Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on January 19, 2017, 10:40:25 AM
I have no idea what the individual's membership of Casement Social Club has to do with it. Are all members of the club now to have nothing to do with Antrim GAA? Is it a prerequisite of being on our county executive that you had to be a supporter of any plan or idea that the Ulster Council had for Casement Park?

There are a handful of bitter individuals who hold personal grudges against members of Casement Social Club, mainly because they ended up embarrassed and had to step back with their tails between their legs following a completely deluded & unlawful power trip ended badly. Perhaps one of them has your ear.

No ear bending here pal.

I just want a county team and a county set up that I can be proud of. Are you happy seeing the county in a negative light across the Irish News?

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on January 19, 2017, 10:56:55 AM
Absolutely not and as a county, we have a hell of a lot of work to do.

Agree 100%.. but how can we as a county move on when everything is a negative both on and off the pitch? I hold my hands up and admit some of my posts are negative but I'm calling things as I see them and that at the minute is an embarrassment. Not scoring for a half of football? Shocking.

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 19, 2017, 11:09:13 AM

Agree 100%.. but how can we as a county move on when everything is a negative both on and off the pitch? I hold my hands up and admit some of my posts are negative but I'm calling things as I see them and that at the minute is an embarrassment. Not scoring for a half of football? Shocking.

Yeah it is pure pish and shows how far off we are but nothing has really changed in the 40 odd years I have been following Antrim GAA - same old shite, good footballers in the county but no county team, inferiority complex passed down through the generations, open door policies at training, underage face fit policy and so it goes on and on and on and on.  Radical change needs to be implemented and the only hope we have is to start at the very bottom.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on January 19, 2017, 02:10:19 PM

Yeah it is pure pish and shows how far off we are but nothing has really changed in the 40 odd years I have been following Antrim GAA - same old shite, good footballers in the county but no county team, inferiority complex passed down through the generations, open door policies at training, underage face fit policy and so it goes on and on and on and on.  Radical change needs to be implemented and the only hope we have is to start at the very bottom.

It's impossible to argue with any word of that to be honest. Some people in our county want to take what they can from the GAA and others want to give what they can to GAA. 

Don't speak out of turn against the county, you'll be accused of being a slabber.

Milltown Row2

Glad you admitted that, now be positive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 19, 2017, 08:50:38 PM

F
Glad you admitted that, now be positive

Feck aff you..

bannside

A very bad few days getting tanked by well oiled machines Monaghan and Fermanagh who under MOR and Pete Mc Grath have developed an culture where players are intensely proud to represent their county. I know it's "only" the Mc Kenna cup but pride is pride and whilst other counties make a genuine attempt to win the competition, we trot out the line we are using the competition to try out a few youngsters.

The real event starts in a few weeks and Antrim supporters expect us to be very competitive in all our division 3 games and avoid relegation. Do that and the year will be deemed a success. But anything less than that will be called for what it is. Let's hope it's the former!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on January 19, 2017, 10:28:43 PM
A very bad few days getting tanked by well oiled machines Monaghan and Fermanagh who under MOR and Pete Mc Grath have developed an culture where players are intensely proud to represent their county. I know it's "only" the Mc Kenna cup but pride is pride and whilst other counties make a genuine attempt to win the competition, we trot out the line we are using the competition to try out a few youngsters.

The real event starts in a few weeks and Antrim supporters expect us to be very competitive in all our division 3 games and avoid relegation. Do that and the year will be deemed a success. But anything less than that will be called for what it is. Let's hope it's the former!

How can we change the lack of, physically, tactics, cuteness, heart, pride and serious lack of confidence that follows us like a bad smell?? There have been a few periods over the years that we slumped that bad but managed to show signs of improvement briefly only to look awful again??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on January 19, 2017, 10:28:43 PM

There's the problem it's "only" the McKenna cup.. soon it'll be "only" the league then it'll be sure it's Donegal, then it'll be somebody else in the backdoor and it's see you later 2017..

Our target should of been getting a win in the McKenna Cup and building on it, instead we've lost 3 on the bounce with maybe 2 decent halfs of football.

bannside

When a team gets a few tankings it can be hard to recover the lost confidence that comes from that. The Mc Kenna cup might not be that important in the wider picture but you'd still want to be coming out of it in reasonable shape (mentally and physically) for the bigger tests which are coming up in the Spring. We can't say that. And it's not that we had dozens out playing for the universities.

We have a lot of work to do but one win early doors in the league might settle things down.

Na Glinntí Glasa

To be honest theres probably 3 tiers in ulster. Tyrone/Donegal/Derry then onto Monaghan/Armagh/Down/Fermanagh/Cavan and then sadly Antrim at the bottom. We have been a 2 game championship team for the last few years bar the odd 3 game miracle that comes along once in a blue moon. The McKenna cup only proves what we already all knew ourselves.

We simply are not good enough at the moment to compete against the best teams in the province. Its maybe time we sat up and stopped blaming SV, schools etc etc and realised that we haven't just got the footballers to take us where we want to go.

Im not hating on the players, the county, SV, the clubs etc its simply a case of fact. Its how we deal with it now to try and address big problem that we currently have. It wont be sorted in the short term, rather its something that has to be a long term goal thats instigated.

Antrim hurling has accepted it is where it deserves to be and it has been trying (well, unsuccessfully so far) to try and right the wrongs that it finds itself in but its an on going battle.

I only say that because there are some who somehow seem surprised each year where we find ourselves, who cant understand why we underachieve or mention the line 'we have great club teams'.  We are where deserve to be, its how we address the problem to get out of the current position to one we want to be in. I get as disappoint as the next fan does when i see our results and the consistent failures.
hurl like f**k boi!

The Gs Man

Hopefully our U 21's can give the County something to cheer about this Sunday in the Ulster Championship.
Keep 'er lit

Hectic

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 20, 2017, 11:13:18 AM
To be honest theres probably 3 tiers in ulster. Tyrone/Donegal/Derry then onto Monaghan/Armagh/Down/Fermanagh/Cavan and then sadly Antrim at the bottom. We have been a 2 game championship team for the last few years bar the odd 3 game miracle that comes along once in a blue moon. The McKenna cup only proves what we already all knew ourselves.

We simply are not good enough at the moment to compete against the best teams in the province. Its maybe time we sat up and stopped blaming SV, schools etc etc and realised that we haven't just got the footballers to take us where we want to go.

Im not hating on the players, the county, SV, the clubs etc its simply a case of fact. Its how we deal with it now to try and address big problem that we currently have. It wont be sorted in the short term, rather its something that has to be a long term goal thats instigated.

Antrim hurling has accepted it is where it deserves to be and it has been trying (well, unsuccessfully so far) to try and right the wrongs that it finds itself in but its an on going battle.

I only say that because there are some who somehow seem surprised each year where we find ourselves, who cant understand why we underachieve or mention the line 'we have great club teams'.  We are where deserve to be, its how we address the problem to get out of the current position to one we want to be in. I get as disappoint as the next fan does when i see our results and the consistent failures.

While I keep stating that I believe we have to begin right at the bottom with investment of effort in our primary schools and try and build ourselves up from there that is a very different thing to criticizing the schools.  I believe that we need structures in place that see all kids getting a good level of coaching every week and appropriate tournaments/blitzes on a regular basis.  If you talk to teachers I am sure they would be delighted to have some additional intervention coming into the schools as opposed to taking the hump and thinking you were criticizing what they are currently doing.  I know teachers are famous for complaining but in this instance you would essentially be giving additional help - one of the major complaints from teachers is that they do not have enough additional help in the form of classroom assistants etc to deal with all prevailing needs.

Spike

Its all very simple.  For long term gain you put the structures and manhours in at underage level right from training, refereeing, schools, leagues etc etc etc

For initial results you do what any good practitioner does and that is you employ the best person available for the job to get the best out of what you have.

Can Antrim say they have done either of the two things above?  The answer is a categorical No.

bannside

I was talking to a man last night who said he would bet his life savings that the current Cargin team would beat the current Antrim team!

Whether that's right or wrong no one will know but for some reason there seems to be far too many of our countys players missing from the squad. I can think of at least a dozen players I would have in there. Why are so many not committing?