Weather

Started by Lucius Fox, August 07, 2008, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 12:32:02 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on Today at 10:45:28 AMGlobal warming my hole, cold wet and miserable March.

The spuds will be poor this year again.

We've just stumped out quite a load of £££ to redrain our pitch and the lad doing it struggled to get on it due to the rain, he's most of the main drains in, just needs to come back and finish the sand slitting over the top dressing once it's knitted a bit better.

Never been so persistently wet this winter that I can remember...

Farmers have to "watch, hope and pray" for a "sweet spot" of dry weather in the coming weeks or many will have to debate whether to plant at all this year.

As continuous rainfall adds to already saturated ground, many big and small potato farmers are warning that the Irish favourite variety of Rooster may be in scarce supply by June.

"We are still waiting to get planting. We should have some potatoes already planted for supply to Tayto," said Meath farmer Ivan Curran from his holding in Stamullen.

Mr Curran yields 11,000 tonnes of potatoes in a good year but last year was the worst year for rain he has seen in his 40 years in agriculture.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

clarshack

Quote from: RedHand88 on Today at 01:27:22 PMHeavy snow now lying in east Tyrone. I'm serious.

There was very heavy snow on the last day of March back in 2010 but at least then that was the end of the bad weather until the big freeze at the end of that year.

north_antrim_hound

A sheep farmer I know is in middle of lambing. He put the new lambs out as he always does and found three dead yesterday morning. He brought them all in again as it's just to cold for them. It's Baltic up here.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on Today at 01:47:36 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 12:32:02 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on Today at 10:45:28 AMGlobal warming my hole, cold wet and miserable March.

The spuds will be poor this year again.

We've just stumped out quite a load of £££ to redrain our pitch and the lad doing it struggled to get on it due to the rain, he's most of the main drains in, just needs to come back and finish the sand slitting over the top dressing once it's knitted a bit better.

Never been so persistently wet this winter that I can remember...

Farmers have to "watch, hope and pray" for a "sweet spot" of dry weather in the coming weeks or many will have to debate whether to plant at all this year.

As continuous rainfall adds to already saturated ground, many big and small potato farmers are warning that the Irish favourite variety of Rooster may be in scarce supply by June.

"We are still waiting to get planting. We should have some potatoes already planted for supply to Tayto," said Meath farmer Ivan Curran from his holding in Stamullen.

Mr Curran yields 11,000 tonnes of potatoes in a good year but last year was the worst year for rain he has seen in his 40 years in agriculture.
Great, now the crisps will be going up in price.

Soon won't have change from a tenner for a pint snd bag of crisps ffs

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on Today at 02:15:55 PMA sheep farmer I know is in middle of lambing. He put the new lambs out as he always does and found three dead yesterday morning. He brought them all in again as it's just to cold for them. It's Baltic up here.

Talking to some sheep farmers yesterday and today, the amount of new lambs dying in the wet and cold conditions is unprecedented he said, he was a brave age so would plenty of seasons of knowledge on lambing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Except for the fact last year was the hottest on record globally.

Some people need to understand weather and climate.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

clarshack

Quote from: trueblue1234 on Today at 04:14:13 PM

Not here it wasn't as I can mind debating whether (pardon the pun) or not to put on the fire last Summer which i'd never done in any summer prior.
Doesn't Weather refer to short term atmospheric conditions? cos it's been shite for a good while now.

Sportacus

Quote from: clarshack on Today at 04:22:17 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on Today at 04:14:13 PM

Not here it wasn't as I can mind debating whether (pardon the pun) or not to put on the fire last Summer which i'd never done in any summer prior.
Doesn't Weather refer to short term atmospheric conditions? cos it's been shite for a good while now.
It was the warmest year on record in Ireland.