Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Glensman on November 13, 2007, 04:11:57 PM
Jody should ask him back. He should ask him back now, while St Galls are training away for something else. Get a commitment from him that he will rejoin the panel in tandem with the rest of the St Galls players and he can slip in without the media circus that might and would occur if he was asked any later...that media circus might very well be created by Kevin McGourty himself.

If he has any sense of cop on he will say yes and then rejoin the panel and give it his all. If he has any shred of gael in him, which he must do, he will realise that this constant attention he gets takes away from the efforts of other.

He is a very good footballer of that there is no doubt but the amount of air time he gets annoys my happiness (me writing posts about him doesn't help).

Do any of the Galls men on here know what drives him? Does he get a kick out of the attention? Does he get a kick out of being universally called mouthy/arrogant?

Im not a galls man, nor an antrim one, but Ive known Kevin since we went to queens together. Having seen him in action from getting lunch, to going out at night, to crossing the fecking road, He doesnt do things quietly.
I think he enjoys being the centre of attention. He loves being an arsehole - that said Id be fond enough of him. He can be a thick hoor too though. I cant imagine what frustration some of his potential antrim team mates might feel with his antics at times. Once he crosses that line though, he is a born winner.

Shawsroad - I salute you! :D :D :D :D

billy the kid

I am not a fan of his because of his attitude but i do recognise that Kevin is def a talented player and i agree if he were from Derry he would be good enough to make the team!

However he has a rotten attitude and his actions last year questioning the ability of the Antrim panel Jody Gormley had drawn up and then deciding he wouldnt join it because as Max said he wanted to "come into the panel at the end of the league and play in the championship."

How arrogant and big headed is that?

What annoys us gaels from outside your county so much is that Antrim and Jody Gormley are trying to progress the state and level of Antrim football and build something, taking the team to the next level.  To do this you need all your top players on board.

Kevin is def one of those. 

However you also need a disciplined group working together and pulling in the one direction. 

Kevin is def not one of those.

Antrim football has been underachieving at intercounty level for to long and for a player of that quality to basically refuse to play for the county is not a nice thing to see when players of far less ability are willing to do whatever it takes to just make the panel of 30.

I also agree that the onus is on jody to invite him back but only in the manner all players will be invited onto the panel or training squads for the upcoming season.  He, like all other players, must give a guarantee of committment for the cause.

Like him or loathe him he has plenty of talent

His county needs him

if he is a true Saffron Gael he will answer the call!!
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

gaagaa

Quote from: OUR BOY on November 13, 2007, 12:42:13 PM
As an outsider it never ceases to amaze me why so many in Antrim continue to rave on about Kevin mc Grourty but to say Jody Gormley should build a team aroung him is hilarilious. Lets just say i dont think the building built on that foundation would last very long.We are talking here about someone who altough undoubtedly talented is one the most indisciplined players (on and off the field) in the present game. On the pitch he manages to annoy his teammates,the opposition and the referree in virtually every game while off it he has a track record of insulting the co board,management and his so called team "mates". Until Antrim forget about him and his like and start to build a team of talented, strong minded and discilpined individuals they will continue to go no where. I appreciate this is easier said than done and takes time and patience. JodyGormley seems to be going the right way about this. He sent out a strong message last year by dropping Kevin and not asking him back. This long term plan is the way forward for Antrim not by building a team around the afore mentioned individual.

couldnt agree more - if he hadnt yapped so much in ai club final and concertrated on playing they might have won

gaagaa

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 13, 2007, 02:09:25 PM

Surely "Kevin McGourty has the ability to make the Derry county football team." is a perfectly valid sentence.

he wouldnt even make the sub bench with his lack of manners - we have enough yappy players of our own thank you ;D

gaagaa

Quote from: hardstation on November 13, 2007, 02:29:04 PM
He should be there. Kevin knows it and Jody knows it.
I just hope that between the two of them they sort it out. To have this nonsense going on for two years is just unbelievable.

get him laim bradley's tel no and he'll give him advice on how to sort out internals ;)

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on November 13, 2007, 05:06:16 PM
Any team news from the Bog Meadows?

Looks like same team up to midfield, forward line will be 6 from McGourty x 3, O'Neill, Niblock, Gallagher, Stewart & Burns.  Could be Gaga and Burns to miss out. Probably O'Neill, Niblock, Kevin McGourty, Stewarty, Kieran McGourty, CJ.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Balboa

Shaws Road is a very good club player alright.

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on November 13, 2007, 02:13:52 PM
Kevin would make the Derry team alright. He should be on the Antrim team but it wouldn't be Antrim unless there was some sort of infighting to feck their chances up.
You're awful cynical about Jody, SS2. That aul Tyrone hatred coming out on you?

Been cynical about young Gormley for years. Ever since his appointment as Antrim senior trainer, at a time when he would have worked with the then Antrim county board chairman (I introduced the word inveigled to the board at that stage), through his subsequent departure to become Down senior trainer, through his appearance along the line as Down under-21s progressed to an All-Ireland final, through him jumping ship when it was becoming increasing clear that Paddy O'Rourke was going to be replaced.

And then there's his record as Antrim manager, a worse league record than even Mickey Culbert managed and a totally inept championship defeat. Reaching the Tommy Murphy Cup final wasn't an achievement; ensuring Antrim didn't qualify for the competition would have been. His inconsistencies in terms of squad selection also rankle.

No Tyrone hatred (on this occasion) - it is possible to make a point objectively without allowing perceived bias to come into it.  Tyrone is a lovely place and the Mountains of Pomeroy is a nice song.

billy the kid

Well Men Time to make a few Predictions!!!

Who do Yous think will win the big games at the weekend.

Glenullin V St Galls     Glenullin

Dromore V Cross       Dromore

Newbridge V Dunloy  Newbridge

Im gonna go for Glenullin in the first game. Firstly because i just feel that the more open football St galls play will suit Glenullin as will the open spaces in Omagh, although that may also suit St Galls. I think that they will have to be at their best and be more efficent with their shooting to overcome what is gonna be a formidable challenge but Glenullin seem to have a certain momentum and resilience about them now.  Also im a Derry man and i never said i wasnt biased.

I fany Dromore to beat Cross as they look a realy good side and if Colm Mc cullagh plays they will have 3 very effective outlets for scores up front with the two corner forward looking very good the last day. ive seen Cross a couple of times this year and havent eally been that impressed with them. Although it has to be said they have an uncanny knack of playing just well enough to win the game. Donnaldson will be a huge loss to them, I know they have a strong panel but they dont have someone as strong and as experienced on the bench.

In the intermediates i fancy Newbridge and the reason is they weresimplyt awesom against Whitecross a Div 1 Armagh out fit (although since relegated) and Dermott dougan is putting in some fine performances of both score taking and play making.  its like a blast from the past when he was doing the same for Derry in the No. 11.  However i have to admit i havent seen Dunloy in any shape or form. How do you Saffron boys rate Dunloy
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Balboa

Do we have to go through the threads author to change the title to "Club Energise - Mc Gourty Thread" ?

OUR BOY

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 14, 2007, 08:40:03 AM
Quote from: hardstation on November 13, 2007, 02:13:52 PM
Kevin would make the Derry team alright. He should be on the Antrim team but it wouldn't be Antrim unless there was some sort of infighting to feck their chances up.
You're awful cynical about Jody, SS2. That aul Tyrone hatred coming out on you?

Been cynical about young Gormley for years. Ever since his appointment as Antrim senior trainer, at a time when he would have worked with the then Antrim county board chairman (I introduced the word inveigled to the board at that stage), through his subsequent departure to become Down senior trainer, through his appearance along the line as Down under-21s progressed to an All-Ireland final, through him jumping ship when it was becoming increasing clear that Paddy O'Rourke was going to be replaced.

And then there's his record as Antrim manager, a worse league record than even Mickey Culbert managed and a totally inept championship defeat. Reaching the Tommy Murphy Cup final wasn't an achievement; ensuring Antrim didn't qualify for the competition would have been. His inconsistencies in terms of squad selection also rankle.

No Tyrone hatred (on this occasion) - it is possible to make a point objectively without allowing perceived bias to come into it.  Tyrone is a lovely place and the Mountains of Pomeroy is a nice song.
SS2 on one thread you talk about not mentioning Jody,Antrim and long term planning in same sentence and now your ridiculing him for his first years results.What do you expect- should he have a magic wand. I  would say he has made the first big step by laying the law down the law to Kevin and sticking to his principles (is it a coincidence that this panel stuck together for the full year and there was no dirty linen being washed in public unlike previous years). Generally players are'nt stupid and will see what they can get away with and Jody stood up to this test. If he was only interested in the short term he would have fielded his 15 most talented players however Antrim would have been no further forward. I can only imagine there is a sizeable number of the panel delighted that at long last someone decided that Kevin wasn't the boss and players will throw their weight behind a manager who is big enough to do this.
PS dont deny the Tyrone hatred - you should be proud of it ;D ;D

milltown row

very diffiicult to leave aidso out but a great sub to bring on, burnsy has been hauled off lately and this could be his last campaign, three mc gourty's on the one team!!!!!!!!!! they'll not pass the ball to anybody else.

i'm sure Duffin and his right hand man have done their work on this Derry team. the team has been well drilled over the years and no matter who has come in the stlye of play has been the same, hard work.

i hope our posters here will be making their way down to Omagh this sunday. another Ulster final could be on it's way here for an Antrim team.

maxpower

was hoping to take in the St Galls match myself but with our boys being out at Casement i'll have to give it a miss.  With the early throw in i might even make it home in time to watch the second half of the Birr/Ballyhale match
What happens next????

imtommygunn

Any word of the Galls team for Sunday??

CJ McGourty fit and available??

Aidso Gallagher might not make the team - interesting as he is on the county team a lot!

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on November 15, 2007, 02:08:18 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 13, 2007, 08:51:10 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 13, 2007, 05:06:16 PM
Any team news from the Bog Meadows?

Looks like same team up to midfield, forward line will be 6 from McGourty x 3, O'Neill, Niblock, Gallagher, Stewart & Burns.  Could be Gaga and Burns to miss out. Probably O'Neill, Niblock, Kevin McGourty, Stewarty, Kieran McGourty, CJ.
I would trust SS2. He seems to be the man in the know.

Team not finalised allegedly, but most likely will be the six forwards I mentioned. Might even play Kelly on Paddy B, and McLean at centre half.