Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

The fact that we now have a player available who flies out on Saturday for a weeks break is seen as a bonus for us. We did not ask, or expect any favours from the county "board" - if the match had been fixed for any other time we would have just got on with it. No one from Portglenone made any representation to CC to bring the game forward and we were as surprised as anyone that it was fixed for Thursday.

I managed Portglenone to a county final a few years back and all was going well enough until the week of the final. TWO starting players were officially designated with swine flu (2009) and had doctors certificates. I passed that info to the county chairman at the time who said that under those circumstances the game should be put back, but to wait for an hour till he got back to me. When he did it was that the game couldnt be put back (even though the following weekend was a totally free football weekend and would not have clashed with anything). My thoughts were that a "bigger" club who might have made more noise about it (or refused to play ) would have been accommodated. We took a walloping, and would have most likely in any event, but it taught me never to expect any favours from the CC.

I can see how Aghagallon may feel aggrieved especially that the venue is much closer to ourselves, but there is no other floodlit venue closer to midway that has lights qualified to host a championship game. In this instance the ball bounced in our favour, but if Aghagallon play the way they did against All Saints they will be favourites to progress.

Anyone who really wants to be there still will, children and all.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on September 02, 2014, 06:50:57 PM
The fact that we now have a player available who flies out on Saturday for a weeks break is seen as a bonus for us. We did not ask, or expect any favours from the county "board" - if the match had been fixed for any other time we would have just got on with it. No one from Portglenone made any representation to CC to bring the game forward and we were as surprised as anyone that it was fixed for Thursday.

I managed Portglenone to a county final a few years back and all was going well enough until the week of the final. TWO starting players were officially designated with swine flu (2009) and had doctors certificates. I passed that info to the county chairman at the time who said that under those circumstances the game should be put back, but to wait for an hour till he got back to me. When he did it was that the game couldnt be put back (even though the following weekend was a totally free football weekend and would not have clashed with anything). My thoughts were that a "bigger" club who might have made more noise about it (or refused to play ) would have been accommodated. We took a walloping, and would have most likely in any event, but it taught me never to expect any favours from the CC.

I can see how Aghagallon may feel aggrieved especially that the venue is much closer to ourselves, but there is no other floodlit venue closer to midway that has lights qualified to host a championship game. In this instance the ball bounced in our favour, but if Aghagallon play the way they did against All Saints they will be favourites to progress.

Now now Bannside, we definitely don't get favours from the county board! Maybe getting mixed up with another team in blue and white  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

No excuses that particular match MR2. Galls were unbeatable at that time. Not saying youse are easy to beat now either LOL but we got a right drubbing that night. The touchline twas a very lonely place - not sure if I have fully recovered yet!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on September 02, 2014, 07:25:44 PM
No excuses that particular match MR2. Galls were unbeatable at that time. Not saying youse are easy to beat now either LOL but we got a right drubbing that night. The touchline twas a very lonely place - not sure if I have fully recovered yet!

Was the only time really that we went to town on someone in a final, that's ultimately as a manager/fan/player you want to win them but they aren't the sweetest. Have been on that side of things too Bannside so I know how you feel :(

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bannside on September 02, 2014, 06:50:57 PM

very good sir Alex ;D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

bannside

Thought you would be lying low this week Hoof!!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bannside on September 02, 2014, 08:30:17 PM
Thought you would be lying low this week Hoof!!

if the results go my way this week, i will have to lie low for the final !

bannside

Big yin, you've got more clubs than Rory ha ha.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bannside on September 02, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
Big yin, you've got more clubs than Rory ha ha.

only one really - and they're out !!

bloodybreakball

Aye, bannside white hill ten mile the other way and five minutes from antrim at say a 7:45 throw in would have been terrible. The world would have caved in!

JimStynes

Well done Portglenone. The better side on the night and I hope they go on and win it now. We didn't play to our best and we have a young side so they will have learned a lot from this. We just started putting effort into the season too late on, portglenone have been playing well all year so it would be a shame if they don't go on and win it. We will be back next year!

Also, terrible news about Eddie, puts it all into perspective! RIP

manballandall

Quote from: reddog on September 04, 2014, 08:22:50 PM
Quote from: manballandall on September 04, 2014, 08:15:12 PM
Decent referee and decent fella. RIP Eddie

Mate please take this down some family dont know this is inappropriate

You could have at least practice what you preach ?

haranguerer

Came across as a great character altogether, he'll be missed reffing round the place. RIP.

stiffler

RIP - a big loss to Antrim GAA, but most importantly to his own family circle.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Jeepers Creepers