Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skat man

hopefully the irish news are correct on oran murduck . has to start senior game for me  . a win in ulster would be huge for the senior panel , when was our last win ?

Ed Hardy

I think the 26 players have to be named to Croke Park this morning, I wonder if there will be a surprise or two on it?

snoopdog

If I had to make the call I'd leave Odhran Murdock for the U20 Final. Obviously a better chance of winning an Ulster title. But what would I know. 

ardtole

As someone mentioned earlier it is nearly impossible to predict the 1st 15. Around 40 players used in the league, some players tried in multiple positions, there is genuine competition for places and strength in depth.

I would imagine the injuries to Mark Walsh and Owen Costello have forced Lavertys hand in starting Odhran Murdock v Donegal.

ardtole

Niall Donnelly was also injured recently, I'm not sure if he is available for the weekend either.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on April 19, 2023, 09:33:59 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on April 19, 2023, 06:20:17 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 19, 2023, 03:09:06 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on April 19, 2023, 01:11:55 PM
Down draw sales are meant to be down this year

I thought it was poorly advertised, I'm not living at home so I wouldn't be directly in contact with the club, but I just got an email on Monday or Tuesday from the county board saying it has to be paid by Friday.

I think they could have sent an email a month ago followed by the most recent one.

The club's draw is a massive success story for DownGAA and Down clubs . Our club can not speak highly enough of those that run this draw within our club and in the county office . James and Mary Mcgrath have taken on an unbelievable  burden in administration of the draw and have made an outstanding contribution  to the county but particularly to individual clubs . This has brought Literally £millions into GAA in the county, and you can still buy online tonight Ardtole if u want.

Fully agree... it's been a proper success story and exceptionally well run.

It deserves to be supported. Indeed by this stage I thought it would be close to 75-85% auto renewals. I'm guessing some of the big selling clubs have gone down a different route, or the people in those clubs who drove  it, have moved on.

I cannot fathom why more clubs don't push it as its a good draw and a win win for club and county. But getting volunteers to push it could be the problem.

Truth hurts

I think Laverty and Gallagher should have a pact to play their players in both. Test the Ulster council and see the consequences.

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 20, 2023, 09:56:01 AM
I think Laverty and Gallagher should have a pact to play their players in both. Test the Ulster council and see the consequences.

Why do GAA people have such difficulty in accepting the rules of a competition?

snoopdog

Quote from: thewobbler on April 20, 2023, 10:06:45 AM

Prob because the GAA change the rules  too often. The challenging suspensions is the main one. You don't see that in other sports.

rosskarr

A Pact?

Godsown

Quote from: ardtole on April 19, 2023, 09:03:09 PM
I do intend to buy one, I like the fact my own club benefits directly from it as well. I just think next year they could provide a bit more notice than 3 or 4 days. Maybe if I was living in Ardglass I'd have been more aware of it.
I think in fairness the promo for this has been excellent and out well in advance, probably since January through clubs and social media. Is an excellent fundraiser but cost of living issue definitely having effect

Truth hurts

You should have told your u15 mentors and supporters that before they went to the Feile  :D :D

Sorry I couldn't resist  ;D

skat man

have to say that was a good reply TH  ;D

johnnycool

Similar happened Cork and Limerick U20 hurlers last year with one of the Limerick hurlers missing out on the U20 AI final as he'd played for the senior hurlers in a few games, mostly as a sub.

Croke Park aren't going to change now and TBH it's a rule I agree with.

downman94

Mooney back in the squad im hearing, along with young mcpolin from drumgath.