Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Trial and picked by people on the Ulster council... anyways you are getting away from the point on MacRory cup football within Antrim.... not once have we won it with that group of lads, I'm more well aware of what that group won... c and Mclaron cup wins are fine and dandy but we won't compete at the top table until we have have a plan put in place that matches the rest of the Ulster schools
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2017, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2017, 09:55:24 PM
University football.

Ah, as the posts were about school football, but yeah we'd a few lads at college that done well, including one winning it...

I get that. I am just saying you guys did also benefit from coaching outside of antrim.

Belfast schools suffer a bit with the dual thing. St marys were in the macrory for a few years not that long ago.

Leyland

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2017, 08:28:54 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2017, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2017, 09:55:24 PM
University football.

Ah, as the posts were about school football, but yeah we'd a few lads at college that done well, including one winning it...

I get that. I am just saying you guys did also benefit from coaching outside of antrim.

Belfast schools suffer a bit with the dual thing. St marys were in the macrory for a few years not that long ago.

Belfast schools suffer a bit from dual thing? Then can you explain Magheras success over the years???

Unfortunately we love excuses in our county

imtommygunn

Much bigger catchment area.South derry plus some of north derry plus areas in sw antrim.

Maybe it is an excuse as i don't know enough about the schools in belfast. Always thought one or two should be competing in macrory.

Actually to be fair not jut hurling is in competition - some of the schools big in soccer too. Does maghera even have a soccer team??

country bumpkin

Jeez hard to wear that one ITG.....bigger catchment area...jeez Belfast has over 600k residents, nearly triple that if County Derry.
Those three 'succcessful' schools/colleges, Maghera, St Mary's and Pius are based in small towns with the latter duo in the same town.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on March 04, 2017, 06:49:48 PM
Jeez hard to wear that one ITG.....bigger catchment area...jeez Belfast has over 600k residents, nearly triple that if County Derry.
Those three 'succcessful' schools/colleges, Maghera, St Mary's and Pius are based in small towns with the latter duo in the same town.

Just in case you didn't read the previous posts I'll explain it one more time.... Belfast schools don't invest in football at that level! You now understand that?

Having one or two players playing for MacRory cup teams in Derry has not (again has not) helped Antrim football or clubs being competitive! You agree?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

I've said it before and I will say it again. It is vital that we try to focus heavy on Gaelic games in our schools.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2017, 12:34:35 AM

Just in case you didn't read the previous posts I'll explain it one more time.... Belfast schools don't invest in football at that level! You now understand that?

Having one or two players playing for MacRory cup teams in Derry has not (again has not) helped Antrim football or clubs being competitive! You agree?

Belfast dragging the county standard down again... ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 05, 2017, 06:27:49 PM

Belfast dragging the county standard down again... ;)

They are as good as those SW schools  ;D

Kickham csc

I'd say Cargin has been helped greatly by Derry schools. Cargin teams in the 90's were backboned with Kelly, Lynns, O'Neils, Johnson, Quinn, McPeak, McCanns, who were schooled in the Derry. Likewise more recently with Tomas and Mike McCann, Close, Crozer, O'Boyle

Creggan have more recently benefited from the Convent and Maghera, and has helped with their development from Div 2 to strong Div 1 team

bannside

Antrim had a good rattle at Louth yesterday and as expected we held our own for most of the game. If the truth was told we missed more than them, including a few decent goal chances that at least we were making.

Ryan Murray was a big loss when he went off after 15 mins although Sean Pat more the held his own when introduced. An exciting talent. Paddy Mc Aleer is growing with every game and Peter Healy can expect from to wear Saffron for the considerable future.

You never like losing...but if Louth gain promotion to div 2, I really don't think we are as far behind them as you think. Yesterday could have gone either way!

Hectic

Sarsfields and Glenravel quick out of the blocks yesterday in Div 3.  I thought one of them might have been caught cold being early doors but already looking like they are going to be a cut above the rest.

Hectic

Should have added as well a good solid start for Pearses who I know are at club that feel they have been progressing nicely and are looking to continue along the same upward curve - an old club with a decent history.

Stillwater2

Sarsfields were on after our game yesterday, they looked strong and fit. Some of there lads on the line were saying they had a few missing also, county hurlers etc.

themac_23

Quote from: Hectic on March 06, 2017, 11:14:07 AM
Sarsfields and Glenravel quick out of the blocks yesterday in Div 3.  I thought one of them might have been caught cold being early doors but already looking like they are going to be a cut above the rest.

You could well be right Hectic, but i think after 1 game its a bit premature to say that, suppose we will find out in next 5-6 weeks how things will shape up.