Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaffronHeart

Agree with all you've said in the last few days. We need more football people as passionate as you to drive us on and you're completely right about the budgets. I feel it's because hurling people in Antrim are more passionate than us football men and want more for the team. We have unlimited potential in both codes it's really about commitment, we are great at making excuses in antrim

delgany

Resources    every club pay £500 of their fees towards development squads. That a starting point

delgany

As  an a side  to u21selection issue.  this is mirrored  in minors... two players retained as keepers    who arent actually gk.. makes  you wonder abt a lads commitment to the dev squads from u14 being overlooked.... and one of them is from the managers club.....

SaffronHeart

Big win today without getting out of second gear. One more win and we are there. I wasn't happy with Waterfords tackling, very dangerous. I hope Niblocks injury isn't as bad as first feared

Gold

Good win.
Waterford terrible and tackling hard ans dangerous.  Didnt take their defeat lying down sailing into our playerw, writing Niblock, McVeigh and McAleese off. Big units those Waterford boys but poor at football

Good performances throughout with O B oyle and Niblock class and Tomas McCann different class altogether.
Serious pace and the dry day with him at FF and the space in front of him suited him...was a joy to watch

Looks like still need at least one win.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

If we beat Louth we're up. If we lose to Louth and beat wicklow then Wexford play Louth so that would be enough.  Louth game is at home which will hopefully help.

bannside

If we beat Wicklow we are up. For now thats all we need to focus on. Thats a massive task now going there, as its away from home and we have a lot of injuries to deal with, so this is far from done and dusted.

Terrific first fifteen minutes yesterday, as good as weve seen for a long time. Evidence of intense tackling at training going on and good link up play too. Waterford came to spoil as they werent able to offer anything from a football perspective. That killed the game off as a spectacle, but we were home and hosed by that stage. Plenty to like. Still plenty to do.

Big Ricky probably my MOM.

BrendanAntrim

I had a notion beforehand that we might dish out a big defeat to Waterford, and it came to pass in the end after a shaky second quarter. While Tomas, Kevin Niblock, Ryan Murray and Bam catch the eye going forward, our defence seems as strong as it has been in a few seasons. No goals conceded isn't a coincidence, Waterford were smothered yesterday with the Johnstons, KOBO, Delargy, Conor Burke all showing really well. And Chris in goals is far and away the best keeper in the division and a few divisions above us too. I think we will get promoted and I hope to make it to the Wicklow game, then it's all about the summer.   

Hope the injured lads aren't too bad - we could do with as full a deck as possible for last two games. BTW - our bench is v strong too.

bannside

Fair play to Chris Kerr, thats a great statistic he has going. Was standing yesterday beside Mickey Mc Veigh from Ballymena (Seans Dad) and he turned round after about fifteen minutes and said "Thats some achievement from Chris Kerr - Oh I know I shouldnt say that it will probably put a curse on him now" and I said "Wait and see you`re going to jinx him now".

No joke, about thirty seconds later Chris pulled off a fantastic save to turn a goal bound shot round the post. We did some laughing. Mickey knew he had got out of jail! He hardly spoke for the rest of the match!

Our minor footballers had a rare five point victory over Tyrone in the minor league.  Carl Mc Cabe taking the training and its getting great feedback. U-17s got a bad drubbing though.

Gold

Good win.
Waterford terrible and tackling hard ans dangerous.  Didnt take their defeat lying down sailing into our playerw, writing Niblock, McVeigh and McAleese off. Big units those Waterford boys but poor at football

Good performances throughout with O B oyle and Niblock class and Tomas McCann different class altogether.
Serious pace and the dry day with him at FF and the space in front of him suited him...was a joy to watch

Looks like still need at least one win.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Spike

another good win at the weekend with the team slowly emerging with some good patterns of play and showed themselves to be the best team in the league (at present).  looking back at the u21s and the comments made, perhaps its time for us to put together a hit list of former respected, intelligent and well known former county men to participate in the management of teams.  Sometimes the kids just want to be taught by someone they have seen playing for antrim or respect through deeds.  Problem is 2009 is really the only period that most young fellas remember - the previous lot just weren't that aspiring, and most of that glorious summer team are still playing. Good to see Gearoid stepping up but are kevin brady, madden or murray big enough names?  any of the Glenavy Gallaghers? Eamon McCann or Ciaran O'Neill?  Mulholland from glenravel? Big Joe Quinn? Kevin McGourty or Simon Kennedy? Plenty of names that im leaving out of course but we need articulate and able people in these positions.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Spike on March 15, 2016, 04:33:32 PM
another good win at the weekend with the team slowly emerging with some good patterns of play and showed themselves to be the best team in the league (at present).  looking back at the u21s and the comments made, perhaps its time for us to put together a hit list of former respected, intelligent and well known former county men to participate in the management of teams.  Sometimes the kids just want to be taught by someone they have seen playing for antrim or respect through deeds.  Problem is 2009 is really the only period that most young fellas remember - the previous lot just weren't that aspiring, and most of that glorious summer team are still playing. Good to see Gearoid stepping up but are kevin brady, madden or murray big enough names?  any of the Glenavy Gallaghers? Eamon McCann or Ciaran O'Neill?  Mulholland from glenravel? Big Joe Quinn? Kevin McGourty or Simon Kennedy? Plenty of names that im leaving out of course but we need articulate and able people in these positions.

I know Joe Quinn is a selector with the current team, Kevin Brady & Martin Mulholland are still playing I think.  Madden is managing a club team.

country bumpkin

And our hurlers are enjoying an overnight stay in London............. ???

SaffronHeart

Absolute joke CB. I Really for the life of me don't understand how the hurlers get a bigger budget. Hopefully the county board will realise next year that there is as many football men in the county as hurling men and thus put both teams on an equal footing. Disgraceful from the hurlers especially considering the footballers promotion was nearly jeopardised at their overnight expense.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SaffronHeart on March 20, 2016, 04:11:19 PM
Absolute joke CB. I Really for the life of me don't understand how the hurlers get a bigger budget. Hopefully the county board will realise next year that there is as many football men in the county as hurling men and thus put both teams on an equal footing. Disgraceful from the hurlers especially considering the footballers promotion was nearly jeopardised at their overnight expense.

Do you the reason why this happened?? Why disgraceful from the hurlers? Did they go out to lose? Did they pick to go on the Saturday??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea