Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on March 21, 2022, 10:51:37 AM
Relax lads. We are falling out with each other very early on this year. It's usually about May/June before the fall outs start.

Or depending on which games I'm covering  ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dreadnought

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 16, 2022, 10:16:14 PM
Cavan giving it the big un but they won't even bring a big crowd anyway. Corrigan big enough and the rightful venue.

Cavan always bring a big crowd, you can bet there will be a scramble for tickets as there simply won't be enough

imtommygunn

On another note entirely congratulations to BC on what, as far as I know, is wolfe tones first points ever in the league?? (It is isn't it?)

Dreadnought

Quote from: ck on March 17, 2022, 10:41:37 PM

Cavan don't deserve a single ticket after trying to pull a stunt like that. Glad fairness prevailed and the money argument was diminished.
All of that aside it should be a cracking match. Both teams going well in the lower divisions and this game is a realistic win for both.

What are you talking about? So someone in the Cavan setup did that, but you don't want ordinary folk to get tickets? Don't be so silly

imtommygunn

Cancel culture is alive and well on this thread  ;D

JimStynes

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 21, 2022, 11:13:14 AM
On another note entirely congratulations to BC on what, as far as I know, is wolfe tones first points ever in the league?? (It is isn't it?)

Not sure what happened back in the 60's but certainly the first points of the new club. A bit hoarse today but enjoying seeing them building themselves up. For a club that didn't exist 3 years ago they've fairly built a good solid basis

Saffsof82

what about that other new club that started last year in North Belfast? Have heard anything about them

Tyrdub

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2022, 12:15:00 PM

Not sure what happened back in the 60's but certainly the first points of the new club. A bit hoarse today but enjoying seeing them building themselves up. For a club that didn't exist 3 years ago they've fairly built a good solid basis

Local club to me, father of "she who must be obeyed" played for them in 60's and up to they folded in the 70's. He was also the club secretary or Antrim representative at meetings, he showed me the notebooks recording everything of that time. He was presented with a jersey from the new formed club and got choked up about it. He's proud of what they're doing and would go watch the odd match still.
Have been to some of their training sessions and friendly matches, they are going well, lots of numbers, lots of ladies footballers as well, hope they keep at it. North Belfast is too big an area for just 3 clubs

Tyrdub

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 21, 2022, 12:31:52 PM
what about that other new club that started last year in North Belfast? Have heard anything about them

Henry Joy's

From what I have heard all is not well there

Milltown Row2

They'd be my local club, well local for the past 22 years, are you playing at Jordanstown or the Valley?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2022, 12:33:06 PM

They'd be my local club, well local for the past 22 years, are you playing at Jordanstown or the Valley?

I'm the Valley which can be a pain in the hole but will do for now. We have put in 3 decent performances so far, though i missed one due to the Covid.  It's an achievement to be fielding nevermind winning games. Nice mix too of locals and hallions from the country.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 21, 2022, 08:36:20 AM
There's a time for giving fellas their senior debuts, but usually it's the Mc Kenna cup and not the last ten minutes of a vital game. And when we need a goal (we didn't have time to rattle off 4 or 5 points) why the hell did we not stick Big Pat and Conor Murray in around the square, and land three or four on to top of them, with breaking ball winners Dermot or Ryan there to collect the scraps....hold on...those two had been most surprisingly  removed from play earlier!

Instead Pat finds himself out near the sideline in the middle third any time he was on the ball. I mean...this is basic stuff we are talking about.

This enduring loyalty to certain players who are consistently underperforming needs to end, and fast...in defence as well as attack, if management want to retain their integrity and support of the majority who can see through this. I'm putting that out there because only a few were seeing it in the earlier rounds, but now everyone is talking about it.

Hopefully we can bounce back on Sunday with a win to finish off the campaign and send supporters home thinking that whether we do enough now to go up or not, that at least our progress curve is still intact.

Jeez BS  you really are s man of many colours and it was huge praise for Mc Ginley and his men one day to wielding a big shovel the next.
So management was poor yesterday and wrong decisions made with replacements out of their depth.

Have you forgotten the same management pulled us out of the basement and to the cusp of division two.?

imtommygunn

It is good to see BC and you need to start somewhere. That division can be a good place to start from especially given the likes of Laochra Lao are not long started. I used to play reserves in those divisions and Lisburn were in it in those days and were at a low ebb but if you look at them now they have won the junior championship so have come on leaps and bounds. The same could be said for the likes of Antrim town too. Definitely massive improvements in all those teams which is great to see. (I must confess I don't know when those two teams started mind you but they were definitely in a place where they were at the bottom and to credit them they have really worked their way up).

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 21, 2022, 01:50:54 PM
It is good to see BC and you need to start somewhere. That division can be a good place to start from especially given the likes of Laochra Lao are not long started. I used to play reserves in those divisions and Lisburn were in it in those days and were at a low ebb but if you look at them now they have won the junior championship so have come on leaps and bounds. The same could be said for the likes of Antrim town too. Definitely massive improvements in all those teams which is great to see. (I must confess I don't know when those two teams started mind you but they were definitely in a place where they were at the bottom and to credit them they have really worked their way up).

Laochra are a good template for us. They have been building as a club since 2005 when they started playing in the Gaeltacht competitions. They played in that for about 10 years before entering competitions in Antrim from what I understand. They have a strong solid base now and are going from strength to strength. We had a choice this year to stick it out in South Antrim for another while or take the plunge and go to Division 3. We accept we will get a few trimmings but if we are able to win 1-2 more games on top of yesterday that's success in my opinion. Anything over that is bonus territory. We have lads playing who never played senior adult football before. There's lads playing for the likes of St Galls 3rds who have county senior medals. Game by game and not get carried away. That's all I want