Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 25, 2019, 09:01:11 AM
Quote from: bannside on September 24, 2019, 04:22:26 PM
Theres different ways to look at this I think and maybe theres no right or wrong answer. I never once went looking for a club job but invitations and offers came and you decide at the time what your response would be. I did 5 years in Derry with various clubs and if i had wanted probably could still be doing " the circuit". But thats what it is, and ultimately you become a mercenary and either do it for the money or are percieved to be doing it for the money. In any event, i dont think anyone in the association has proper credit until they at the very least do a reasonable voluntary stint within your own club. Kevin may still do that sometime in the future, who knows, hes still young enough.

Teams I've managed have done well enough...lost a couple of county senior finals....but my biggest thrill was winning a reserve plate and then a reserve championship with Portglenone, a few of my sons and their mates all coming through together, and seeing them progress into the seniors gives you some feeling of acomplishment that would be hard to replicate with an outside club.

couldnt agree more BS.

Ive seen Feile winning teams with the club and the lads got all the way to the All Ireland Final that year. I now see these kids pulling on the senior shirt in this weekends County Final and i couldnt be more happy for them all. youve seen them progress from a child to a man and representing the club at the top level.

I seen our Junior Camogiers win a shield. its the competition no one wants to be in or win but these girls won it 6 years ago and celebrated it like a championship. why? because they had never won anything in their career up to that point.

its that sort of pride you dont get without being paid for it. its seeing progression in the youth to senior level.

In a nutshell, thats it. Good man

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on September 25, 2019, 09:34:59 AM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2019, 08:42:52 PM
Quote from: Spike on September 24, 2019, 08:14:57 PM
I hate to point out the obvious but you cant verbally attack someone while being a gutless keyboard warrior. 2 different mediums you see Milltown.  That is your name isnt it? Milltown. Unusual surname though - french?    Just pulling your leg big guy.

Anywho,   Any chance you could get back on trend with some Antrim football topics rather than fill these pages with commentary of  your concern for my wellbeing and diminishing mental health?

Refereeing performances of the 2 semi finals? Favourites to win championship? What went wrong with st galls?

As I said before unfair to discuss from my perspective on club championship games. I'll take up questions after the under 21 championship.

We can discuss then.

Milltown why would you be getting involved at all on any discussion, everyone knows who you are and surely you are not making your job in the middle of the field any easier?? Very naive of you to start picking fights on here when you and your colleagues are easy picking for criticism, seems like an ego trip to me, maybe it is true that some refs only ref to hog the spotlight................just a thought

Easy pickings? ego trip? Honestly listen to yourself, me discussing anything on here won't change peoples views on refereeing or referees. I've never had a view that someone suddenly stops playing and takes up refereeing to get abuse from the crowd, online trolls or players and management to have a ego trip or hog the limelight! And if they do then its very strange.. There is certainly no fun in listening to grown men hurl abuse from behind the wire. the Ref is un biased, regardless of what I've heard recently on here, and if his judgement is wrong or makes a mistake, hey then he's human also, he'll finish that game and think about just like a player/supporter and manager, could he have been better..

We don't have enough ref's and would love more ex players to get involved, to keep ref's involved it has to be a recgonised that they leave becaause they get abuse and can't be bothered with it, but some obviously stay on cause they like getting that abuse :-\ (shakes head)

As a players suppoter, manager and ref I still would be at odds with some calls made in games, as we all have view on it, when the whistle goes and he gives his reasons then step away and accept it..

I can't change views on this and don't intend to, I'd hope to stay on and continue to be involved in refereeing, as for must parts its a great way to watch our sports, but if I feel that its getting to a point that its not worth the effort then someone else on here could make a contribution to refereeing.

On another note, refereeing a kids under 10 tournament and a senior final is no different to the man in the middle TBH..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2019, 11:13:21 AM

I hate to point out the obvious but you cant verbally attack someone while being a gutless keyboard warrior. 2 different mediums you see Milltown.  That is your name isnt it? Milltown. Unusual surname though - french?    Just pulling your leg big guy.

Anywho,   Any chance you could get back on trend with some Antrim football topics rather than fill these pages with commentary of  your concern for my wellbeing and diminishing mental health?

Refereeing performances of the 2 semi finals? Favourites to win championship? What went wrong with st galls?

As I said before unfair to discuss from my perspective on club championship games. I'll take up questions after the under 21 championship.

We can discuss then.

Milltown why would you be getting involved at all on any discussion, everyone knows who you are and surely you are not making your job in the middle of the field any easier?? Very naive of you to start picking fights on here when you and your colleagues are easy picking for criticism, seems like an ego trip to me, maybe it is true that some refs only ref to hog the spotlight................just a thought

Easy pickings? ego trip? Honestly listen to yourself, me discussing anything on here won't change peoples views on refereeing or referees. I've never had a view that someone suddenly stops playing and takes up refereeing to get abuse from the crowd, online trolls or players and management to have a ego trip or hog the limelight! And if they do then its very strange.. There is certainly no fun in listening to grown men hurl abuse from behind the wire. the Ref is un biased, regardless of what I've heard recently on here, and if his judgement is wrong or makes a mistake, hey then he's human also, he'll finish that game and think about just like a player/supporter and manager, could he have been better..

We don't have enough ref's and would love more ex players to get involved, to keep ref's involved it has to be a recgonised that they leave becaause they get abuse and can't be bothered with it, but some obviously stay on cause they like getting that abuse :-\ (shakes head)

As a players suppoter, manager and ref I still would be at odds with some calls made in games, as we all have view on it, when the whistle goes and he gives his reasons then step away and accept it..

I can't change views on this and don't intend to, I'd hope to stay on and continue to be involved in refereeing, as for must parts its a great way to watch our sports, but if I feel that its getting to a point that its not worth the effort then someone else on here could make a contribution to refereeing.

On another note, refereeing a kids under 10 tournament and a senior final is no different to the man in the middle TBH..

You seem to be missing my point, I did not suggest that you took up refereeing because you like getting abuse (but hey who knows what floats your boat), what I was saying is that you are naive to come on here and start picking fights with other contributors from other clubs. As you will be aware it does not take a lot for a ref to be accused of being biased and you getting involved in arguments with other clubs members on here may come back to bite you on the back side as it is clear that everyone knows who you are.

For me you are probably one of the most physically fit refs in the county but your rise through to county semi finals seems to be amazing in such a short space of time.................keep up the good work and keep carrying the right guy's kit bag :o :o

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on September 25, 2019, 11:23:02 AM

We can discuss then.

You seem to be missing my point, I did not suggest that you took up refereeing because you like getting abuse (but hey who knows what floats your boat), what I was saying is that you are naive to come on here and start picking fights with other contributors from other clubs. As you will be aware it does not take a lot for a ref to be accused of being biased and you getting involved in arguments with other clubs members on here may come back to bite you on the back side as it is clear that everyone knows who you are.

For me you are probably one of the most physically fit refs in the county but your rise through to county semi finals seems to be amazing in such a short space of time.................keep up the good work and keep carrying the right guy's kit bag :o :o

Rise quickly lol.. Ive been refereeing over 11 years
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2019, 11:24:28 AM

We can discuss then.

Forgive me, relatively quick rise over the last few years in the quality of game you are getting

Again, however I note that you have failed to deal with the main point of my post, but hey you keep picking you easy points to score off.

BTW I am a big fan of refs as my dad is one (albeit coming to the end of his time at it), my point was why expose yourself on here as people will have enough of a stick to beat you with be they fair or not

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on September 25, 2019, 11:50:52 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2019, 11:24:28 AM

We can discuss then.

Forgive me, relatively quick rise over the last few years in the quality of game you are getting

Again, however I note that you have failed to deal with the main point of my post, but hey you keep picking you easy points to score off.

BTW I am a big fan of refs as my dad is one (albeit coming to the end of his time at it), my point was why expose yourself on here as people will have enough of a stick to beat you with be they fair or not

Coming on here and exposing myself (oh matron) as you put it to get more abuse is not the reason, other people on this site in the past highlighted who I am, I didn't so hopefully that clears that up. I'm not worried too much tbh as how I conduct myself outside of this fourm is not what you read. My banter to other clubs is just that, anyone reading to much into that is very easily lead.

CornerBackNo2

For what it's worth - and this would be a viewpoint of many in my own club - MR2 is one of the top guys with the whistle in Antrim in both codes. Communicates well with the players and is very fair.

bogieman

good man, there needs to be more positivity towards the referees, the good ones anyways

the club should take the responsibility to sort out the gabshites, they know who they are...

mr2, i get a bit bored with the personal attacks after a while
don't bite, but if you must, and go past two 1to1 posts, move it to another thread, I'll start one as you as the most recent common denominator - and that is not an accusation of wrongdoing

pps it's not hard to work out the click; remove the ulster ones, well the sw ones, and as well as the refs, look at the linesmen...

ps2 don't forget big .- -. - ---

This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Calm Down

I have no problem with MR2 at all, I was trying to proffer him a little support and discourage him from bringing any further criticism his way but alas he appears to not wish to accept such rational advice

Good luck MR2 with the rest of the season and I hope that in the future you can separate advice from criticism

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on September 25, 2019, 09:02:35 PM
I have no problem with MR2 at all, I was trying to proffer him a little support and discourage him from bringing any further criticism his way but alas he appears to not wish to accept such rational advice

Good luck MR2 with the rest of the season and I hope that in the future you can separate advice from criticism

You're 'advice' from your first 2 posts you put up were directed towards a ref. Advice or not it seems your rational on advice is a bit skewed  ;)

Calm Down

Apologies if an observation was not welcomed, I didn't think I would have to be a referee to point out something which I thought was pretty obvious

Anyway as I said good luck this weekend and I hope you do my club a favour this weekend

bogieman

give yourselve the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent...  ;)
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

whatwillbwillb

MR2 you mentioned that the county presently doesn't have enough Refs, where did Hassan, Elliott Kelly, Duffy and I'm sure there are others go within Antrim? Most of the lads are still refereeing in other counties at the minute as I have watched games in Derry & Down and University Games where those lads are still in the middle, still fit and going well from what I've seen?  Elliott referred the Derry Senior championship last week!  Why are they not refn in Antrim anymore ? 

whatwillbwillb

Bannside great to see the club organising the Tournament in memory of Paul Mc Keever, what a fantastic pic in todays Irish News (Online) of him,  the one with the cubs around him celebrating, reminds all of us I'm sure of days like those we all had and experienced, GAA in its purest and unspoilt form. Congrats   

JimStynes

Is bannside not a ballymena man? Only a blow in to Portglenone  ;)
Or am I confusing him with someone else??

Great to see a tournament dedicated to Paul McKeever. Absolutely tragic times for the family and club and hopefully this is an annual event and gives them something to keep his name alive for many years to come.