the extended panel (not in 26 for the programme) and I think he might add something extra to us and his proven link up play with Aghagallons RMC could reap dividends. Maybe he is hurt because on natural ability he should be starting all day every day.

Best two on pitch for us were Peter Healy followed by Dermot McAleese...imo. Both put in a massive shift to be fair. Big Pat and Ryan Murray both won some good ball but a couple of shots were narrowly off target, just one of those days when it all went wrong.

Sean O Neill and Eoghan Mc Cabe are two players I expect to see more of as the year goes on. A few of the Cargin contingent could yet reappear, and does anyone know where's Ricky?

Seen Ricky and Marty in stands both should be there, totally agree Dermy was good today apart from his first half shot 😊Dowling a waste of a jersey he must show up well in training but I can only judge on what I've seen.

ck

Would it be fair to suggest that there are players in the panel and starting on the team and only McEntee knows how they are being selected? I know some people say to give McEntee time, and that's fair enough, but anyone can see that they are no-where near good enough for this level. Where are all the Creggan, Cargin and PG1 players?

Milltown Row2

Selected? You can only really play with what's available surely? If people don't make themselves available due to whatever reasons they have, he can only play with what's available to commit?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffsof82

Gaping whole in the centre of our defence today, same as the 2 McKenna cup games. Finegan is never centre back. Caught out of position time and time again. Healy was excellent today. Dommo not fully recovered from that injury he picked up for uu, big mccan made a huge difference when he came on. Sean Oneill to chb would be my move. His reading of the game is superb , like to see Oisin get another go at midfield , thought he was decent against Cavan. Big Stewart disappointing today, expected more from him. Bizarre having mick hit the frees. Think Andy should have learned a lot about some of his players today, I hope he did . Down on high at mo, we will do well to be within 8 of them.

Sportacus

Some people need to cut out the personal insults.  Probably didn't grace too many county teams themselves back in the day.

Rodger Mona

Cut our loss with that senior team for the next few years and start getting the underage to a different level. Year on year its the same shite. The period Baker had Antrim, that squad was primed off the back of St. Galls success, men with schools football success and the likes of Murrray, Crozier etc..'s teams who got to an Ulster Final and an AI Minor Quarter.

What has McEntee inherited...

bannside

And yet if we had been a bit more composed in front of goal yesterday we would have taken something out of the game. Anyone who was there will know that. Disallowed points, narrow misses inches wide of posts (twice Big Pat twice Ryan Murray) and three excellent goal opportunities,  all in a great final quarter, meant it was just not our day.

Would it be a disaster if we did drop down, regrouped and came back up again with a fresher renewed squad? I mean Leitrim are Division 4 and toyed with us at will only a few months ago in the Tailteean Cup. We are in some kind of transition, few can doubt that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on January 30, 2023, 11:22:04 AM
And yet if we had been a bit more composed in front of goal yesterday we would have taken something out of the game. Anyone who was there will know that. Disallowed points, narrow misses inches wide of posts (twice Big Pat twice Ryan Murray) and three excellent goal opportunities,  all in a great final quarter, meant it was just not our day.

Would it be a disaster if we did drop down, regrouped and came back up again with a fresher renewed squad? I mean Leitrim are Division 4 and toyed with us at will only a few months ago in the Tailteean Cup. We are in some kind of transition, few can doubt that.

Stop talking sense ffs!! Lets get the pitch forks at the ready and hang these wasters out to dry! No?