Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 17, 2017, 11:04:17 AM
I was involved in managing development squads for a good few years and nothing bugged me more than the wee brat who would be constantly saying "Mister when are we going to get our gear?"

I used to say if that's the reason you're here you'd better off going back home again. You're here to serve your county....not the other way round!
Think perhaps youR sentiments as expresses should extend to those within the Vision BS....

bannside

What you usually found PJ was that it wasn't the better quality player who was looking for the gear.  It was usually a player on the very fringes of the squad who knew the squad was getting cut and wanted his gear before that happened. Funny enough you never really came across these players a few years later. They didn't stick at it. In fact in some cases players stuck it out just long enough to get their gear and made off never to be seen again.

If the gear was their main incentive they were talking to the wrong person. In my book those things were bonuses that needed to be earned.

Sandwiches do seem a bit petty but then again who the hell  would want our county treasurers job with so many other escalating costs outside his control like an extra £50k for GPA led player endorsements.

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on March 17, 2017, 12:25:14 PM
What you usually found PJ was that it wasn't the better quality player who was looking for the gear.  It was usually a player on the very fringes of the squad who knew the squad was getting cut and wanted his gear before that happened. Funny enough you never really came across these players a few years later. They didn't stick at it. In fact in some cases players stuck it out just long enough to get their gear and made off never to be seen again.

If the gear was their main incentive they were talking to the wrong person. In my book those things were bonuses that needed to be earned.

Sandwiches do seem a bit petty but then again who the hell  would want our county treasurers job with so many other escalating costs outside his control like an extra £50k for GPA led player endorsements.

I never mentioned gear BS, I agree with what you're saying. Those "brats" who maybe went home and complained about food could be the best players in the squad.

Maybe if money is so tight within the county then the county finals will be in the best possible place this season to maximise revenue.

Milltown Row2

Jesus there are some gurny cnuts!! Bannside spot on, free lunch and gear brigade can do one! Put the effort in for your county and you'll get plenty rewards
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

So much for the well being of  our young dev players . You obviousily are all fully aware of their financial situations at home.
It's always a good idea to play an intercounty match on.bananas and jaffa cakes... match winner every day !

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2017, 05:16:19 PM
Jesus there are some gurny cnuts!! Bannside spot on, free lunch and gear brigade can do one! Put the effort in for your county and you'll get plenty rewards

Not the language I expect from a county ref. Have some manners Dazza.

country bumpkin

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM

Certainly not...surprised at Bannside.....but I forget he does stand beside the Visionaries.... ???

bannside

No need to get personal CB. I did make it clear that I was a supporter of change and liked a lot about a new and fresh regime. And you know what. They need a bit of support because they are trying to effect change for the better. Paul Mc Cann mightnt want to sign off on sandwiches or a breakfast or two but he is our only hope of reducing the defecit we have between income and expenditure and it would be a bad day if he walked because he was surrounded by so much negativity.  It's an almost impossible job and he clearly dosent need the hassle of it all but he is there for the right reasons solely to try to turn the finances around.

It's a lot harder than sniping here behind a keyboard.

bannside

My definition of a "brat" is someone who was put forward by their club as county standard, often a mile off the level and realising this wanted to know (often quite bullushly) when is the gear coming mister and what are we for getting...and the minute a few tee shirts and stuff arrives they can't be seen for dust. That's all. Never known any of these to be "our future" PJ.

country bumpkin

Do not know the man at all BS but think you are careering off on a tangent.
This issue was raised at last county committee meeting by club delegates concerning two away trips involving our seniors and the u-17 dev squad
Concern was raised by concerned club reps as to why our county footballers, yes OUR county footballers were denied a light meal before a NFL game away to Louth unless they paid for it themselves.......fair enough you suggest but take on board the fact that those lads who were representing Antrim had been on the road since morning (as you are no doubt well aware), and perhaps more than a few had only a light or indeed no breakfast and you would suggest they should wait until late evening to have a meal.
As to our under-17 squad, again those lads/16 or 17 year old kids had also been on the road since early morning......did they have a breakfast prior to leaving home ? I suggest some did not.
The 17 game was fixed for a start time of 1.30 pm, and the 'meal' which would be prepared by the host club Loughmacrory would follow after the minor game scheduled for 3.30......and you would agree that they should not have been given anything prior was correct....the cost of £3 a head was a trifle exorbitant.
BS it is my humble opinion that the members of Cargin players from nursery squad to our senior panel are the future and they are treated accordingly..........tell u what all those on our County Ex could stand about for as long as they please on Corrigan Park, O' Cahan Park, Milltown Row, Toome or any other ground in Antrim and not a single soul will part with their money to watch.....

Milltown Row2

You've seen the problem in Africa lately? Kids are dying cause there is no food or clean water, if our lads can't get a hearty breakfast in them or have a sarnie made before they leave the house then they need a good slap!!

That's the problem with kids nowadays!! Expect everything for free
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM

I'm not a county ref, a club ref. Numpty

Hectic

Yeah I tend to agree with those who say bring a sandwich. Back in the day the only reward was your jersey if you got sneaked out quick enough after being knocked out of the Championship and even at that it was done knowing that it was not quite right. Sense of entitlement these days is shocking, only thing worse is those pandering to them. Certainly if money was no object it would be different but this is not the case.

country bumpkin

God help Antrim if indeed those sentiments as expressed by Hectic are shared by many in our beleagured county..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on March 18, 2017, 01:58:48 PM
God help Antrim if indeed those sentiments as expressed by Hectic are shared by many in our beleagured county..

Instead of talking shite, tell me how you think Antrim can afford to run all the development teams at all ages plus our senior teams to the standard you think it should be...