Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

International Rules Panel

Again no Antrim men--to my mind none have even ever went to a Trial for same --am i right?

Anyone know of anyone who's ever been asked to a trial?

Are we the only county in Ireland never to have a representative?

Who do people feel would merit inclusion?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2011, 10:40:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 10:27:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2011, 10:17:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 10:01:26 PM
It is a pity they didn't win the All Ireland, and if you had have seen the game you'd have realised we were hammered by a great team from Kilkenny. Would be foolish to say it had a bearing on their self belief as they bounced back with beating Dunloy two years later.

You're probably correct as I wasn't there. I've followed their fortunes since that and I think they won only one match in the senior grade, were relegated and didn't cut the mustard in the Intermediate this year. They were probably flying that year.

As I'm sure you are aware, they were beaten last week in the semi finals, in their first year in senior they (of course you know this about the Kilkenny hurling) they play in groups. They had James Stephens who got to the final that year and this year and were only beat by a point in that group match, they also ran the other senior teams close in that group, but if you don't win the play off games you get relegated.

The standard as you already know cause you have an interest in Kilkenny hurling and in particular St. Lachtain's is of a higher standard that Antrim hurling, also they only play hurling as you'd know that also so your point is what?

Agree with everything you said. Galls were just unlucky to come up against that team. In previous years a London team and a Westmeath team won that competition.

Yes a Westmeath senior team as they play in the intermediate Championship when they win their senior championship. But you would have know that also.

Dog with a bone ;D

You should try hurling, your interest is massive (in google search) in hurling and could be put to good use in Glenavy

The London team had some great players also, Sean Kelly of Rossa/Gortnamona was also on that team that was littered with  players from good hurling counties, again you'd know that. (another search please)

We could go all night with this childish behaviour. Still won't change a thing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: bhoy1888 on October 05, 2011, 09:57:45 PM
just after wittnesing the fix of the year i wonder how much aghogill paid st galls tonight to prevent them being sent into div 2 and for st galls to score 1 point in the second half tells its own story.it hasnt been the first time that they got a favour and prob wont be the last hold your heads down in shame

What sort of team did St Gall's have out? They mightn't have cared much about the result, but why would they look to do Ahoghill a favour? (or Moneyglass a dis-favour?).

Looks like Cargin will have to beat Lamh Dhearg in the last match of the season to win the league! Will the Lamhs do them a favour I wonder?  ;D ;D ;D

imtommygunn

Quote from: Gold on October 05, 2011, 10:48:11 PM

Again no Antrim men--to my mind none have even ever went to a Trial for same --am i right?

The only one I think you could consider would be James Loughrey. I'm not sure the game would suit him though.

Of anyone else maybe Michael McCann?

Forwards in that game would need to be fit to make marks and I don't think we've many boys who fit that bill.

Milltown Row2

We've one game left and can finish on 29 points, Cargin can finish on 30 with the two games they have left against Lamh's and Creggan

I'm sure Cargin will go all out to win the league and stop us from winning the double :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 11:04:10 PM
We've one game left and can finish on 29 points, Cargin can finish on 30 with the two games they have left against Lamh's and Creggan

I'm sure Cargin will go all out to win the league and stop us from winning the double :P

The current league table says St Gall's would have 28 pts if they beat Aghagallon and Cargin 26pts if they beat Creggan. Which would mean they would need to beat Lamh Dhearg to win on points difference. No? (unless you know of updates/corrections to the table MR?)

St Galls  16 13 3 0 280 197 83 26
Cargin  16 12 4 0 342 193 149 24

aontroim

Currently (after St. Galls draw tonight) they have 27pts and a win v Aghagallon = 29pts

Cargin are on 24pts - 2 wins leaves them max 28pts

Galls only have to beat Aghagallon to win the league.

ONeill

Jeepers you're being a bit defensive there Milltown. For the third time I agree with you. I just think that loss in the AI Intermediate Final was the chance for those players to achieve greatness in that code and it was just a pity things didn't work out. It's also possible that their lack of belief when they had the Dall bate can be traced back to the same lack of conviction instilled in them back then against St Lachtains. But sure that's the luck of the draw I suppose.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 05, 2011, 11:00:51 PM
Quote from: Gold on October 05, 2011, 10:48:11 PM

The only one I think you could consider would be James Loughrey. I'm not sure the game would suit him though.

Of anyone else maybe Michael McCann?

Forwards in that game would need to be fit to make marks and I don't think we've many boys who fit that bill.

Loughrey would be well suited IMO. McCann would be good for the fighting bits  ;D

aontroim

Can none of the Irish Aussie Rules players play for Ireland?  Niall McKeever?

Milltown Row2

That's the top of the table and does not have tonight's result in. If you look at the bottom of the games to play part you'll see we 'still have to play Ahoghill'

We have played 17 games one to play.

On another note, did we fix our game with Rasharkin also?

St Galls   0-7   3-11   Rasharkin   Rasharkin   13/04/2011   19:00   Round 1

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: aontroim on October 05, 2011, 11:12:22 PM
Currently (after St. Galls draw tonight) they have 27pts and a win v Aghagallon = 29pts

Cargin are on 24pts - 2 wins leaves them max 28pts

Galls only have to beat Aghagallon to win the league.

Ah, it was a draw? No conspiracies needed then. If all both teams need is a draw then a draw is almost inevitable...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2011, 11:12:45 PM
Jeepers you're being a bit defensive there Milltown. For the third time I agree with you. I just think that loss in the AI Intermediate Final was the chance for those players to achieve greatness in that code and it was just a pity things didn't work out. It's also possible that their lack of belief when they had the Dall bate can be traced back to the same lack of conviction instilled in them back then against St Lachtains. But sure that's the luck of the draw I suppose.

You know they beat Dunloy this year? It wasn't a fluke either as it had to go to a second match were (had you been there) they won handy. Dunloy as you know (Christ your hurling knowledge is as good as mine) have been the main contenders for the senior championship for close to twenty years.

Are you implying they had no belief leading up to the All Ireland championship that year? In the All Ireland semi final we were 10/1 to beat the Galway Champions. Had you been there (surprised you weren't because of your fascination with all things hurling) you would have seen plenty of belief. Off to bed, but please continue and we will catch up at lunchtime tomorrow. Make a hurler outta yet

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 11:15:22 PM
On another note, did we fix our game with Rasharkin also?

St Galls   0-7   3-11   Rasharkin   Rasharkin   13/04/2011   19:00   Round 1

No, you just played all the wannabe blow-ins that day  ;D

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 11:26:06 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2011, 11:12:45 PM

You know they beat Dunloy this year? It wasn't a fluke either as it had to go to a second match were (had you been there) they won handy. Dunloy as you know (Christ your hurling knowledge is as good as mine) have been the main contenders for the senior championship for close to twenty years.

Are you implying they had no belief leading up to the All Ireland championship that year? In the All Ireland semi final we were 10/1 to beat the Galway Champions. Had you been there (surprised you weren't because of your fascination with all things hurling) you would have seen plenty of belief. Off to bed, but please continue and we will catch up at lunchtime tomorrow. Make a hurler outta yet

Just a point about the IM from 2010 - no amount of belief or conviction would have won that game. We were going up against an infinitely superior hurling team, captained by Mickey Kavanagh and with several others throughout the team who had numerous underage inter-county All-Ireland medals and a few who had knocked about KK senior panels in their time.