Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Quote from: delgany on April 11, 2022, 08:04:47 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2022, 07:11:21 PM
I believe there will be four groups of 4. This will guarantee at least 3 matches. I'd say top two in each qualify for quarter finals, with winners of groups playing runners up in other groups, identical to our own club senior championship latter stages. But I'm not certain RC, maybe Delgany can confirm.

If the GAA make the Tailteaan cup really worth winning it can be a really good development, and one that can suit us. Eg, play before All Ireland final, make attractive allowance to players prize fund (winners holiday fund etc).

According to Official Guide, its a straight knockout , with two regional sections  - North & South ! Possibilities of a bye in Round 1.
Give it a chance and all that, but it won't stand a chance. Media and sponsors ultimately won't be interested and it'll only be for the diehards. 
However Junior, Intermediate and Senior works extremely well at club level.  Still can't see why that wasn't transferred to inter-county. That's what the GAA public understand and it would have instant credibility which the new format will never achieve.  99 out of 100 GAA followers couldn't explain Tailteann Cup.

delgany

Quote from: Sportacus on April 11, 2022, 09:12:05 PM
Quote from: delgany on April 11, 2022, 08:04:47 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2022, 07:11:21 PM
I believe there will be four groups of 4. This will guarantee at least 3 matches. I'd say top two in each qualify for quarter finals, with winners of groups playing runners up in other groups, identical to our own club senior championship latter stages. But I'm not certain RC, maybe Delgany can confirm.

If the GAA make the Tailteaan cup really worth winning it can be a really good development, and one that can suit us. Eg, play before All Ireland final, make attractive allowance to players prize fund (winners holiday fund etc).

According to Official Guide, its a straight knockout , with two regional sections  - North & South ! Possibilities of a bye in Round 1.
Give it a chance and all that, but it won't stand a chance. Media and sponsors ultimately won't be interested and it'll only be for the diehards. 
However Junior, Intermediate and Senior works extremely well at club level.  Still can't see why that wasn't transferred to inter-county. That's what the GAA public understand and it would have instant credibility which the new format will never achieve.  99 out of 100 GAA followers couldn't explain Tailteann Cup.

Tailteann Cup is for all intents and purposes an IFC, there already is a JFC involving Kilkenny, NY & two 'british' counties

bannside

Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Lessons will have been learned about the Tommy Murphy Cup and why it didn't catch on, and the GAA has a great chance now to rectify that. Market it properly and incentivise counties and players to make it really worth competing for. It can be a cash cow for the GAA and a medal worth having for counties who realistically have no other chance of playing at Croke Park in front of 85k people.

marty34

Is there anybody who thinks that it's shouldn't be like this?

A senior, intermediate and junior championship...like every county in Ireland.

After Covid, I would have said ok, by the end of the NFL 2025, whatever leagueyou're in then that's your championship and work it out over the 4 leagues asfair as possible.

Give teams a few years to get their act together and try to push on and progress a bit.

The hurlers have done it excellently with chances to develop and progress.  Football seems a bit up of itself for some reason - a serious sense of entitlement.

If you're in Div. 4 etc., you're there for a reason.

Market it well (unlike the Mc Donagh and Ring etc.) and it'll go well.

country bumpkin

Have not looked at all to the introduction of the tailteann cup competition but seems the final is scheduled for July.

Not sure of format but does the introduction of such provide another 'cash cow' for the powers that be and does it ensure clubs lucky enough to have players on the county team betold to proceed without those individuals until Antrim leaves that stage...

imtommygunn

Tbh I doubt it will be a cash cow but I suspect it won't be great for clubs with lots of county players with availability etc. I'm glad it's over in July and tbh if it's over in July that would be best case anyway though hopefully we'll beat Cavan then when we do exit ulster be in at later stages and stay in it a while...

toby47

Chris Kerr called up again

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2022, 10:00:50 AM
Tbh I doubt it will be a cash cow but I suspect it won't be great for clubs with lots of county players with availability etc. I'm glad it's over in July and tbh if it's over in July that would be best case anyway though hopefully we'll beat Cavan then when we do exit ulster be in at later stages and stay in it a while...

So we don't want to be successful if it gets in the way of our club games  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Almost anything CB comments MR2 you weigh in behind looking to pick an argument, getting tedious at this stage. This board is ridiculous.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on April 12, 2022, 10:52:10 AM
Almost anything CB comments MR2 you weigh in behind looking to pick an argument, getting tedious at this stage. This board is ridiculous.

Ive replied to Tommy, but carry on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

I'm a Creggan man and there is no doubt MR2s dislike for Cargin

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunsilly King on April 12, 2022, 10:55:14 AM

Can you back that statement up?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2022, 11:00:14 AM

I don't think there has to be too many Colombos or Sherlocks among us to work it out
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Tyrdub

no need for that lad, that's overstepping the mark.

for the record, he hates everyone equally, like all referees should

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2022, 11:00:14 AM

Empty vessels and all that DK....

I do not engage.....