Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

As a blow-in to Antrim, I think it should be played in Corrigan Park. Money isn't everything.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Cavan19 on March 11, 2022, 11:08:20 AM
Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 11, 2022, 10:34:03 AM
As someone from a staunch Antrim/Derry GAA family with a Cavan & Fermanagh grandparent either side of the tree, I can tell you we cover a hell of a lot of miles to watch a lot of football. Have done since I can remember. Would I be convinced Cavan would take up to even a thousand supporters to Belfast for the match had all this shite not kicked off? No!
Dig the heels in for sure, but watch and laugh at the paltry support Cavan take up the road to Owenbeg after all their crying should that be the outcome. Any comment from Ulster Council on this vote outcome yet? They really do get worse not better.

Someone so staunch should know that Cavan have decent support and would bring a lot more than 1K to a Ulster championship game. For the record in my opinion the game should be played in Corrigan.

Bring it to Owenbeg surely it is closer to Cavan than Corrigan.

I look forward to seeing you all in corrigan  ;)

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Itchy on March 11, 2022, 11:09:30 AM
Have to say some of the derogrotary comments on here about Cavan GAA is quite sad lads. The first I heard of this vote was this morning. I am not happy about it and I dont like sly shit like this to get a upper hand. However, Corrigan park at 5k is not a suitable venue for big championship game and I can tell you we will bring more than 1k supporters to any venue anywhere in the province. I think its a bit of a laugh to hear one lad from a Derry/Antrim background sneering at Cavan support - are you joking?

I would say the game should go ahead in Corrigan park - no excuses and I will be very disappointed if we couldn't beat you there or anywhere. But ye should stand your ground for sure.

However, some advice for ye. Your county has a population of 615k. Even if we were to say half of those have no interest in GAA then you are still by far the biggest county in population terms in Ulster. So really take a look at yourselves lads, ye have no county ground and a team that moves indefinitely between Div3 to Div4. Stop throwing shite at small counties like Cavan with a fraction of your population.

Catch yourself on Itchy. You have 6 or 7 more football clubs in Cavan than Antrim. Dont play the size card. Completely different parts of the country, completely different challenges, completely different outlook (seemingly). Your County board have let you down a bag full. I'd be embarrassed to be honest.
I dont see any ruling or motion passed that 5k is too small to host a provincial championship match. Suck it up and get on with it. Pathetic

armaghniac

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 11, 2022, 12:45:05 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 11, 2022, 11:55:06 AM
Not surprised at the Cavan/Donegal/Monaghan/Fermanagh reps all voting against us at they usually stick together, but really surprised by Down and Armagh, let us down a bagful . Fair play to the Tyrone and Derry reps not being railroaded.
All very quiet from our own CB, would have thought they would have been all over the Irish News by this stage, see McGinley talking about it in the paper.

Down and Armagh possibly hoping for a gate if a neutral venue is the final outcome.

Or they may just believe that the GAA should not turn away paying customers, which is a reasonable view. In their heyday 20 years ago Armagh played many games in Clones, they did not try to shoehorn the crowd into Silverbridge.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

NAG1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 11, 2022, 01:46:11 PM
Not surprised at the Cavan/Donegal/Monaghan/Fermanagh reps all voting against us at they usually stick together, but really surprised by Down and Armagh, let us down a bagful . Fair play to the Tyrone and Derry reps not being railroaded.
All very quiet from our own CB, would have thought they would have been all over the Irish News by this stage, see McGinley talking about it in the paper.

Down and Armagh possibly hoping for a gate if a neutral venue is the final outcome.

Or they may just believe that the GAA should not turn away paying customers, which is a reasonable view. In their heyday 20 years ago Armagh played many games in Clones, they did not try to shoehorn the crowd into Silverbridge.

I call bullsh*t - Cavan trying to play petty tricks and Armagh weighed in behind them to the detriment of fellow gaels in Antrim.

Dont try and dress it up any other way to save face in Armagh. Corrigan more than capable of hosting the match and any expected attendance level for it.

Ulster Council Cabal at their shady under hand deals again.

Jeepers Creepers

Never thought i'd hear people getting behind #Corriganornowhere lol

armaghniac

Quote from: NAG1 on March 11, 2022, 01:52:08 PM
Dont try and dress it up any other way to save face in Armagh. Corrigan more than capable of hosting the match and any expected attendance level for it.

If it is big enough for the crowd then fine. However, I have always said that the GAA should not turn away people, the possibility of substantial attendance at person in games is one of its strengths. However, i suppose the point is that in Antrim there is no substantial attendance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cavan19

Quote from: NAG1 on March 11, 2022, 01:52:08 PM

I call bullsh*t - Cavan trying to play petty tricks and Armagh weighed in behind them to the detriment of fellow gaels in Antrim.

Ulster Council Cabal at their shady under hand deals again.

How many supporters do you think Antrim would bring to this game?

EOC1923

If people are turned away that's Ulster GAAs fault for making such a mess of Casement. Corrigan is  the Antrim county ground currently, who can attend and who cant attend is irrelevant really

Milltown Row2

I was at an Ulster championship game at Casement many years ago. Cavan V Down I think, the place was packed to the rafters as they say, weather was great also. Obviously a great attendance by both sets of supporters but what I did notice also was a massive attendance by the locals in Antrim, not just Belfast GAA men but even the SW came down  ;).. Its a shame we haven't that place now

There is no doubting that Antrim have not been the best supported and we won't hit the heights of Clones when we were in the final but we have a county ground at the minute and we should be allowed to play there unless it was stipulated at the start that Corrigan couldn't and won't be allowed to host the Ulster Championship, was this the case?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pbat

Very disappointed in the Armagh county board on this one.

Dreadnought

Lads I really feel for you here. Some sly strokes being pulled here. This should have been above board, time given to boards to think it over, and so on. But fellas, if we're being honest, Corrigan isn't big enough. What is the capacity that they'll allow for a Championship match (that is signed off for safety etc.)? I see a figure of 2600 being thrown around. That simply is not enough for Ulster games. Cavan have a very good support, and will travel for an Ulster Championship match. How can you possibly even accommodate even a fraction of the supporters who will want to go? I've been to every game this year, and I'd be concerned I'd not get a ticket once you remove the usual honchos, home fans, players families etc. 2600 isn't enough, lets be realistic here. This isn't like Newbridge where they can take something like 8000. It's looking a grand ground with the work done, but simply too small.

Spike

Is there a specific ruling saying Antrim must supply a venue fit to hold 5000 people? 

If not then it is completely up to Antrim whether they want play in corrigan, the bear pit or a council ground like cherryvale, as long as the 5 or 2005 people attending are safe and have tickets.

Anything else just sounds like moneygrabbing by ulster gaa

Sportacus

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 11, 2022, 03:01:01 PM
Lads I really feel for you here. Some sly strokes being pulled here. This should have been above board, time given to boards to think it over, and so on. But fellas, if we're being honest, Corrigan isn't big enough. What is the capacity that they'll allow for a Championship match (that is signed off for safety etc.)? I see a figure of 2600 being thrown around. That simply is not enough for Ulster games. Cavan have a very good support, and will travel for an Ulster Championship match. How can you possibly even accommodate even a fraction of the supporters who will want to go? I've been to every game this year, and I'd be concerned I'd not get a ticket once you remove the usual honchos, home fans, players families etc. 2600 isn't enough, lets be realistic here. This isn't like Newbridge where they can take something like 8000. It's looking a grand ground with the work done, but simply too small.
It's exactly like Newbridge or nowhere, just scaled down a bit, but exactly the same principle.  Kildare were drawn at home to Mayo but in theory the ground wasn't big enough. What's the difference?

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 11, 2022, 03:01:01 PM

There's thousands upon thousands who would like all Ireland final tickets too. Croker doesn't hold 200,000 unfortunately.
Get online when the tickets are out or contact your club committee once they're released. I'm sure you'll be grand. As for Cavan supporters, tough shi*%, It's an Antrim home fixture as per luck of the draw.