Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balboa

Quote from: ONeill on November 05, 2007, 09:06:15 PM
St Galls are as good as any club side in Ireland on their day. As I said on the Ulster thread, their first half performance was as good as any i've seen from a club side at this level. Who were the last side to beat them at Ulster Club level? Must've been in 2004.

Why have they never won an All Ireland Club title then?

Gold

Quote from: Balboa on November 05, 2007, 09:16:22 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 05, 2007, 09:06:15 PM
St Galls are as good as any club side in Ireland on their day. As I said on the Ulster thread, their first half performance was as good as any i've seen from a club side at this level. Who were the last side to beat them at Ulster Club level? Must've been in 2004.

Why have they never won an All Ireland Club title then?

because they were shite in a windswirled croke park last year

and because so mush of it comes down to luck--its so tight at that level--i remember big Muldoon struck for a goal in Casement in 01 when Galls looked certain to beat Ballinderry who went on to win the all-ireland
the year after they were about 6 up in enniskillen until Tom Brew couldnt miss and kicked about 7 in a row
after losing ulster final to An Lub the next year Carrickmore "out-foxed" them by the odd point in a 1/4 final replay before they won ulster and slipped up v cargin

Its tight as a ducks arse usually in Ulster--Glenullin could very well do a Loup and win the whole thing, one slip or wonder score may make the difference- no matter how could a team is one hoof up in the air or individual mistake can cost a team a year or a career
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gold

Quote from: glenullinabu on November 05, 2007, 08:14:42 PM
Quote from: Gold on November 04, 2007, 11:13:50 PM

Will be interesting to see how they cope with the Bradleys but i cant imagine Glenullin will have much more than those 2 in the forwards.

On another note if Antrim plays enough of those Gall's boys Antrim should have too much for Cavan in Casement next spring--im confident of that and its not often you can say that

Gold we are only going to the semi for the day out - at least we'll be able to say we'll have been beaten by the eventual ulster champions ::)

Hope u enjoy your day, make sure and get a feed in Goodfellas on Kennedy Way-hope u like flat Coke!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Maximus Marillius

I  was really surprided to see CJ Mc Gourty line out with St Marys last night agianst the Poly in the Ryan Cup. He did not start the St Galls game with a reported groin injury, yet two days later turns out for St Marys. Surely IF he has had an injury this could not of helped, unless he was dropped at the weekend for his poor showming in their county final and the PR spin was the groin injury. Looks like all is not well in the St Galls camp. They are certainly not all singing from the hymn sheet as their manager who has repeatedly stated how committed and hungry this group of St Galls players are....the evidence does not back this up.

imtommygunn

Not at the game on Sunday then Max?  ;)

milltown row

max CJ is injured college football this time of the year is less demanding than Ulster club. i think duffin wanted to win the match without having to use players who others believe we wont win unless they play.

we got to an all ireland final without CJ playing, same group of players still playing bar Mc Girr

he came on last night and scored 1.5 what will be like when he starts against glenullin? who will be marking him Max? i wouldn't think they will double team him, seeing they are a quality team that beat all the best teams in Derry

glens73

The Irish News are always making mistakes, this should be an interesting game

Sunday November 11
Reserve Football Competition (2.30pm):
Cargin 2 v Cargin 2 (S O'Boyle);
(2.30pm): St Paul's 2 v St Gall's 2
(B Toland); Maneely McCann Div 1
Football (2.30): Dunloy v Creggan;
Maneely McCann Div 3 Football
(2.30pm): Aldergrove v St John's
(S Conlon); Maneely McCann Division 1
Hurling (2.30): Sarsfield's v Lamh
Dhearg (R Matthew's); Rossa v
Ballygalget (F Trayno

imtommygunn

It's cargin 2nds against cargin 3rds.

Max St Galls blew Cavan Gaels away on Sunday. If all was not well then I don't see how they'd have done that...

Maximus Marillius

Ok....but I just find it incredible that one of your main scoring threats is playing in a mickey mouse college match whenever your club is playing in an infinitely much bigger game 11 days later. It would not happen here...and if it did, well lets just say the individual might be better moving puit of our community for a few months. Maybe there is nothing wrong with it either, perhaps its the difference between country club and a city club...who knows....but I AM GENUINELY SHOCKED IT HAPPENED. The fact that he played without doubt contradicts what there manager has been saying about how committed and hungry his group of players are....well the evidnece suggests one of them is not fully committed to St Galls

imtommygunn

He's young and if he came on Sunday then he was obviously near enough to fitness anyway so not sure it's such a big deal. I would imagine Duffin would have been consulted before he played and it could have been for match sharpness but who knows.

By all accounts St Galls had as high a work-rate as you would see on Sunday past so I doubt you can question their hunger.

If he has "broke ranks" you will hear about it no doubt but I'd be surprised.

SHOCKED - maybe a wee bit stong of a word...

Maximus Marillius

If the manager Oked it, it was major risk to take. I did not question the St Galls teams hunger, that is evident from so much success, but if CJ played without the managers OK, it begs big questions. But for me the bottom line is that it would not happen here, and ye can be sure that it would not happen in Cross either, club comes first every time

imtommygunn

Excellent point about Bradley Hardstation...

Sure Max is always on the wind up.

It's close season where he's from so he has to get involved about other teams ;)

Maximus Marillius

I mean Bellaghy...explaining why Big Fergal Doc did not make himself available for Ulster....but apart from that would you not concede that playing in a railway cup final for Ulster certain knocks the shit out of a ryan cup cup match for St Marys.

By the way I could not understand bradley doing that either.

Maximus Marillius

QuoteI mean Bellaghy...explaining why Big Fergal Doc did not make himself available for Ulster
I don't see the relevance of this.
[/quote]

the relevance is that it demostrates the selflessness of his attitde compared to the others we mentioned