2021 Leinster Senior Football Championship

Started by SCFC, June 22, 2021, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

I hope I'm wrong but I fear this could be a short thread.
Anyway, we play Westmeath on Sunday week. Massive improvement from our league displays needed if we are to trouble them.

redsetanta

Don't see it.

Is it straight knockout this year or are there qualifiers. Better off if there are no qualifiers. Can't see them as being of any benefit to us.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: redsetanta on June 22, 2021, 01:01:27 PM
Don't see it.

Is it straight knockout this year or are there qualifiers. Better off if there are no qualifiers. Can't see them as being of any benefit to us.

Straight knockout.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

redsetanta

At least the football championship in the county won't be held up. 2020 can be finished and then get started with this years championship. It will be unusual to have two senior football champions within the space of a couple of months.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The PRO

Any thoughts on team for Sunday?
Corbett in goals, probably Piggott, Timmons and Dillon on full back line. Half back line not as clear. Think Collins, Begley and O'Sullivan are the favourites with Buggie pushing them. Lillis and JOL in the middle. 2 Kingstons and Evan in the forwards and anyone's guess on the rest of the team. Hope Colm Murphy is in from the start and would also lean towards Gary Walsh and maybe Scully.

Laois Rising

We are clearly struggling from numbers 5-12. Our midfield pairing struggles at this level against stronger counties while we do not have any really outstanding half-backs or half-forward at our disposal- the fact that any one of 7/8 lads could start in the half back line the next day proves this point.

Westmeath have got their house in order this season and last. The team that they have now has developed nicely in that time and have proved themselves capable of putting it up to the tops teams e.g. competed well with Meath, Cork and Mayo in the league this year and challenged Dublin as well as any team in the championship last year. They were very unfortunate to lose to Cork and get relegated to division 3 because they were better team for large parts of that game. I see Westmeath running out comfortable 5-6 point winners.

On the flip side, all going well we can then look forward to two potentially exciting county semi-finals (hopefully none of the remaining teams have gone off the boil since last year).   

blueandwhite1

Isn't the definition of madness trying the same thing over and over and then lamenting the same results?

I personally would like to see much more of the younger cohort starting and take risks. They are all likely to be in next years starting setup anyway and we are not likely to win a Leinster. Give them a chance.

A slow team on a fast day can only mean one outcome.

The PRO

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 30, 2021, 04:55:17 PM
Isn't the definition of madness trying the same thing over and over and then lamenting the same results?

I personally would like to see much more of the younger cohort starting and take risks. They are all likely to be in next years starting setup anyway and we are not likely to win a Leinster. Give them a chance.

A slow team on a fast day can only mean one outcome.
I wouldn't disagree but was more trying to predict the team in my post above. I'd like to see Lacey, Barry and O'Flynn start

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Chrimtain

Not much enthusiasm for the match tomorrow. Are we no hopers?

town1980

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I don't think we're no hoppers today, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if we win this one. Laois teams have a habit of pulling out a win when least expected and hopefully today is one of those days.
I think with the players we have we are much better than we seemed in the league. We just have to start getting things right on the field and on the sideline. Quirk and  Co. need a win badly or it could be goodbye to yet another manager...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

recyclebin

GAAGO gone up to €8! Should have bought the pass for €25.

High Fielder

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 03, 2021, 07:12:25 PM
Not much enthusiasm for the match tomorrow. Are we no hopers?

Westmeath aren't great but they're better than us based on performances in the league. The overall scheme of things makes winning or losing irrelevant and Quirke will get the blame when we lose to whoever it is we will lose to. I have no enthusiasm at all for this but obviously I want Laois to win any game they play in. Can't see it but good luck to the lads anyway

Andy06

Well this is desperate.
Seeing as Westmeath will be in Div 3 next year, it could be a very quick drop back to Div 4 if we continue like this.
I think next year is time to say thanks and farewell to the likes of Lillis and O'Loughlin. Or at least keep them on as options from the bench. They have shown time and again this year they dont have the legs for a full game in what is the most athletically required position in the field. Fantastic servants, but its time to move on even if the replacements dont have them same level of skill if they are more mobile at least build with them.
Lillis also goes and decides to shove a lad in the head when he is already on a yellow card and just completely rail roaded the rest of his team mates, like the levels of stupidity are just off the scale.