Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StoneCowboy

Hi lads,

Im just lookin to get a bit of help here.
Im reloacting back to Belfast in a few weeks, and Il be lookin for a new club in Belfast.
Il most likely live somewhere in Belfast.

I know a few lads at MoneyGlass, who said to come to them but I think it mite be too far out.
Im from Down originally, but ive been playing the last 6 seasons or so between Dublin London and Manchester.

The move to Belfast would definatley be for a club for at least 2 seasons.

Id be thinking a fairly decent grade, maybe good Intermediate / Decent senior, whod be friendly to blowins like myself. ... particulary a team lacking defenders, ha!

Id be a pretty dedicated player, wouldnt miss trainings or matches very rarely and should still have  few years decent ball in me.
Any help would be great, cheers lads.

CentreHalfBack

Just looking at the championship draws, did Ardoyne and Ahagallon not make the step up after last years success? Bit disappointing  :-\
New season - new reason

CentreHalfBack

Quote from: StoneCowboy on February 26, 2013, 01:52:21 PM
Hi lads,

Im just lookin to get a bit of help here.
Im reloacting back to Belfast in a few weeks, and Il be lookin for a new club in Belfast.
Il most likely live somewhere in Belfast.

I know a few lads at MoneyGlass, who said to come to them but I think it mite be too far out.
Im from Down originally, but ive been playing the last 6 seasons or so between Dublin London and Manchester.

The move to Belfast would definatley be for a club for at least 2 seasons.

Id be thinking a fairly decent grade, maybe good Intermediate / Decent senior, whod be friendly to blowins like myself. ... particulary a team lacking defenders, ha!

Id be a pretty dedicated player, wouldnt miss trainings or matches very rarely and should still have  few years decent ball in me.
Any help would be great, cheers lads.

Intermediate clubs in Belfast:

St Enda's
St Teresa's
Gort Na Mona
Sarsfields
O'Donnell's

Senior clubs in Belfast:

St Gall's
St John's
Lamh Dhearg
St Pauls's
Rossa
St Brigid's

New season - new reason

AQMP

Antrim team to play Fermanagh on Sat

1. Chris Kerr Naomh Gall

2. Kevin O Boyle Clann na hEireann
3. Paul Doherty Ros Earcain
4. Nial Delargy Mhic Asmaint

5. Tony Scullion Clann na hEireann
6. Justin Crozier Clann na hEireann
7. John Carron Clann na hEireann

8. Michael Mc Cann Clann na hEireann
9. Sean Mc Veigh Naomh Uile

10. Conor Murray Lamh Dhearg
11. Kevin Niblock Naomh Gall
12. Brendan Herron Lamh Dhearg

13. Paddy Cunningham Lamh Dhearg
14. Michael Pollock Naomh Gall
15. Ryan Murray Lamh Dhearg

16 John Finucane Lamh Dhearg
17 Sean Finch Ui Dhonnabhain Rosa
18 James Laverty Clann na hEireann
19 Anto Healy Naomh Gall
20 Andy McClean Naomh Gall
21 Michael Herron Lamh Dhearg
22 Conal Kelly Naomh Eoin
23 Dermot Mc Cann Ciceam Creagan
24 Liam Carland Naomh Pol
25 Tomas McCann Clann na hEireann
26 Paddy Kelly Mhic Asmaint

bannside

Really looking forward to this match tonight.  Vibes are that Fermanagh have never been in better shape, and PC will now have a good handle on his best formation. They are two out of two, and their easy win over Roscommon last time out really caught the eye. (Roscommon had beaten Sligo in their first game).

Its the kind of league where not much separates all the teams, but if we can get across the line tonight (I`d settle for a one point win) then we can use this as a springboard for promotion. A good start is essential though because our own fitness levels are excellent too and I think we will see two teams really going for it tonight, with a refreshing emphasis on putting scores on the board!

Be good to see a decent crowd out - hard to beat Sat night under the floodlights! Come on the Saffrons.

AQMP

Despite what you might read in the papers Fermanagh are very confident of winning easily tonight.

bannside

AQMP - you were on the money to be fair. PC has got a great run out of Fermanagh and they are a fairly serious outfit. Fit stong hungry and a game plan thats exceptionally hard to break down.

We needed to work very hard indeed for anything we got, but coming from four points down again puts character on a team. Well done to FD and the lads, that was one that could have got away.

For entertainment value it was worth every penny. Two teams that wouldnt be out of place in Division two.

Sean Mc Veigh standout for us, just wanted it so much you could see his passion for the cause all night long. Four class fetches, and the goal of the game. Now the main man.

Ryan Murray demonstrating his class yet again. Two wonder points when the chips were down- this guy is the real deal. Thats one of the corner slots sorted.

bannside

Just back in from the clubs fight nite in the Tullyglass. Great scrap at the end between two of the Antrim senior football panellists who were on duty earlier in Casement. Toe to toe, wouldnt be out of place in any billing.

Simon Says

interesting game last night we could have lost by 5 and could have won by 5. first half our shooting was terrible between wides and wrong options. only for a stunning save from chris kerr in the second half we would have been dead and buried. what happened with crozier's sending off? sean mc veigh was outstanding and Brendan herron had a solid game at wing forward. On another note, fair play to chris kerr for lining out last night after the passing of his father.

Milltown Row2

Yes fair play indeed. Would have been hard for Chris to focus considering what happened lately
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

+1. And surely Chris was fouled in his square for the Fermanagh goal.

Lots of talking points from Saturdays match, but all things considered we are still in a decent position. A win against Wicklow on Sunday is essential now, as they dont seem to be firing yet, and neither do Meath or Roscommon.  We get these three all up next, and two wins guarantees our safety, while three leaves us with our last match with Monaghan as a promotion possibility.

Brendan Mulgrew (Co PRO) made an interesting reference in his match notes to the fact that one or two of our "established" players had under-performed. Thats a view I also share, so while a managers trust and loyalty to a player is a good quality, there comes a time when the player must simply start producing the goods.

Frank Dawson comes across as a man not scared to make the hard choices, and at this level, thats the way it has to be.

Gold

Quote from: bannside on March 04, 2013, 12:47:33 PM
+1. And surely Chris was fouled in his square for the Fermanagh goal.

Lots of talking points from Saturdays match, but all things considered we are still in a decent position. A win against Wicklow on Sunday is essential now, as they dont seem to be firing yet, and neither do Meath or Roscommon.  We get these three all up next, and two wins guarantees our safety, while three leaves us with our last match with Monaghan as a promotion possibility.

Brendan Mulgrew (Co PRO) made an interesting reference in his match notes to the fact that one or two of our "established" players had under-performed. Thats a view I also share, so while a managers trust and loyalty to a player is a good quality, there comes a time when the player must simply start producing the goods.

Frank Dawson comes across as a man not scared to make the hard choices, and at this level, thats the way it has to be.

Goal looked legit to me. Keenan punched it straight out of his hands without touching him.
Kerr was also ropey under another 3 high balls and lucky not to give away any goals because of them. Kick outs were good though as usual as was his save with legs at end, vital.

Good game. Should have been well ahead at HT and were lucky to get back in it at end. Then should have won it but gave ball away and could have lost it. Weird.

Ryan Murray is the real deal. Shows for ball and drives at defenders, a natural forward. The total opposite of P Cunningham.

Young Delargy worked hard but was troubled by McCabe and his strength. He dived in 3 or 4 times to tackles trying to burst boys when he doesnt yet have the strength for it. The man then was clean past him and we were in trouble. That'll be great in a few years (diving in bursting boys as we dont do that near enough) but for now he maybe should stand his man up. Not easy playing at 6 at his age. Some pace about him too. In game v Cavan (when playing at 4) i thought he was too content to let his man get ball though

McVeigh was class but shouldve had another goal when he fired well over--he couldve walked on in.

We were troubled by Fermanagh's ball winning and in particular no 12 Donnelly. They spoiled Mick well i thought.

Niblock played v well without getting much of a sight on goal, bar the goal.

Pollock couldnt get into it and PC was not in game at all, standing in behind.

Was difficult as Fermanagh flooded their defence. This made for a low scoring 1st half. As players tired though we had more chances in 2nd half.

Couldve won and couldve lost so draw is not the worst
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Simon Says

It was a blatant foul and only given because the ball that was thrown over the line wasnt given, he broke two other high balls and fermanagh players were first to the ball we could have been in serious bother. Hat off to the lad playing 6 days after his father had passed away and making a crucial save at a vital time. kickouts were solid also. Mr reliable captain o boyle had a hard night against there number 13, tricky footballer.

full forward line was being carried by niblock, cunningham didnt look interested and stood in behind his man. pollock couldnt get in to it as mentioned. Michael mc cann was frustrated and singled out for 'special treatment', tomas running at them caused alot of trouble. delargy was ripped apart by no11, no sign of healy getting back into the team?

from a biased point of view, what happened conall wasnt brought on? he carried us in club championship last year to get us to the final, im sure he could offer something from the start?

is there any buses going at the weekend to wicklow game?

bannside

Funny enough Simon, all the Fermanagh men beside me were saying that Shane Mc Cabe (the Fermanagh no 11) was really well held on the night. Usually he gets a chance to totally dictate the play, and by his own high standards wasnt able to get fully going on Saturday. I think the video of the game will show that over 75 minutes his 19 year old marker did a very satisfactory job on one of Ulster footballs best players who has probably "ripped manys a good defender apart" over the years!

But then again I would say that (LOL). Fair play to Chris too though for a vital interception that helped keep him scoreless on the night.

Frank Dawson and Co will watch the video though, and make their own judgement call. I`m sure they will see the match saving tackle at the end too, when the Fermanagh player was three yards clear and clean through......

And yes Simon, Conall Kelly is an excellent player.

Gold

Quote from: bannside on March 04, 2013, 10:40:25 PM
Funny enough Simon, all the Fermanagh men beside me were saying that Shane Mc Cabe (the Fermanagh no 11) was really well held on the night. Usually he gets a chance to totally dictate the play, and by his own high standards wasnt able to get fully going on Saturday. I think the video of the game will show that over 75 minutes his 19 year old marker did a very satisfactory job on one of Ulster footballs best players who has probably "ripped manys a good defender apart" over the years!

But then again I would say that (LOL). Fair play to Chris too though for a vital interception that helped keep him scoreless on the night.

Frank Dawson and Co will watch the video though, and make their own judgement call. I`m sure they will see the match saving tackle at the end too, when the Fermanagh player was three yards clear and clean through......

And yes Simon, Conall Kelly is an excellent player.

Your boy is very talented and going to be top class if keeps progression goin. McCabe is a mouthpiece who was too content to hit 5 yard passes so that he could take the return himself (greedy hole) or else he couldve done more damage. He did go past ND a few times as ND threw himself in trying to burst man as stated above.

I meant to say his man v Cavan got the ball in front of him and then ND tackled him. Antrim backs have been doing that for years but it doesnt do, you have to get to ball and break it (obv that cant always happen and you dont want to dive in at ball if forward has chance to spin you). ND doesnt appear to be type to let that happen though and is still only a kid, learning ropes at this level. Showed some pace on ball the other night too. As stated, playin at 6 for County Seniors is indictment enough of his ability. Just tell him not to dive in to bury a boy (did it 3 times in a row in 2nd half) in his 30's as he doesnt yet have the strength to stop him (McCabe rode his tackle 3 times in row and was through but didnt have killer instinct to punish us). He will do (have the strength) in a couple of years however and i like that style of play

Im just analyzing what i saw. He is and will be quality.

Fermanagh goal was fine btw
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."