Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaffgael

Co board geezer? Nothing their fault?

Sportacus

Quote from: bannside on November 01, 2021, 04:34:14 PM
You see I don't know what % of clubs would take it on the chin, and how many would not. It's easy for a club to say it wouldn't until they are in that position.

I appreciate your sentiment Champion. You say most clubs would object, that's interesting.

So IF most clubs would, why would PG1 be the big bad wolf if they do so? Just asking!
I think you're in a bind Bannside.  When you agreed to play the extra extra time you gave your word.  If you appeal, then you break your word.  That would not be good. 
As tempting in the short term as it is to appeal, you should first and foremost uphold your clubs good name.  For years to come you'll be remembered for your next move.

geezer

Quote from: asaffgael on November 01, 2021, 05:22:06 PM
Co board geezer? Nothing their fault?

100%. Shambles to be honest. But at the end of the day both teams agreed on the extra time. Pg1 can have no complaints. They should have raised their concerns at the time. Only my opinion of corse but just think pg1 getting on like a spoilt kid, didnt like the outcome after agreeing to extra time. As i said previous, poor form.

asaffgael

Sorry since when can a club refuse to play extra time that the referee or county official on the day is saying is to be played?

You are making it out like every club has a choice to play extra time.

I presume Portglenone would have thought that these officials would know the rules.

Ultimately after it shows the rules weren't followed correctly. Not Portglenone or Aghagallons fault

GiveItToTheShooters

Hopefully whoever are responsible for the balls up are sacked.

Champion The Wonder Horse

You see I don't know what % of clubs would take it on the chin, and how many would not. It's easy for a club to say it wouldn't until they are in that position.

I appreciate your sentiment Champion. You say most clubs would object, that's interesting.

So IF most clubs would, why would PG1 be the big bad wolf if they do so? Just asking!

Not my words, but PG1 is the "big bad wolf" because you are the club in this position.

But the whole idea of an appeal doesn't sit well.

I can't see any outcome other than a "Sorry, we made a mistake." Nor should there be.

JimStynes

Portglenone were beaten fair and square. That's the bit for me. They can't say we had an extra man on or anything during extra time. They were literally beaten by the better team on the day. Now they're trying to get it replayed on a technicality. They should be embarrassed and I've already been talking to 2 fellas from PG1 who think the same! One is still currently on the panel too. I'd say the club is split and a handful of people have been driving this and it's grown legs. Most of the good gaels from PG1 will know they have no reason to appeal.

stiffler

Quote from: Sportacus on November 01, 2021, 05:34:36 PM

I think you're in a bind Bannside.  When you agreed to play the extra extra time you gave your word.  If you appeal, then you break your word.  That would not be good. 
As tempting in the short term as it is to appeal, you should first and foremost uphold your clubs good name.  For years to come you'll be remembered for your next move.

This is the crux of it for me. By agreeing to the extra time, portglenone had the same opportunity to win the game as aghagallon.

What this has done is take the shine of what was a terrific game, played in a sporting context throughout.

I'm sure plenty of GAA men in portglenone are of the same opinion that they were beat fair and square on the field of play, and all this pantomime after does is bring the association into disrepute.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

BealnaBlath

This is no fault of PG or Aghagallon of course.

You can't expect either management to be able to to think at the time if they're following regulations of the finish on the day protocolsz 

They have enough on their plate at that stage.

County board chiefs to blame again. They are a shambles and have been for a long time.

Ports well in their rights to appeal. Don't think I would but understand why they are.

The championship set up and drawn out nature was ridiculous. The lack of support for referees and inability to apply the rules they set. Egotistical puppets

JimStynes

I'm hearing the result stands and it's up to PG1 now if they want to go to ulster to appeal

JimStynes

Quote from: BealnaBlath on November 01, 2021, 06:19:36 PM
This is no fault of PG or Aghagallon of course.

You can't expect either management to be able to to think at the time if they're following regulations of the finish on the day protocolsz 

They have enough on their plate at that stage.

County board chiefs to blame again. They are a shambles and have been for a long time.

Ports well in their rights to appeal. Don't think I would but understand why they are.

The championship set up and drawn out nature was ridiculous. The lack of support for referees and inability to apply the rules they set. Egotistical puppets

It's completely PG1's fault by appealing on such weak grounds. They've made a complete dick of themselves and they've embarrassed the good name of their club. It's a club I'd have had a good bit of respect for but they've definitely took a hit in that department today.

asaffgael

Jim your embarrassing yourself.. Portglenone's fault that officials at a senior championship semi final can't get the rules right.

quit yo jibbajabba

Busiest day ever on the Antrim Gaa thread?

Carry on..

JimStynes

Quote from: asaffgael on November 01, 2021, 06:43:41 PM
Jim your embarrassing yourself.. Portglenone's fault that officials at a senior championship semi final can't get the rules right.

As I said I'd understand if we had an advantage in ET. Take a look at Twitter and see who's embarrassing because all I'm seeing is neutrals slating Portglenone. It's sour grapes and trying to get a match they lost replayed on a technicality.

delgany

Official Guide Part 2 - Time
Rule 3.4b   organising committee may arrange the playing of extra time with the agreement of the two teams involved , prior to the commencement of a game .
I believe that this may well be - a get  out clause for those in command !