Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

First time poster on the boards (God help me!) was just wondering what we could do to improve our leagues in Antrim, would it be benificial in doing away with division four? looking at the leagues as they are you could have a 12 team div one and two and that would leave a 13 team division 3. so by my understanding the leagues as per league positions last year would be

Div 1
Cargin
Lamh Dhearg
St Galls
St Johns
Creggan
St Pauls
Rossa
Aldergrove
Moneyglass
St Bridgets
Ahoghill
Rasharkin

Div 2
Ballymena
Portglenone
St Teresas
Glenavy
Gort Na Mona
Aghagallon
O'Donnells
Glenravel
Tir Na Nog
Davitts

Div 3
Dunloy
Ardoyne
Sarsfields
St Endas
Antrim
St Agnes
McDermotts
St Malachys
Eire Og
Lisburn
Pearses
Ballycastle
Mitchells

also something to try and make more meaningful games every team plays eachother once then after that round of fixtures the league splits into a top half (promotion/league winners) group and bottom half (relagation) group.

i know it would have some flaws but think its something that could work and bring more meaningful games! anyone any thoughts?

Gizzy15

Quote from: themac_23 on November 12, 2013, 11:51:32 AM
First time poster on the boards (God help me!) was just wondering what we could do to improve our leagues in Antrim, would it be benificial in doing away with division four? looking at the leagues as they are you could have a 12 team div one and two and that would leave a 13 team division 3. so by my understanding the leagues as per league positions last year would be

Div 1
Cargin
Lamh Dhearg
St Galls
St Johns
Creggan
St Pauls
Rossa
Aldergrove
Moneyglass
St Bridgets
Ahoghill
Rasharkin

Div 2
Ballymena
Portglenone
St Teresas
Glenavy
Gort Na Mona
Aghagallon
O'Donnells
Glenravel
Tir Na Nog
Davitts

Div 3
Dunloy
Ardoyne
Sarsfields
St Endas
Antrim
St Agnes
McDermotts
St Malachys
Eire Og
Lisburn
Pearses
Ballycastle
Mitchells

also something to try and make more meaningful games every team plays eachother once then after that round of fixtures the league splits into a top half (promotion/league winners) group and bottom half (relagation) group.

i know it would have some flaws but think its something that could work and bring more meaningful games! anyone any thoughts?

would have a lot of support I would say, would create a more competitive second half of the season. think it would carry even more sway with a top 3/bottom 3 promotion/relegation. top 2 up bottom 2 down and 3rd place play 3rd bottom in a playoff. this would almost guarantee at least 15 meaningful games (out of 17) for all teams involved. there are 2 or three clubs that would struggle at the bottom of div 3 which would be a negative but you cant go on with a bit piece div 4 just for this reason.

CitySlicker11

Int the long run I think this would be a good way to go, it exposes more players to a higher level, and then it is sink or swim. So you would be hoping that this would force clubs to put in more effort and to get moving up the ladder.

However getting teams to agree to it now may be difficult enough as clubs may find it difficult agreeing on where the cut off points should be.

Good suggestion though. I also think that these changes would be a lot easier to implement in the football compared to the hurling. Worth a shot.

The Worker

Some difference in standard in that div 3. The likes of Dunloy and sarsfields are massively ahead of pearses, Mitchell's etc.

themac_23

Think it would also address the championship problem, div 1 senior div 2 intermediate div 3 junior. Also with regards teams getting hammered, this happens in every league at every level, there are always going to be teams who are a mis match, the thing being with regards the split they then get competitive games closer to championship etc. also for example when endas Dunloy SARS play the weaker teams it gives them a chance to blood some younger players. I agree it wouldn't work in hurling though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: themac_23 on November 12, 2013, 08:26:00 PM
Think it would also address the championship problem, div 1 senior div 2 intermediate div 3 junior. Also with regards teams getting hammered, this happens in every league at every level, there are always going to be teams who are a mis match, the thing being with regards the split they then get competitive games closer to championship etc. also for example when endas Dunloy SARS play the weaker teams it gives them a chance to blood some younger players. I agree it wouldn't work in hurling though.

Play off's were brought in a few years ago during the starred and non starred games, in hurling anyways, not sure it happened for the football teams for some reason.

In principle it's the best thing to do, I've always wanted the leagues to mean something, in other counties the league playoff's are a major deal it seems, I couldn't tell you who wins the league here (in Antrim) or who cares, Cargin usually win it I think....

The leagues should give seeding in championship, would ensure teams focus a bit more during the league and maybe raise the standard leading into the later part of the season.

In Kilkenny they have the league format for the Championship top two go through and the rest battle to stay up with the last match being a relegation playoff!! That would be interesting to see
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

So you say you are not aware of who wins leagues MIlltown Row............and such confession adds confusion to your long list of threads which served notice on your extensive knowledge of the Saffron affairs.
Surely your latest comment just could not have been delivered in arrogance, in an attempt to belittle :o which would do little justice to a member of such a great club.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 13, 2013, 01:22:21 PM
So you say you are not aware of who wins leagues MIlltown Row............and such confession adds confusion to your long list of threads which served notice on your extensive knowledge of the Saffron affairs.
Surely your latest comment just could not have been delivered in arrogance, in an attempt to belittle :o which would do little justice to a member of such a great club.

I'm trying to make the leagues important I've been saying it for years bumpkin, if there was silverware or merit in winning the div 1 league then bring it on, as it is it serves no purpose only in relegation matters. I'd maybe even go a step further and have a Ulster league winners competition between the counties. Again this may encourage teams playing/training hard till the end of the year.

On the other matter you are way to sensitive,  if shoe on other foot I wouldn't give a toss if having a pot at my club for only winning leagues and not winning championships. My knowledge of Saffron affairs is as good as yours I'd imagine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

jftj

Was this not tried before where u were seeded  for cship depending on your league position?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jftj on November 13, 2013, 04:18:06 PM
Was this not tried before where u were seeded  for cship depending on your league position?

I can't remember if it was, I know they had playoffs for the hurling leagues a few years ago, as I was playing for the seconds when we won div 4 and 3 (we scrapped into the playoff both times and won)

country bumpkin

I have no doubt as to your knowledge of the Saffron scene Milltown, and I take a bow. But I will jog your memory as to the division one league situation over the past few years anyway, 2013 winners as you suggest was Cargin, 2012 winners, Lamh Dearg, and of course everybody remembers St Gall's refusing to accept the trophy in 2011.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 14, 2013, 11:47:58 AM
I have no doubt as to your knowledge of the Saffron scene Milltown, and I take a bow. But I will jog your memory as to the division one league situation over the past few years anyway, 2013 winners as you suggest was Cargin, 2012 winners, Lamh Dearg, and of course everybody remembers St Gall's refusing to accept the trophy in 2011.

I'm sure it sat in our trophy cabinet that year, again it wasn't a major drive for us over the years, yous lost the league badly that year but put us out in the first round of the Championship at Casement, memory is very good. What someone has said already and I agree with is make it worthwhile. Why is it that in other counties in Ulster the league matters?

imtommygunn

It matters to teams at the bottom of division one. Depends on where you are really. Galls and Cargin are quite far ahead of the rest and can remain so while taking it , relatively, easy in the league. Many can't. I don't think you could say the likes of Aldergrove, Moneyglass etc didn't take the league seriously.

There is quite a big disparity in antrim football which you wouldn't get in the tyrones, derrys etc. In Tyrone a lot of teams are on a level and in Derry likewise. In antrim you have about 3 tiers in diivision 1 and only the third one will be going for relegation and the winning one could come from any one of, let's be honest, 3 clubs.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2013, 01:34:07 PM
It matters to teams at the bottom of division one. Depends on where you are really. Galls and Cargin are quite far ahead of the rest and can remain so while taking it , relatively, easy in the league. Many can't. I don't think you could say the likes of Aldergrove, Moneyglass etc didn't take the league seriously.

There is quite a big disparity in antrim football which you wouldn't get in the tyrones, derrys etc. In Tyrone a lot of teams are on a level and in Derry likewise. In antrim you have about 3 tiers in diivision 1 and only the third one will be going for relegation and the winning one could come from any one of, let's be honest, 3 clubs.

Yes we know that, but why is it important to win the league in these other counties? I refereed a game this year div 1 and the ex county player said blow it up ffs, i said I'll play the 60 mins he went on to say no one gives a fcuk about this game!!

Changing that attitude is wants required, but if there are no incentives or if you are mid table why would you bother?

Walter Cronc

Did St Endas retain the Antrim U16 title this year?

Have they much of last years Ulster winning side back?