Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on February 23, 2022, 07:40:45 PM
I'd be happy with the number of games being played + championship games, most teams will have 23/24 games per year. Games to training ratio would be alright

But but but but.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2022, 07:47:24 PM
Quote from: delgany on February 23, 2022, 07:40:45 PM
I'd be happy with the number of games being played + championship games, most teams will have 23/24 games per year. Games to training ratio would be alright

But but but but.....

Sure they will.moan either way

bannside

Correct Delgany, will never please everyone. Too little, too few, too long a league....looks ok to me. Plenty of time for county players to be back to their clubs for the vast majority of games. The club's with the biggest number of county panelists should not be punished, it's only fair that they should not be looking down the face of relegation. A good mixture here...with a bit of additional common sense the club's with most players unavailable because of county duty should be paired against each other in the early stages.

delgany

Quote from: bannside on February 23, 2022, 08:46:48 PM
Correct Delgany, will never please everyone. Too little, too few, too long a league....looks ok to me. Plenty of time for county players to be back to their clubs for the vast majority of games. The club's with the biggest number of county panelists should not be punished, it's only fair that they should not be looking down the face of relegation. A good mixture here...with a bit of additional common sense the club's with most players unavailable because of county duty should be paired against each other in the early stages.

County Fixtures will have big impact on leagues. USFC V Cavan is on 23/4, winnable game imo, Qtr on 7/5.
Tailteann Cup starts 21/5 - prelim round , rd 1- 28/5 ; qtr 5 june. Realistic timeframe but could go further !

All county leagues -  6th March to 14th July -

bannside

If we get the league's completed in that timeframe, around county team interests, that will be a fantastic achievement. Then on to the big one, the club championships.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on February 24, 2022, 12:08:57 PM
If we get the league's completed in that timeframe, around county team interests, that will be a fantastic achievement. Then on to the big one, the club championships.

And no attempt as yet to make known dates and fixtures for those juvenile fixtures.

I am sure South West clubs do not reflect with gratitude on the day their previously successful juvenile competitions were forced into an all county amalgamation.

delgany

Quote from: country bumpkin on February 24, 2022, 12:15:08 PM

And no attempt as yet to make known dates and fixtures for those juvenile fixtures.

I am sure South West clubs do not reflect with gratitude on the day their previously successful juvenile competitions were forced into an all county amalgamation.

Juvenile fixtures are delayed because clubs are withdrawing from competitions  up until Monday past

Caesar

Anyone want to put their neck out and predict a shock in this years championship?

Toss of a coin between Cargin, Creggan and Lamh Dhearg for me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Caesar on February 24, 2022, 02:37:39 PM
Anyone want to put their neck out and predict a shock in this years championship?

A new winner last year, why not this year? Teams have shown themselves to be normal when before they looked out of sight.. St Johns were millimeters from going into extra time v Creggan, had that ball hit the net they had some momentum and could have went on to win.

I'll add the Johnnies to that list
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Caesar on February 24, 2022, 02:37:39 PM

A two horse race Creggan & Cargin the only two teams who can win the championship. The others can on a one off maybe bt them. Aghagallon still some ground to close to win a championship, Portglenone can improve, maybe. Lamh Dhearg are regressing and St Johns are not good enough to win it outright.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: delgany on February 24, 2022, 12:42:57 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on February 24, 2022, 12:15:08 PM

Juvenile fixtures are delayed because clubs are withdrawing from competitions  up until Monday past
what teams? sad to hear that

bannside

Your first paragraph DK is at odds with your second..Expect us to be firmly in the mix this year. New management team on a wavelength already with players that previous management were nowhere near. Can we improve enough to lift the Mc Namee? Really can't see why not!

Might as well just say it as think it.

clubman21

Instant success for Mckeever and Canavan perhaps.

Sportacus

Quote from: clubman21 on February 24, 2022, 04:22:40 PM
Instant success for Mckeever and Canavan perhaps.
If there's going to be a new name, Portglenone are the ones to watch.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on February 24, 2022, 04:01:04 PM
Your first paragraph DK is at odds with your second..Expect us to be firmly in the mix this year. New management team on a wavelength already with players that previous management were nowhere near. Can we improve enough to lift the Mc Namee? Really can't see why not!

Might as well just say it as think it.
BS I will give you a run down on how your year will go.
Your boys are training like mad already, John McKeever is targeting the league campaign. You only have one county player, so this is easy. You will get off to a flying start with win after win in the league.
However when the other experienced teams get up to speed and peak in September it will be deja vu. You may even get to the final like Aghagallon did last year as all the good teams were on the other side, but you will fall well short. You don't have the quality (particularly in the forward line) to lift a title currently.
Sorry BS but those are my thoughts on this matter.