Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

I agree Natsosaff, I got to two of the games and the quality of player on the pitch is way up on what was there under Lenny, no longer could we say 'such and such wouldn't make a good club team'.  I recall Antrim playing Tyrone a couple of years ago and there were several in this category who got game time.
Lets hope the weekend works out, you never know we could be in Division 2, I wouldn't rule out a Fermanagh win and if we do our bit we're up.

bannside

Maybe I was a bit strong in my criticism at the weekend and apologise in particular for questioning Endas integrity. I've no doubt he is there for all the right reasons and has no agenda other than producing Antrim to do well.

I maybe could have worded things differently because I know I hit a raw nerve that's for sure. The principle of my point remains though - why take off two or three players who are obviously going well in a game. And not take off others who are noticably contributing little or nothing! As a level two football coach with plenty of relevant experience I have to say I found that strange to say the least.

There's no easy way to make that point, then you take in personalities and relationships which further complicate things. No one wants to go there, we would all rather be talking about great displays and individual performances and continuing progression curves.

If we get two points on Sunday we all admit it's been another good campaign overall. If we don't, well I suppose most on here would have settled for mid table at the start of the year and another season to continue the build.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 23, 2022, 12:00:17 PM
Maybe I was a bit strong in my criticism at the weekend and apologise in particular for questioning Endas integrity. I've no doubt he is there for all the right reasons and has no agenda other than producing Antrim to do well.

I maybe could have worded things differently because I know I hit a raw nerve that's for sure. The principle of my point remains though - why take off two or three players who are obviously going well in a game. And not take off others who are noticably contributing little or nothing! As a level two football coach with plenty of relevant experience I have to say I found that strange to say the least.

There's no easy way to make that point, then you take in personalities and relationships which further complicate things. No one wants to go there, we would all rather be talking about great displays and individual performances and continuing progression curves.

If we get two points on Sunday we all admit it's been another good campaign overall. If we don't, well I suppose most on here would have settled for mid table at the start of the year and another
season to continue the build.

If your 'raw nerve' comment is pointed at me Bannside indeed your swerve from the topic in discussion to have have a couple of swipes at Cargin was much anticipated....

Sportacus

The disappointing thing for me was that Louth was the classic game to test our mentality - are we still the old fragile Antrim, or have McGinley and O'Neill managed to transfer some of their winning mentality to our lads.  It seems it was same old same old.  A bit like Conte trying to lift Spurs.  They'll earn their corn now as managers if they can get the squad to be honest about this mentality - have some players settled for Div 3 survival, maybe they don't want to go up to Div 2 yet?  Not a Tyrone mentality, but could be an Antrim player mentality deep down.  I'd love to see them crack it.

imtommygunn

Another factor here which no one seems to consider... Louth have progressed really well under Harte / Devlin and are possibly just better than us. That doesn't mean we haven't progressed. I think BS is getting more bad press than he deserves on this  BTW :P There are too many personal gripes creeping into this page sometimes.

bannside

A year ago I had the good fortune to practically sneak into our game against Louth last year, and witness the first of three amazing comebacks (last kick if the ball winning scores) but drive home that day setting a barometer that if in a years time our progress was better than Louths I would be happy. To me both counties were starting off around the same level. In fact Lenny's Antrim beat Louth quite handily the year before in the qualifier.

Sadly the reverse was true. CB wasn't there to see what we are taking about...it wasn't pretty, and we played second fiddle for large parts of that game. The barometer I had set for myself failed - Louth were better all round than we were - so that was disappointing. 

Louth are still my barometer. Whether it's this year or next or the one after,  that's where I measure our success. That's not to say on Sunday night we won't go up in their place, it's possible. To do that we need everybody going well and everyone firing on all cylinders, but a repeat of the Longford form should leave us spot on. Here's hoping......

Dunsilly King

Quote from: bannside on March 21, 2022, 10:23:20 AM
DK you're entitled to your opinion but I have been going to Antrim games home and away for a long time and have to say yesterday was as flat and lethargic a performance as I have seen. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the office, but please call it as it is and stop trying to play the man here and not the content. Were you at the game? What is your opinion, happy enough with that?

I'd say you're one of those who only go to county matches because you've a relation on the pitch. If you were even there at all.

Since your derisory comment about Portglenone being chokers, a few days before your club threw away a seven point lead in Ulster Club you lost a lot of credibility here.....Especially after you went into hiding for a month after. I know it's a bit belated, but would you care to comment about that, or wish to withdraw any allegations about chokers?

Amazing how you conveniently forgot to say how we came from 6 down against three in a row Cargin to win the semi final. brain freeze ?
Don't bare a grudge when a manager doesn't think a player isn't good enough and then leaves as he doesn't fancy a scrap for his place.

bannside

I didn't make the comment about chokers. You did . Then you choked from a massive height a few days later. Clown. Did your brain freeze over when you went into hiding for a month. Pride came before your fall, so suck it up lad!

Re my son. Don't you be assuming anything unless you want to be man enough to say who your boy wonder is? Niall had opportunity to go back, decided to stay and help kick things on around the club. His call, no one else's. Still one of the best defenders in the county and owes no one anything.

Milltown Row2

Some craic here, I'll be wearing the Fermanagh top this weekend! Hopefully the umpires give them a few calls in their favour this week!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

U country boys need to calm down its only pre season thats championship level banter!

country bumpkin

Football leagues are early in the twilight zone .........

6.45 start time Wed 30th....

Caesar

All for a bit of craic but maybe leave the family comments out of it...

A quick glance through Dunsilly King's posts tells you all you need to know.

EOC1923

This discussion since Sunday has been pretty unsightly, from DK mentioning BS family connections to a clearly rattled BS mentioning the county senior team managers family connections. Leave it out lads, air your opinions without getting personal.

NatSoSaff

here here, plenty going on over the next few weeks to get stuck in to enough healthy debate and ribbing without getting personal. Hopefully the upturn in the weather and promotion (or at least a good win) at the weekend lifts everyone's mood  8)

bannside

Was watching our county under 20s for the third time this season the other night in a challenge game and they are moving fairly well albeit they were playing a mixture of our seniors and reserves. Hopefully they can go to Owenbeg and be competitive at least when they face Derry in the U 20 championship.