Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

I spoke at length to some Monaghan people who couldn't belive the fright they got tonight. In their words Monaghan were prepared to the hilt and had been going strong since September. Not only are they reigning U 21 champions but won this year's Hastings cup (warm up tournament) and had an impeccable build up to tonight's game.

We matched them for long periods but as Brendan said ran out of steam a bit about fifteen out.

Their were plenty of Antrim officials at the match who must surely have gone home wondering what may have happened if we had matched even 50% of Monaghan preparation.

Fair play to the lads for throwing the kitchen sink at it. You really did us proud at times tonight.

Galer

Good performance from u21 s but a defeat is still a defeat.if team had prepared themselves or been properly prepared might have created a glorious victory and there is nothing this county needs more than a lift

country bumpkin

Quote from: Galer on March 08, 2017, 11:49:11 PM
Good performance from u21 s but a defeat is still a defeat.if team had prepared themselves or been properly prepared might have created a glorious victory and there is nothing this county needs more than a lift
Surely we did have Vision  😐

Na Glinntí Glasa

the vision is getting more and more blurry with each passing month.
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

Nothing blurry about what I witnessed last night at the Dub. We have enough quality in the ranks aged 17 -22 for the county to invest properly in.

Monaghan only beat us last night because their preparations were vastly superior. Not because they had better footballers.

No one can tell me that with a bit of proper foresight and energy to make right, Antrim couldn't be playing division two in three or four years.

Points a Good Score

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night and while some great performances and serious talent on show I came away somewhat disappointed that we didn't get something out of the game.

Some great individual and team scores but Monaghan scored with worrying ease at times, and when they pushed a man up in the second half we looked slightly devoid of ideas in terms of getting the ball from kickouts and building attacks. All in all though positive that there certainly is a raft of talent coming through.

Hectic

Who showed up well for Antrim?

bannside

Seamus Mc Garry Aldergrove was outstanding. Paddy Mc Cormick Moneyglass likewise. Peter Healy still continues to impress. Those three the pick for me. On current form I would expect all three to be in contention for senior duty.

BrendanAntrim

Apologies - I dont know the players to see and don't programme. Our #2 was very good,made a couple of great breakouts from defence. Ruairi Scott was strong, I know he is already in the senior squad and yes, Seamus McGarry was class.

Points a Good Score

#2 was Pat Brannigan from Aghagallon and he did indeed have a good game, I was disappointed in Ruairi Scott thought he was well below the standards we have seen from him before, not a criticism just think on the night he was poor.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 09, 2017, 09:18:07 AM
Nothing blurry about what I witnessed last night at the Dub. We have enough quality in the ranks aged 17 -22 for the county to invest properly in.

Monaghan only beat us last night because their preparations were vastly superior. Not because they had better footballers.

No one can tell me that with a bit of proper foresight and energy to make right, Antrim couldn't be playing division two in three or four years.
And as u already stated BS.....no preparation at all for a championship game.??

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on March 09, 2017, 09:18:07 AM

So what do you suggest BS? How do we turn these lads into a team that compete in Div2?

bannside

What did Monaghan do a few years ago before they were even contemplating winning Ulster finals? They set out their stall and went for the best manager in the business. Who in turn brought in an exceptional backroom team. The business community saw what was happening and got behind it financially. The players bought into it wholeheartedly. Their was enormous pride in the Jersey and competition for places was at a premium.

They win 2 Ulster senior titles and two U21 titles in the space of a few years. The county is now football crazy and this in turn is already feeding the next generation.

I believe strongly that we have the players to invest in. But the county (from top down) needs to wake up and see this potential and grasp the nettle before another generation passes through the revolving door of Div3/Div4 football.

BrendanAntrim

Agree with that. And we d have a good crop right now I feel. Our minors have won first round Ulster matches fairly regularly recently but lost out in later stages. I missed last years Sunday night game v Donegal at Corrigan but by all reports we matched them. The development squads have had good results too.

A sidenote - isn't the Dub a brilliant venue for football? Only two years ago we drew in Armagh at U21 and the UC specifically ruled out the Dub as a venue for the replay, and our reward for the draw was a home game played at Newry. Something has changed in the meantime. So how about our Nat League matches at the Dub? I think our players would love that and the comfortable surroundings would help draw decent crowds.

All said with respect to Naomh Eoin who pull out all the stops for hosting games, but it is not a pleasant fan experience in the cold and wind.

country bumpkin

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 09, 2017, 09:32:23 PM
Agree with that. And we d have a good crop right now I feel. Our minors have won first round Ulster matches fairly regularly recently but lost out in later stages. I missed last years Sunday night game v Donegal at Corrigan but by all reports we matched them. The development squads have had good results too.

A sidenote - isn't the Dub a brilliant venue for football? Only two years ago we drew in Armagh at U21 and the UC specifically ruled out the Dub as a venue for the replay, and our reward for the draw was a home game played at Newry. Something has changed in the meantime. So how about our Nat League matches at the Dub? I think our players would love that and the comfortable surroundings would help draw decent crowds.

All said with respect to Naomh Eoin who pull out all the stops for hosting games, but it is not a pleasant fan experience in the cold and wind.
A big crowd at the Dub............. ???