Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2012, 09:17:22 AM
Justin Crozier to me is still a  bit of an enigma. For a boy that would have been getting college all stars, winning sigersons etc. I would have hoped for a lot more from. I think he's still relatively young and will come good but I wouldn't have him in a best 15 ever. Definitely one of our better players but not a best 15 ever - I think he needs to be put into a settled position and stick there.

Loughrey probably could do with a few more years too.

The past ones would be hard to argue with mind. Alec McQuillan and boys like that would probably merit places on it.

Which Kelly SS2?

Sean, although I feel he didn't fulfill his potential in the saffron jersey. Would probably have a half back line with three from four Kelly, Laverty, McQuillan and Charlie McStravick.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

Ah yes of course.

I would tend to agree. I think in his better years we played him at corner back which didn't suit him then when he was out and came back he was shipped around so never got the best from him. For St Galls his displays at half back were as good as anyyou'd see.

For some reason I had in my head you meant John Kelly - played for st johns if I remember correctly.

Laverty is before my time, I think, so don't know much about him. The rest I wouldn't disagree with.

shawshank

For me Alex Mc Quillian is a cert. What about Stephen Mulvenna, only man in Antrim with a senior county football winners medal, also played for Ulster. Paul Mc erlean was another , but had a short career. Any Galls men ?

Milltown Row2

Probably no Naomh Galls men due to the fact we played as a team over the years as opposed to teams having star stand out individuals.

In the early eighties we competed in two Ulster Finals (winning one) and in the past 11 years we have done alright in that department also, but being successful at club level has probably had a bad knock on affect with the County set up. If you ask ten different people you'll get ten different teams.

Who compiled this?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffron sam2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2012, 12:19:36 PM
Probably no Naomh Galls men due to the fact we played as a team over the years as opposed to teams having star stand out individuals.

In the early eighties we competed in two Ulster Finals (winning one) and in the past 11 years we have done alright in that department also, but being successful at club level has probably had a bad knock on affect with the County set up. If you ask ten different people you'll get ten different teams.

Who compiled this?

Exactly the same problem Crossmaglen and Armagh have.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 16, 2012, 02:58:29 PM

Who compiled this?

I was trying to be smart :o

(Must work harder)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffron sam2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2012, 03:08:56 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 16, 2012, 02:58:29 PM

Who compiled this?

I was trying to be smart :o

(Must work harder)

I thought you would use the dual player line.

brendanbelfast

McErlean played for 11 seasons. hardly a short career.

Mulvenna? no way. Looked the part, contributed little.

acton1

Andy McCallin, Micky Darragh, Kevin Madden and CJ McGourty the only top drawer Antrim forwards in the last 40 yesrs. 

Only top class players of current era are CJ and Kevin McGourty and Aodhan Gallagher - Fact!

Apologies to:-

JP O'Kane
Kevin Gough
Pat Armstrong
J McKiernaqn
Frank fitzsimmons
Gerry Mc Cann
Justin Crozier
James Loughrey
Donal Laverty
Tony McAtamney
Michael McCann
Aidan Hammll

not necessarily in that order

bannside

What are you apologising for?

Saffrongael

Quote from: acton1 on May 17, 2012, 03:56:22 PM
Andy McCallin, Micky Darragh, Kevin Madden and CJ McGourty the only top drawer Antrim forwards in the last 40 yesrs. 

Only top class players of current era are CJ and Kevin McGourty and Aodhan Gallagher - Fact!

JP O'Kane
Kevin Gough
Pat Armstrong
J McKiernaqn
Frank fitzsimmons
Gerry Mc Cann
Justin Crozier
James Loughrey
Donal Laverty
Tony McAtamney
Michael McCann
Aidan Hammll

Is your favourite colour blue ? What has Kevin McGourty done for Antrim?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

manballandall

The best thing kevin done for antrim was stop playing. Drama queen

NAG1

Quote from: acton1 on May 17, 2012, 03:56:22 PM

JP O'Kane
Kevin Gough
Pat Armstrong
J McKiernaqn
Frank fitzsimmons
Gerry Mc Cann
Justin Crozier
James Loughrey
Donal Laverty
Tony McAtamney
Michael McCann
Aidan Hammll

Away and soak your head, to even mention CJ or Kevin in this company in completely laughable

DearyMe

Team this weekend anyone?

Thoughts?
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

acton1

NAG1, I suggest you soak your own head.  I'm not a Galls man but what they've done in the last 11 years surpasses anything done by an Antrim club before. Did they do this without any good players?

The magnificent St John's team of the 70's/80's included the incomparable Peter McGinnity and Andy McCallin as well as Micky Darragh, kevin Gough and several other top players. They won an Ulster c'ship and reached the AI final only to be beaten by an All Star Thomond team who wouldn't be allowed in the competition these days.

St Galls have won two Ulsters, reached two AI finals and won one of them. Aodhan Gallagher would grace any team in the country while Kevin and CJ are fantastic talents. On his day CJ is one of the top three forwards in Ulster - note his college performances. He may not be the most popular man with other clubs but this shouldn't detract from his talent. Andy Mc Callin and Aidan Hamill weren't exactly loved by other clubs in the 70's.

So stop being a wee bigot and get on with that soaking.