Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

This conversation has completely swung towards refereeing. That is only part of it and is missing the point. The issue is the same small group of clubs and their thug antics year after year. Is it a cultural thing or are they coached this way?

Milltown Row2

Asked this question the other day after coming off the pitch, are coaches training players to niggle/sledge/annoy/harass certain players rather than going for the ball? The farting about on kick outs and lads checking players runs it's impossible to control.

The ref is watching the kick out to see if it passes the D or 21, turn and watch the mark, make sure there's no pushing and that's just got kick outs!! I've absolutely no other sight than concentrating on that. What goes on elsewhere is difficult to catch.

Linesman or umpires can't call 'live' fouls, will only bring you in if it's a yellow or red after play has stopped.

The linesmen, refs or umpires don't give a crap who wins, they just want a hassle free 60 mins.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Milltown would it be common or uncommon in Antrim to use radio between the officials?  I spoke to a ref in Derry who would be using ear piece communication with his linesmen in championship matches and he said it made a massive difference in being able to keep a lid on things.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on September 04, 2021, 12:09:24 PM
Milltown would it be common or uncommon in Antrim to use radio between the officials?  I spoke to a ref in Derry who would be using ear piece communication with his linesmen in championship matches and he said it made a massive difference in being able to keep a lid on things.

We do, I had them in my game on Wednesday, makes a big difference, but we've maybe one set, it's an expensive piece of equipment in fairness, maybe the inter county lads have their own.

But here's the problem, with junior intermediate and senior hurling this weekend we won't have enough people for linesman or umpires...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Thanks.  It sounds like a good thing to invest in, but as you say, you need a body to wear it.  I'm sure there's not enough money to go around, but I wonder do we spend what we have on some things less useful.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 04, 2021, 10:31:47 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 03, 2021, 07:41:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 03, 2021, 07:34:02 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 03, 2021, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 03, 2021, 07:08:35 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 03, 2021, 06:25:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 03, 2021, 06:14:54 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 03, 2021, 04:43:22 PM
No one said Aghagallon were picked on or unlucky.
Aghagallon didn't have an issue with discipline either, what people were saying was that Aghagallon got boys sent off and LD didn't, in not just one game but two in fact, and that the ref made a mess of it and is becoming the norm in these big games involving these clubs.

Player openly said he punched player in the stomach after being told to stop messing about and gets sent off is not difficult. What happened prior to that is up for debate as it wasn't seen.
This is what I'm talking about.
Funny you or your umpire didn't see CMs headbutt and strike that caused the retaliation. Just Aghagallons. Gotcha.

How is the ref going to see that?  The umpire said they were have some argy bargy. You got it right he retaliated and got caught. Now if you're more disciplined they havevwon that game and been in the quarters.

Can't teach stupid
So one was seen and the other wasn't. Gotcha. Seems to be a pattern here

The lad took his medicine and comes across like a nice fella. It's a petty he bought that one, play the ball and you can't get sent off.

Again you can't teach stupid.
Ok. So it's "he bought that one" now.  ;D
Perpetrators allowed to do what they do.
It would appear if you play the man you can't get sent off either.
You can't teach stupid is right.
time to dry your eyes and move on ! U r still in championship
You?
Eyes are dry. Just highlighting the difference in treatment some teams get.

BealnaBlath

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 04, 2021, 12:42:44 PM
Aghagallon didn't have an issue with discipline either, what people were saying was that Aghagallon got boys sent off and LD didn't, in not just one game but two in fact, and that the ref made a mess of it and is becoming the norm in these big games involving these clubs.

Player openly said he punched player in the stomach after being told to stop messing about and gets sent off is not difficult. What happened prior to that is up for debate as it wasn't seen.
Funny you or your umpire didn't see CMs headbutt and strike that caused the retaliation. Just Aghagallons. Gotcha.

How is the ref going to see that?  The umpire said they were have some argy bargy. You got it right he retaliated and got caught. Now if you're more disciplined they havevwon that game and been in the quarters.

Can't teach stupid

The lad took his medicine and comes across like a nice fella. It's a petty he bought that one, play the ball and you can't get sent off.

You?

By all accounts the Endas and Agh game had some very ill discipline, saffron gael described it as " off the ball incidents and unsavoury scenes". Seems to be a recurring theme with one of those teams?

Was that the fault of the officials or again Endas fault for being thugs as some on here seem to keep blaming other clubs for their own discipline problems?

Does look like coaching has turned more into sledging/harrsssing etc and to be fair to some coaches, they probably think they need to do that more against the better teams. At county level, Kerry/Dublin have the best forwards, maybe not this year. In antrim club, Cargin, LD,Creggan, PG1,have the best attacking players in the county probably, some coaches might be thinking they need to use under hand tactics to stop them to even the match out? Hard for refs to see all that.

I think it's a good call for county board to invest in getting the officials micd up and try recruit more ( I've no doubt they probably are) I believe other sports are having serious issue with resource for ref at the moment as well and games called off.

Didn't know linesmen couldn't call fouls "live". Would it be good rule to propose that linesmen can call it live to refs? Gives more of a focus for them on the game and helps refs/allows for better attacking play I imagine? Which we all want to see no matter the allegiance!

Milltown Row2

It's a numbers game and how do you entice a potential referee when all you have to do is listen to the sidelines at every game? It's surprising we have any referees.

So while we all have good intentions it's still some guy giving up his time to head up the country to be given dogs abuse by buck eejit who's probably never kicked/struck a ball

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: BealnaBlath on September 04, 2021, 02:32:04 PM

Can't teach stupid

You?

By all accounts the Endas and Agh game had some very ill discipline, saffron gael described it as " off the ball incidents and unsavoury scenes". Seems to be a recurring theme with one of those teams?

Was that the fault of the officials or again Endas fault for being thugs as some on here seem to keep blaming other clubs for their own discipline problems?

Does look like coaching has turned more into sledging/harrsssing etc and to be fair to some coaches, they probably think they need to do that more against the better teams. At county level, Kerry/Dublin have the best forwards, maybe not this year. In antrim club, Cargin, LD,Creggan, PG1,have the best attacking players in the county probably, some coaches might be thinking they need to use under hand tactics to stop them to even the match out? Hard for refs to see all that.

I think it's a good call for county board to invest in getting the officials micd up and try recruit more ( I've no doubt they probably are) I believe other sports are having serious issue with resource for ref at the moment as well and games called off.

Didn't know linesmen couldn't call fouls "live". Would it be good rule to propose that linesmen can call it live to refs? Gives more of a focus for them on the game and helps refs/allows for better attacking play I imagine? Which we all want to see no matter the allegiance!
No one is blaming other clubs here nor does any clubs involved in that match have "discipline problems" or be in a recurring theme. You stick to reading saffron Gael reports.

BealnaBlath

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 04, 2021, 02:55:16 PM

Can't teach stupid

You?

No one is blaming other clubs here nor does any clubs involved in that match have "discipline problems" or be in a recurring theme. You stick to reading saffron Gael reports.

That's right, all those  other posts that have been pushing the narrative that Aghagallon are getting picked on by officials while the big clubs/players get special treatment must have escaped your attention. Despite clear  evidence showing otherwise. There's a team there with serious potential to win championships over the years and benefit the county team as a result, blaming other teams and officials for your lack of discipline in a few games when it's tight is a nonsense.

Understand the issue with resources and getting refs out, maybe increase pay if possible from GAA central funds to attract snd incentives such as All Ireland tickets ?

On another note and we all might agree, could a small area on the sideline be marked out and team officials aren't allowed to move out of it? Much like soccer. Might be hard to manage?

Milltown Row2

If clubs would discipline their own supporters and players and officials for breaking a clubs code of conduct.  That would go a long way to reducing the clampits at games

BealnaBlath

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 04, 2021, 03:17:43 PM
If clubs would discipline their own supporters and players and officials for breaking a clubs code of conduct.  That would go a long way to reducing the clampits at games

I don't think anyone can argue with that. Nature of club politics and family ties sadly prevents that happening more often. One less worrie for the officials amd even players to deal with

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: BealnaBlath on September 04, 2021, 03:14:32 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 04, 2021, 02:55:16 PM

Can't teach stupid

You?

That's right, all those  other posts that have been pushing the narrative that Aghagallon are getting picked on by officials while the big clubs/players get special treatment must have escaped your attention. Despite clear  evidence showing otherwise. There's a team there with serious potential to win championships over the years and benefit the county team as a result, blaming other teams and officials for your lack of discipline in a few games when it's tight is a nonsense.

Understand the issue with resources and getting refs out, maybe increase pay if possible from GAA central funds to attract snd incentives such as All Ireland tickets ?

On another note and we all might agree, could a small area on the sideline be marked out and team officials aren't allowed to move out of it? Much like soccer. Might be hard to manage?
There isn't clear evidence showing otherwise.

No one is blaming other teams either. Aghagallon haven't had a lack of discipline. Just funny that numerous people have pointed out the difference in the two clubs and what was and wasn't punished on video the other day for example. You're going off saffron Gael reports which says it all.

JimStynes

One official told us to f**k off back to Armagh. Disgrace.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on September 04, 2021, 05:21:53 PM
One official told us to f**k off back to Armagh. Disgrace.

That's uncalled for, Tyrone would be better  :)