Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pragmatist

I am now convinced that the naysayers have been right all along. For years I tried to promote the idea that we can improve players' decision-making on and off the ball, their movement off the ball, their positional sense, their timing of runs and their abilities to adapt to different game plans and attacking options. The truth is that for 90% of players we cannot!!
They bring with them their own inbuilt cerebral limitations for these skills and we can labour for as long as we want and convince ourselves we see glimmers of hope, but the fact is that they will revert to type more often than not.
Just get them as fit as possible, as well-conditioned as possible and as technically proficient as possible and forget the rest.

ONeill

What are you selling? A book?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on October 27, 2012, 09:24:13 PM
What are you selling? A book?

The Pragmatist- History of Derry football training.  Serious axe to grind.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Its St Johns versus Creggan in the U-21 final.

Portglenone took St Johns into extra time, and lets just say that Davy Mc Grath wont be getting any Christmas cards from Portglenone this year! I am not on for referee bashing but i have never seen so many normally placid supporters get so animated after a game.

Credit to St Johns for hanging in there and getting a result. They have some serious players coming through but they were on the ropes in this one and only hit the front for the first time in extra time. Should be an interesting final.

culchie11

Got same version of events about u21 game today ban side from an ahoghill man who said portglenone were hard done by!

He also said paddy Kelly had a great game & the watching county manager was impressed by a few who will get a call in near future!

Good to hear frank Dawson is keeping his eyes and ears open.

Apparently there was another trial game on sat including last years panel.

bannside

Can anyone shed any light on this.

The referee for Saturdays county semi final between ST JOHNS and Portglenone was Davy Mc Grath.

When I go into the referees section of the county website I see Davy Mc Grath - CLUB ST JOHNS !!!!

Please someone tell me this is not the same person.

imtommygunn

Couldn't be...

That would be a mess up of mammoth proportions...

I smell an appeal!!

bannside

Don`t want to dive in to anything head first ITG - but I have asked a question on the county guestbook which has not appeared yet. Maybe it hasnt been updated yet - so will see if it appears tomorrow. It simply asks who the referee was for the match, and if it gets a reply my next question is to ask which club he represents.

It couldnt possibly be a referee from the same club. Just couldnt happen - must be something I`m missing!

Any Johnnies men on here that could shed some light on it?

whats my name

hey lads i need your help a group of us are going up to casement park next weekend for the match for Michaela one of our club mates is playing for the ulster team and we are planing to stay the night and hit the town after. Is there any places to stay near casement park hotels or hostels etc that you would recommend for the night doesn't have to be anything fancy just a place to lay our sore heads for a few hours if you have any recommendations could you send me info through private mail  thanks in advance lads

imtommygunn

Bannside i would guess ther's just a mistake somewhere. Apart from various levels of committee etc delegating the referee there's the guy himself - you wouldn't leave yourself open to it. I suspect that list quite old looking at it too.

No good hostels in belfast. City centre not far with a few holiday inns about so should get a hotel cheap enough.

bannside

I can see that the referees panel on the co website is out of date ITG - maybe by up to three or four years even. Thats why I dont want to jump in head first. Probably a simple enough explanation to it, as you say the guy himself surely wouldnt compromise himself. Would be good to put it to bed though. The players are talking about it themselves though and Im the one who is telling them to chill a bit - there has to be a sound enough explanation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on October 29, 2012, 11:06:02 PM
I can see that the referees panel on the co website is out of date ITG - maybe by up to three or four years even. Thats why I dont want to jump in head first. Probably a simple enough explanation to it, as you say the guy himself surely wouldnt compromise himself. Would be good to put it to bed though. The players are talking about it themselves though and Im the one who is telling them to chill a bit - there has to be a sound enough explanation.

Davy is a good mate of mine, and he's a Galls man, never been a Johnnies man, I doubt very much with the history of the two clubs that he'd be going out of his way to give the Johnnies any favours. Wasn't at the game so can't say if he made St Johns win the game or if Portglenone lost the game by playing badly when so far in front.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Thanks MR. If Davy has never been a St Johns man then thats it put to bed - period. Simple error on the county website caused some confusion.

And we did throw it away ourselves. Had enough chances to finish the contest and didnt take them. Good luck to St Johns they are a great side.

whats my name

thanks imtommygunn for the info

culchie11

Senior Football- Players Meeting + Trial

05 November 2012
the following players are requested to attend UUJ at 7pm on Tuesday 6th November
1   Gerard   Mallon   Aldergrove
2   Tiernan   Hughes   Ardoyne
3   Sean McVeigh   Ballymena
4   Peter McNicholl   Ballymena
5   Tomas   McCann   Cargin
6   Tony           Scullion   Cargin
7   Justin   Crozier   Cargin
8   Kevin O'Boyle   Cargin
9   James   Laverty   Cargin
10   Fergal   Johnston   Cargin
11   Kieran   Close   Cargin
12   Michael   McCann   Cargin
13   John           Carron   Cargin
14   Mark           Dougan   Creggan
15   Dermot McCann   Creggan
16   Ricky Johnston   Creggan
17   Martin   Johnston   Creggan
18   David   McGuckin   Creggan
19   Aiden McKeown   Creggan
20   Hugh           McNulty   Creggan
21   Conor   Murray   Lamh Dhearg
22   Paddy   Cunningham   Lamh Dhearg
23   Brendan    Herron   Lamh Dhearg
24   Declan   Lynch   Lamh Dhearg
25   John           Finucane   Lamh Dhearg
26   Michael   Herron   Lamh Dhearg
27   Ryan     Murray   Lamh Dhearg
28   Colm     Duffin   Moneyglass
29   Benny   Marron   Moneyglass
30   Niall            Delargy   Portglenone
31   Dermot McAleese   Portglenone
32   Paddy   Kelly     Portglenone
33   Paul            Doherty   Rasharkin
34   Sean            Finch   Rossa
35   Donal Armstrong   Rossa
36   Colm     Fleming   Rossa
37   Paddy   Fitzpatrick   Sarsfields
38   Mark            Sweeney   St Brigids
39   Conal   Kelly   St Johns
40   Patrick   McBride   St Johns
41   Liam            Carland   St Pauls
42   Michael     Magill   Tir na Og

Good to see alot of new faces listed for this!

Good luck to all Antrim teams in ulster this weekend!