Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.Poacher2012

Great response so far folks,

GAA Football Coaching Clinic

Saturday 9th November 2013

"Tackling for Success" (10 different Tackling games/drills)

Coaching Forum – Implications of the "Black Card"   
when Coaching the tackle, guests include;

2013 Down Senior Football Captain Mark Poland &
2013 Armagh Senior Football Captain Ciaran Mc Keever

St Columban's College Kilkeel

£10 (Includes Tea/Coffee and information book
** Proceeds for the development of GAA in St Columban's**

Contact Steven Poacher to confirm place via text to 07779780919
or email to stevepoacher@hotmail.com **Payment on the day**

Glensman

Quote from: jftj on October 17, 2013, 05:20:22 AM
Quote from: Glensman on October 17, 2013, 12:42:23 AM
Quote from: jftj on October 16, 2013, 09:30:31 PM
Quote from: Glensman on October 16, 2013, 08:58:56 PM
Quote from: manballandall on October 16, 2013, 07:58:53 AM
Another twist in the Dawson saga in IN today . Not a major shock as we all suspected there was more to it but why oh why does the county board leave themselves wide open for ridicule. Unprofessional is being kind

What did the article say?

On another note I understand the Johnnies were dishing out a bit of dirt in their under 21 match v St Brigids. Seemed a comfortable result and am guessing was never in doubt before they fielded with all their juvenile success of late so one wonders why?! Belfast (G)gaels...tut tut again.
handbags concernin 2 lads who were as bad as each other.move on,nothing to see here!

Not what I heard sir but happy to move on...if thugs would do likewise from the Gaelic pitch!
i think there was 3 yellow cards the whole game.hardly a belfast gaels type game,more like somebody trying to stir the shit!

No shit-stirring here sir...just kind of think dirty actions on the field should not be missed. The mpre they go on they more they will continute to go on.

May be misinformed and I wasn't there but a few belts to the head/throat is grand sure...isn't it.

Gold

Quote from: Glensman on October 18, 2013, 01:16:24 PM
Another twist in the Dawson saga in IN today . Not a major shock as we all suspected there was more to it but why oh why does the county board leave themselves wide open for ridicule. Unprofessional is being kind

On another note I understand the Johnnies were dishing out a bit of dirt in their under 21 match v St Brigids. Seemed a comfortable result and am guessing was never in doubt before they fielded with all their juvenile success of late so one wonders why?! Belfast (G)gaels...tut tut again.
handbags concernin 2 lads who were as bad as each other.move on,nothing to see here!

Not what I heard sir but happy to move on...if thugs would do likewise from the Gaelic pitch!
i think there was 3 yellow cards the whole game.hardly a belfast gaels type game,more like somebody trying to stir the shit!

No shit-stirring here sir...just kind of think dirty actions on the field should not be missed. The mpre they go on they more they will continute to go on.

May be misinformed and I wasn't there but a few belts to the head/throat is grand sure...isn't it.

There's a difference between being hard and fair and downright thuggary. The lines are most definitely blurred in Antrim (especially Belfast) GAA.

St Galls should be the example for everyone about playing hard but fair. Never any dirt associated with them. Sickening criminal acts are too often carried out by teams and each and every incident must be highlighted or else it will continue. Its not right to go out to play football/hurling and be hospitalised by a broken jaw/leg etc following a criminal assault. Do these Neanderthals not remember incidents such as what happened to Marc McGovern of Fermanagh in USA when he was brain damaged as they are cowardly punching or kicking someone from behind/their blindside or swinging a hurl at their head. People who knowingly, wrongfully dismiss some acts only serve to ensure that they recur time and again. As MR2 said if id have cowardly carried out such an act from behind unprovoked (other than the fact someone got the better of them at sport, which is usually the provocation here) done the same my Da woulda emptied me, not supported me.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

jdyok

From 'Glensman'

Clearly not happy or ready to move on...

jftj

"i wasnt there"-maybe the only important thing u said there.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on October 18, 2013, 01:39:53 PM

There's a difference between being hard and fair and downright thuggary. The lines are most definitely blurred in Antrim (especially Belfast) GAA.

St Galls should be the example for everyone about playing hard but fair. Never any dirt associated with them. Sickening criminal acts are too often carried out by teams and each and every incident must be highlighted or else it will continue. Its not right to go out to play football/hurling and be hospitalised by a broken jaw/leg etc following a criminal assault. Do these Neanderthals not remember incidents such as what happened to Marc McGovern of Fermanagh in USA when he was brain damaged as they are cowardly punching or kicking someone from behind/their blindside or swinging a hurl at their head. People who knowingly, wrongfully dismiss some acts only serve to ensure that they recur time and again. As MR2 said if id have cowardly carried out such an act from behind unprovoked (other than the fact someone got the better of them at sport, which is usually the provocation here) done the same my Da woulda emptied me, not supported me.

Not talking about the Johnnies here (seems I have to put a disclaimer in now for everything I say) but we are at the point were 'hard men' of the 80's are now the fathers of players that are plying their trade in the juvenile/senior grades, it's very difficult for these lads to not be influenced by these stories form their dads. Hopefully this will die off. which makes me think of teams that are hard but fair (not dirty) teams- Creggan, Cargin (now, they had a bad rep years ago) Naomhgall, Portglenone, St Teresa's, Eire Og, Moneyglass, St Brigids GAC Rossa, St Enda's, and  Dunloy. Just my opinion 8)

We've had a few rockets over the years but they usually never lasted, was never in our training (I always wonder did teams train players how to be dirty cnuts, or were they always dirty cnuts)

On another note the lads are training away and playing a few games to keep them ticking over, since the final was so long ago I hope they are up to speed as the Donegal Champions will have two weeks and straight into it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Glensman

Quote from: jftj on October 18, 2013, 05:03:31 PM

"i wasnt there"-maybe the only important thing u said there.

Me not being there has feck all to do with whether a guy was lamped a few times?!

Does it?

jftj

the game was not dirty at all.i was there.only incidents involved 2 players who were having a bit of a ding dong with neither prepared to back down.i think the guy your talking about  was no angel and more than held his own in these exchanges.

Milltown Row2

Dublin and Antrim playing today (weather permitting and pitch playable) at Naomh Gall for 2.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manballandall

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manballandall on October 19, 2013, 10:43:33 AM
Sherlock looking for ye

He never played today which is good caused the lads they had playing were great, serious fitness levels shown by the Dublin team today, we were competitive for big periods but manged to let them score goals which was the major difference. Good banter and fair play to all involved

jftj

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 06:19:31 PM
bad call for a ref to be coming out with pre-conceived notions about who is dirty and who isnt.from div 1 u reckon us,l.d and st.pauls are dirty.i,ve always found l.d and st.pauls to play the game hard but fair and with a lot of pride.to suggest that both these fine clubs are sending their players out to be dirty is doing them a great disservise.these teams do not rollover,they battle.surely that has to be admired not scorned upon

Not talking about the Johnnies here (seems I have to put a disclaimer in now for everything I say) but we are at the point were 'hard men' of the 80's are now the fathers of players that are plying their trade in the juvenile/senior grades, it's very difficult for these lads to not be influenced by these stories form their dads. Hopefully this will die off. which makes me think of teams that are hard but fair (not dirty) teams- Creggan, Cargin (now, they had a bad rep years ago) Naomhgall, Portglenone, St Teresa's, Eire Og, Moneyglass, St Brigids GAC Rossa, St Enda's, and  Dunloy. Just my opinion 8)

We've had a few rockets over the years but they usually never lasted, was never in our training (I always wonder did teams train players how to be dirty cnuts, or were they always dirty cnuts)

On another note the lads are training away and playing a few games to keep them ticking over, since the final was so long ago I hope they are up to speed as the Donegal Champions will have two weeks and straight into it

jftj

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 06:19:31 PM
so out of the div 1 teams that leaves us,l.d and st pauls.i always thought l.d and st.pauls played the game hard but fair .to suggest these clubs are sendin their teams out to be dirty is doin them a great disservice.teams who are willin to battle and not rollover are to be admired and not scorned upon.

Milltown Row2

Aldergrove got a serious win today against Creggan.

will that fortunate win keep them up?

Points a Good Score

Aldergroves win keeps them up, great achievement from them and they will no doubt be looking to build from this and push on next year. The other relegation place will be sorted next Sunday in the Rossa, Moneyglass game winner stays up loser to go down.