Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Longford was sublime and was given all the plaudits for such. Louth match called out for what it was, a poor tame effort with nothing to like about it.

Were you in Ardee CB? I suspect not. If you were you would have had great trouble disagreeing with me! My views are consistent with every Antrim supporter I met yesterday. And our management are big enough to know that too.

If we go to sublime again on Sunday, let's acknowledge that. Nothing to do with colours or management bashing. Just call it for what it is!

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 21, 2022, 02:43:19 PM
Longford was sublime and was given all the plaudits for such. Louth match called out for what it was, a poor tame effort with nothing to like about it.

Were you in Ardee CB? I suspect not. If you were you would have had great trouble disagreeing with me! My views are consistent with every Antrim supporter I met yesterday. And our management are big enough to know that too.

If we go to sublime again on Sunday, let's acknowledge that. Nothing to do with colours or management bashing. Just call it for what it is!
Was not at Agree BS, had business at home but am safe in the knowledge that we are not brimming over with talent in our county.
Safe to say that Cargin and Creggan are away ahead of the pack and they provide around 50% of the start team

Having started the year as hugely critical of management you did screech to a halt before back on the negative

You say some on the start 15 yesterday should have been ditched but went on to suggest replacements made were wrong and they were not fit for purpose.

Has the current management ignored talented individuals within our county?

Jeez we are making no headway within and for the life of me having covered games aplenty for the life of me cannot see the talented individuals ignored....can you..?

bannside

Hold on a bit here before you go further on this CB. I said the substitutions were wrong at the time because some of those getting the curly finger were doing well and some of those getting full tenure had hardly got going at all..the views strongly shared by the Antrim supporters around me! As I say if you'de been there you wouldn't be disagreeing with me on this particular point.

You bang on about the sheer dominance of Cargin and Creggan players being miles ahead. That record is getting very tired at this stage, even if Endas first panel last year had 2O players from those combined parishes.

The majority of the counties best players are in that squad, but definitely not all. But that's current managements choice, as is their match day selection, tactics etc. Some days they get it right, yesterday was all wrong, so instead of dwelling on it, or even having the audacity to debate that point because you weren't there to see or, focus must be on getting it right on Sunday and hoping Fermanagh do us a favour.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 21, 2022, 04:26:30 PM
Hold on a bit here before you go further on this CB. I said the substitutions were wrong at the time because some of those getting the curly finger were doing well and some of those getting full tenure had hardly got going at all..the views strongly shared by the Antrim supporters around me! As I say if you'de been there you wouldn't be disagreeing with me on this particular point.

You bang on about the sheer dominance of Cargin and Creggan players being miles ahead. That record is getting very tired at this stage, even if Endas first panel last year had 2O players from those combined parishes.

The majority of the counties best players are in that squad, but definitely not all. But that's current managements choice, as is their match day selection, tactics etc. Some days they get it right, yesterday was all wrong, so instead of dwelling on it, or even having the audacity to debate that point because you weren't there to see or, focus must be on getting it right on Sunday and hoping Fermanagh do us a favour.

Well BS you remain a huge critic of the present regime when it suits.
But be brave enough to tel just who are the personnel who should be on the current team.

Will pass such info to current management....

Spike

Lets be clear, there are no undiscovered David Cliffords playing in Antrim.  A couple of players may not be in the squad but arguable they are on a par at best with what is already there.  Either the management thought they were not good enough, they stepped away as a choice, or they wouldn't buy into the management's expectations. Either way, there is no Superman waiting on the sidelines.

The current management have delivered improvement in their first two years. That is all we asked for.   We are punching above our weight at the moment and have at least 2 hard pre-seasons ahead of us to gain the required minimum physique across the entire squad that is expected of a Div 2 side.   We have a chance of an ulster championship upset but are decidedly the underdogs.

They didn't play well yesterday and got the result they deserved.   If we were offered the hope of promotion on the last day at the start of the season we'd have taken it. 

Saffsof82

Spot on Spike. We played really badly yesterday, thats history now, lads know that, now everyone justs picks themselves up and go at next Sunday like its the championship final. Kevin small should e fit to start on Sunday coming and that should give Mick more scope to influence the game. Louth are a serious team btw, i didnt get a programme so not sure about names but the 8, 10 and 14 were outstanding and Mulroy was a class above that.

bannside

Spike that's fair comment. There are no superstars for sure, and we would have taken mid div 3 placing at the start of the year. But given a chance at promotion, great day for football, large crowd, we completely fluffed our lines.

Today's IN match report agrees. It says Louth were a different animal. It says Antrim left with nothing but regrets. The performance was as weak as water and management and players must take responsibility for that.

But to add balance, players like the training and set up. Has Mc Ginley & Co brought us on. I'd say yes. But has he made more progress than Harte and Horse Devlin - given that we beat them in this fixture last year. If that was the acid test, we failed it miserably!

Sunday is a chance to change that narrative..as it stands we can still go up and Louth may not. And 9 points would indeed be a decent return for efforts regardless of final placings.

imtommygunn

Harte is a hugely experienced manager and McGinley is still learning and doing  great job so probably a touch unfair comparing the two!! Disappointing to lose that yes and probably more disappointing to know we lost it well but hopefully we can improve against westmeath.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 21, 2022, 05:05:37 PM
Spike that's fair comment. There are no superstars for sure, and we would have taken mid div 3 placing at the start of the year. But given a chance at promotion, great day for football, large crowd, we completely fluffed our lines.

Today's IN match report agrees. It says Louth were a different animal. It says Antrim left with nothing but regrets. The performance was as weak as water and management and players must take responsibility for that.

But to add balance, players like the training and set up. Has Mc Ginley & Co brought us on. I'd say yes. But has he made more progress than Harte and Horse Devlin - given that we beat them in this fixture last year. If that was the acid test, we failed it miserably!

Sunday is a chance to change that narrative..as it stands we can still go up and Louth may not. And 9 points would indeed be a decent return for efforts regardless of final placings.
So you have no message for Enda as to those gifted players he left out BS....

He will be disappointed....

bannside

Hopefully ITG. It's well known that a manager will find out more about his players in a bad defeat than we will pick up in an easy victory. Enda still learning his trade and may well get there in time. Harte and possibly Gavin Devlin had Louth at a different pitch yesterday. It happens, a typical season in club or county will have its share of peaks and troughs.

It's the bounce back factor we need, so happy to close down on the negatives and hopefully we will be smiling on Sunday evening. I do believe Fermanagh can pull off a result for us.

bannside

Enda has more than enough advisors already from your part of the world, you know, the part that's miles better than the rest. Too many advisors perhaps. But you keep flying your wee green flag there. Cargin seconds for Ulster!

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on March 21, 2022, 06:23:25 PM
Enda has more than enough advisors already from your part of the world, you know, the part that's miles better than the rest. Too many advisors perhaps. But you keep flying your wee green flag there. Cargin seconds for Ulster!
You're letting yourself down there BS

bannside

No I didnt. I admire Cargin and their consistency over the years. It's the condescending attitude from CB I find distasteful.

imtommygunn

On the topic of Louth management team I read one of the Louth players say Devlin was the best man manager he had ever encountered.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 21, 2022, 06:29:14 PM
No I didnt. I admire Cargin and their consistency over the years. It's the condescending attitude from CB I find distasteful.
Jeez, as if I would dare to patronize your good self....
Make up your Ming BS....one minute you are putting the boot into Mc Ginley, and then a little back tracking..

If you really want to help your county out you could at least reveal the name of those prospective county players so the management can take a look.