Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: acton1 on May 23, 2012, 09:05:43 AM
NAG1, I suggest you soak your own head.  I'm not a Galls man but what they've done in the last 11 years surpasses anything done by an Antrim club before. Did they do this without any good players?

The magnificent St John's team of the 70's/80's included the incomparable Peter McGinnity and Andy McCallin as well as Micky Darragh, kevin Gough and several other top players. They won an Ulster c'ship and reached the AI final only to be beaten by an All Star Thomond team who wouldn't be allowed in the competition these days.

St Galls have won two Ulsters, reached two AI finals and won one of them. Aodhan Gallagher would grace any team in the country while Kevin and CJ are fantastic talents. On his day CJ is one of the top three forwards in Ulster - note his college performances. He may not be the most popular man with other clubs but this shouldn't detract from his talent. Andy Mc Callin and Aidan Hamill weren't exactly loved by other clubs in the 70's.

So stop being a wee bigot and get on with that soaking.   

All in bold tried their eyestrings out for their counties. Didnt complain or have to be coaxed into playing. Just put their shoulders to the wheel, not expecting to be treated differently than any other player.

CJ is not in the top 3 forwards in Ulster. Talented yes but erratic shot selection and questionable ball winning ability at that level.

Kevin again is talented but too small to really dominate at midfield at inter county. I feel he was best at midfield although he'd prob prefer the 12 role where he can win kickouts and run around doing his own thing in a free role. Never produced for the county what he did for your team and never hung about long enough to change begrudgers opinions of him. Played v well away to Kildare in Championship 2010 however.

A Gallagher has been a great servant for Antrim. Again maybe not tall/big enough to really dominate at highest level around the middle and take teams to the cleaners. Can hopefully make me eat my word on Sunday and clean out the Monaghan midfield.

Dont know if he'd start on every county team in the country though he wouldnt be too far away from most. 
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

AQMP

Re-post from main thread.  Antrim team to play Monaghan

1.  Chris Kerr (St Gall's)

2.  Anto Healey (St Gall's)
3.  Ricky Johnston (Creggan)
4.  Kevin O'Boyle (Cargin)

5.  Tony Scullion (Cargin)
6.  Justin Crozier (Cargin)
7.  James Loughery (St Brigid's)

8.  Michael McCann (Cargin)
9.  Aodhán Gallagher (St Gall's) (c)

10.  Conor Murray (Lamh Dhearg)
11.  Mark Sweeney (St Brigid's)
12.  Mark McAleese (Portglenone)

13.  Paddy Cunningham (Lamh Dhearg)
14.  Michael Magill (Randalstown)
15.  Tomas McCann (Cargin)

Subs:

16.  Willie McSorley (St Brigid's)
17.  Patrick Gallagher (Glenavy)
18.  Sean Finch (O'Donovan Rossa)
19.  Deaghlán O'Hagan (St Brigid's)
20.  Aaron Douglas (St John's)
21.  Conal Kelly (St John's)
22.  Simon McDonagh (St John's)
23.  Ryan Murray (Lamh Dhearg)
24.  Owen Gallagher (Glenavy)
25.  Kevin Brady (Moneyglass)
26.  Brian Neeson (St John's)
27.  Michael Armstrong (O'Donovan Rossa)
28.  Patrick McBride (St John's)
29.  Colm Duffin (Moneyglass)
30.  John Carron (Cargin)
31.  Declan Lynch (Lamh Dhearg)

CitySlicker11

One thing is for sure - Not much experience on the Bench for Antrim. Hope that a young and determined Antrim side can pull of a victory in this one as the underdogs.

manballandall

Let's just say that won't be the antrim team starting on sunday. You heard it here first

CitySlicker11

number 11,12 or 13 not starting?? They would be the only ones I can see being replaced from the start.

manballandall

More positional than personnel change

bannside

Give us a clue. Are they going to drop a forward back and play with an extra defender!!!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: bannside on May 25, 2012, 09:13:35 AM
Give us a clue. Are they going to drop a forward back and play with an extra defender!!!!

Surely not!

Milltown Row2

Extra man in defence only brings the other team into the game and puts you on the back foot. You'd need a serious forward line to be able to do that and we don't. I don't mind a player playing between the midfield and half forward as he can link up with the FF line.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

subterranean saffron

We don't have a serious forward line true, but if you work of the thinking that Loughrey will be playing 12 (a fair assumption given he scored 2-2 in the last game) then our defence looks fairly weak also. Wouldn't blame Baker if he brought a man back, probably Sweeney as he did it throughout the league. What worries me is the thought of more 'extra' men back there as one is enough. We'll wait and see. Two poor enough teams on the wider scale of things but we know well what one win can do for momentum#saffronsummer2012

manballandall

The full back line will all be from the same club.

Our captain will line out at corner forward and sweeney the other corner but deployed as a sweeper

SambaSaffron

Quote from: manballandall on May 25, 2012, 11:59:10 AM
The full back line will all be from the same club.

Our captain will line out at corner forward and sweeney the other corner but deployed as a sweeper
I think the weather is getting to you.

CentreHalfBack

New season - new reason

bannside

Up & at them Antrim. It might not be pretty to watch, but we definitely need to believe this is winnable.

Hope Paul Mc Flynn`s championship mentality/pedigree can rub off on the players - this is the day that matters. Good vibes from the camp, and a good dry ball will suit us too. Come on the lads!

CitySlicker11

Best of luck to Antrim minor & senior footballers today in Clones!