Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on October 16, 2014, 10:13:59 AM
Big weekend ahead. Portglenone go into Ulster intermediate against Cavan champions Cootehill in the preliminary round of the Ulster intermediate. New territory so thats the big excitement round here. The big one for everyone else though will be the clash of the big two at Ahoghill. And its anyones game.

After St Galls despatched St Pauls with ease I predicted that St Galls were back to their imperious best. Now I am not so sure. Its back to Ahoghill where Cargin have played two matches so far - and thats worth a point or two. (The same way as I believed Casement was worth a few points start for St Galls.)

The availability of the excellent John Carron and Justin Crozier could tip the balance in Cargins favour. Neither played much so far and are now in the mix. While I remain a great admirer of what St Galls have done over the years, I have a feeling the men from Toome could finally get over the line this time round. Sometimes you have to lose one to win one - and thats exactly what they did last year.

Cargin have tweaked their style too since last year so I predict we will see a terrible game of low scoring football. Both teams pack defences and break from speed at the back, and there will be lots of slow build up play. Probably a 0-6 to 0-5 win for one of them. Dosent make the match any less intriguing though.

Surely no one could deny Cargin their moment. They have many players who have given a huge commitment to both club and county over the years and deserve a county winners medal in their careers. This time round I hope and believe they can. It would be great for South West Antrim who have been playing second fiddle for far too long.

Justin was available last year and had a mire in my view, the best team usually wins so I'll applaud either team at the end. Cargin have lost a lot, so it takes you to lose one before winning one doesn't come into it, the pressure of losing again and again can have a bigger impact I think.

If we play to our potential then this will go in our favour, if we allow Cargins negative tactics to get on top of us then it will be down to the free takers and the team who gives away the most frees!!

We have the experience to get through the tight games and not panic (well last year I nearly crapped me pants) when the chips are down. Sean Kelly is a leader who commands the biggest respect from all the players, when he steps up and drives forward things happen so I hope we can all follow he's leadership. I believe this is our final year but the drive to get 8 in a row is serious, as much as Cargin have been our rivals for a lot of years, beating the Johnnies record would be a bigger factor in our players heads I'd say.

Cargin have aged as well so some other team my take over after we step down for the challenge, who knows, some teams pretend to challenge but eventually fall away
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

8 in a row would set a record that would most likely never be broken (unless you do it next year too lol).

St Galls the standard - no one disputing that MR2. A great footballing team without doubt. Justy dosent have too many mares and will be back fresh and hungry, so if anything thats another bonus in Cargins favour.

As you say good luck to whoever wins it. A lot of good footballers and good lads on both teams.

manballandall

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2014, 10:34:05 AM
Big weekend ahead. Portglenone go into Ulster intermediate against Cavan champions Cootehill in the preliminary round of the Ulster intermediate. New territory so thats the big excitement round here. The big one for everyone else though will be the clash of the big two at Ahoghill. And its anyones game.

After St Galls despatched St Pauls with ease I predicted that St Galls were back to their imperious best. Now I am not so sure. Its back to Ahoghill where Cargin have played two matches so far - and thats worth a point or two. (The same way as I believed Casement was worth a few points start for St Galls.)

The availability of the excellent John Carron and Justin Crozier could tip the balance in Cargins favour. Neither played much so far and are now in the mix. While I remain a great admirer of what St Galls have done over the years, I have a feeling the men from Toome could finally get over the line this time round. Sometimes you have to lose one to win one - and thats exactly what they did last year.

Cargin have tweaked their style too since last year so I predict we will see a terrible game of low scoring football. Both teams pack defences and break from speed at the back, and there will be lots of slow build up play. Probably a 0-6 to 0-5 win for one of them. Dosent make the match any less intriguing though.

Surely no one could deny Cargin their moment. They have many players who have given a huge commitment to both club and county over the years and deserve a county winners medal in their careers. This time round I hope and believe they can. It would be great for South West Antrim who have been playing second fiddle for far too long.

Justin was available last year and had a mire in my view, the best team usually wins so I'll applaud either team at the end. Cargin have lost a lot, so it takes you to lose one before winning one doesn't come into it, the pressure of losing again and again can have a bigger impact I think.

If we play to our potential then this will go in our favour, if we allow Cargins negative tactics to get on top of us then it will be down to the free takers and the team who gives away the most frees!!

We have the experience to get through the tight games and not panic (well last year I nearly crapped me pants) when the chips are down. Sean Kelly is a leader who commands the biggest respect from all the players, when he steps up and drives forward things happen so I hope we can all follow he's leadership. I believe this is our final year but the drive to get 8 in a row is serious, as much as Cargin have been our rivals for a lot of years, beating the Johnnies record would be a bigger factor in our players heads I'd say.

Cargin have aged as well so some other team my take over after we step down for the challenge, who knows, some teams pretend to challenge but eventually fall away

Do we not hear this every year ? Cargin don't deserve anything, they have to earn it and win it.
But certainly they had a great chance last year and still didnt take it. What does that say about them?
is that a positive or a negative .
I don't think we are playing great and my personal opinion is that we need a few changes to be made from creggan game but personnel and game plan. However we needed that game after strolling past St. Paul's and we should have learnt more from the semi. If we have or not remains to be seen. Sunday will be decided by whoever takes their chances as both teams will have them. Burkey and mc clean massive losses and a few other possible injury worries so cargins to lose....again

On another note , a prominent member of cargins team let it slip that he booked the week off to celebrate not realising he was in the company of a st galls players wife. NGA

bannside

Any predictions for the man of the match award? Suppose the only newspaper that will definitely give that title is the Antrim Post, so we may as well use that as the definitive answer. One answer only.

My guess is....Kobo the great.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manballandall on October 16, 2014, 12:07:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2014, 10:34:05 AM

Do we not hear this every year ? Cargin don't deserve anything, they have to earn it and win it.
But certainly they had a great chance last year and still didnt take it. What does that say about them?
is that a positive or a negative .
I don't think we are playing great and my personal opinion is that we need a few changes to be made from creggan game but personnel and game plan. However we needed that game after strolling past St. Paul's and we should have learnt more from the semi. If we have or not remains to be seen. Sunday will be decided by whoever takes their chances as both teams will have them. Burkey and mc clean massive losses and a few other possible injury worries so cargins to lose....again

On another note , a prominent member of cargins team let it slip that he booked the week off to celebrate not realising he was in the company of a st galls players wife. NGA

Burkey didn't play last year either along with Kieran. 7/4 Cargin, 4/7 St Galls. Might go for the 8/1 draw
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Points a Good Score

Quote from: bannside on October 16, 2014, 12:29:50 PM
Any predictions for the man of the match award? Suppose the only newspaper that will definitely give that title is the Antrim Post, so we may as well use that as the definitive answer. One answer only.

My guess is....Kobo the great.

If Cargin are to win Kobo will have to have a great game so every chance he will obtain man of the match, however I would not use the Antrim Post as a barometer to measure anything against, whilst it is great to see them covering a wide range of Gaelic Games in Antrim I feel their coverage can be often contradictory and condescending and very rarely on them money but then again that is only my opinion and others may disagree.

country bumpkin

Cargin have already resigned to their fate I hear and will employ negative tactics to ensure they are not beaten by far................and will allow Galls to stroll to 8 in a row...........................and wee Joe will be a great chairman.................... ::)

Jeepers Creepers

Cargin have to beat St Galls before the decline starts, otherwise it will be hollow. They have to fancy themselves for Sunday. Weather ain't looking to great either as the winds are picking up.

DearyMe

Key battles on Sunday???

If Galls forwards are allowed to play, and if the decide to play well, it could be curtains!

Cargin will have to focus alot of energy in their backline.

I think they have certainly enough up front to win this if Galls are anything but 100%.

Midfield will be very interesting depending who plays  ;), will Anto Healy come in, Veronica, other Kelly, dont forget McGreevey's young legs and energy were a factor last year in half back!  An awful lot to consider for Galls!  Kieran McGourty back in county final will be a plus also!

If Crozier is not 100% fit it could be a worry.  O'Boyle will command as always.

Galls forward selection is another problem - some boys could be benched for this one!

For Cargin its 'exactly what it says on the tin' - Galls have greater options, but is the hunger still there?

Cargin will be bouncing!

Interesting to see if the report on Tuesday is right, talking about st.galls having 'had' a great team!

Looking forward to it, see you all up there at 5pm according to paper! :D
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

country bumpkin

Think u may be getting thins a bit back to front deary me...............cargin have the greater fire power in my possibly biased opinion and the pressure may well be on what looked a suspect gall's rear guard................can ur defence cope with O'Boyle, magill, c close, tomas mc cann, etc..............the cargin defence with crozier certainly fully fit, m kane back, scullion, kobo and the impressive j Laverty raring to go will give ur forward dept a headache unless they can find radical improvement on creggan game...........as for mid field the mc cans are a match for anybody................if cargin do bring their A game is then ...........................well............u decide.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 17, 2014, 04:25:17 PM
Think u may be getting thins a bit back to front deary me...............cargin have the greater fire power in my possibly biased opinion and the pressure may well be on what looked a suspect gall's rear guard................can ur defence cope with O'Boyle, magill, c close, tomas mc cann, etc..............the cargin defence with crozier certainly fully fit, m kane back, scullion, kobo and the impressive j Laverty raring to go will give ur forward dept a headache unless they can find radical improvement on creggan game...........as for mid field the mc cans are a match for anybody................if cargin do bring their A game is then ...........................well............u decide.

What's different from Cargin this year from last year? We managed to do alright against them before and you know how these finals pan out by now CB ;) 

country bumpkin

One quite subtle difference is on the appointment of the match official MR2................and on the endeavours of the sports psychologist who has been seen about Toome a few times recently :)

imtommygunn

Too early for this kind of talk CB...

Too many years of disappointment - time to do talking on the pitch!

country bumpkin

What did I say TG?...........

imtommygunn

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 17, 2014, 04:25:17 PM
.if cargin do bring their A game is then ...........................well............u decide.