Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Cavan19

Quote from: thewobbler on April 19, 2024, 01:22:29 PMIt's odd isn't it?

Every single last person involved in sport knows that protracted knockout competitions are a steaming pile of dung until the element of jeopardy arrives.

And yet all around Ireland, all around the world, we keep introducing and extending these formats.

Other sports can at least use professionalism and a need for paying spectators as their excuse.

We cannot.

How much do the spectators get paid>?

Armagh18

I don't want group games at all but if you have then you need to prelim qf so that teams that lose their first 2 games have something to play for.

thewobbler

Quote from: JoG2 on April 19, 2024, 02:28:37 PM

Every single last person involved in sport knows that protracted knockout competitions are a steaming pile of dung until the element of jeopardy arrives.

And yet all around Ireland, all around the world, we keep introducing and extending these formats.

Other sports can at least use professionalism and a need for paying spectators as their excuse.

We cannot.

Well considering 85% approx of money generated filters down to the clubs, we all win?

Where's that figure coming from?

HQ is clearly contributing to player injury insurance. And it pays for the IT infrastructure (Foireann).

But I did a 5 year stretch as a treasurer until recently. And i don't actually recall a direct benefit coming from HQ during that time.

Was I filling in the wrong forms?

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on April 19, 2024, 03:19:46 PM

We cannot.

Well considering 85% approx of money generated filters down to the clubs, we all win?

HQ is clearly contributing to player injury insurance. And it pays for the IT infrastructure (Foireann).

But I did a 5 year stretch as a treasurer until recently. And i don't actually recall a direct benefit coming from HQ during that time.

Jarlath Burns interview the other day he said 83cent/penny of every pound/euro the gaa make goes back to clubs. No idea if thats accurate or where the money is seen!

JoG2

We cannot.

Jarly snr in an interview a week or two ago

Rossfan

Ahh it's just the "Nordies against change" bellyaching again.

The move from 21 aside to 17 aside was the start of the slippery slope I tell ya.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: Rossfan on April 19, 2024, 04:21:25 PMAhh it's just the "Nordies against change" bellyaching again.

The move from 21 aside to 17 aside was the start of the slippery slope I tell ya.

I am one "Nordie" who has no issue with change - but change the things that are not working.
Ulster Championship works - so why change it? (Antrim/Fermanagh might disagree granted)
Change what needs to be changed in other provinces to improve their championship.
Personally I don't like the group stages and didn't like the Super 8s.
Revert to back door maybe, but like I've said before, there's no magic solution for it all.

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 19, 2024, 04:21:25 PMAhh it's just the "Nordies against change" bellyaching again.

It has been zero days since the Freestarters were last at it

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 19, 2024, 04:01:46 PM

We cannot.

Jarlath Burns interview the other day he said 83cent/penny of every pound/euro the gaa make goes back to clubs. No idea if thats accurate or where the money is seen!

I would say that's a steaming pile of dung. I don't remember our club getting anything from GAA so maybe Jarlath can elaborate. Even on grants its all from government

Rossfan

Not sure how you improve the Championships in the other Provinces...I presume you mean Leinster and Munster? As we Westies aren't doing too bad and hopefully Sligo on the rise.
Munster has 5 Hurley Counties so Kerry will usually saunter through but get a challenge from occasionally good Cork teams.
Only issue is which will come first Kerry's 100th or Cork's 50th.
Leinster is 3 training spins for Dublin as they chase their 19th in 20 years.....

Virtually all team sports have group and knock out stages so good to see the GAA following suit.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on April 19, 2024, 05:05:22 PMNot sure how you improve the Championships in the other Provinces...I presume you mean Leinster and Munster? As we Westies aren't doing too bad and hopefully Sligo on the rise.
Munster has 5 Hurley Counties so Kerry will usually saunter through but get a challenge from occasionally good Cork teams.
Only issue is which will come first Kerry's 100th or Cork's 50th.
Leinster is 3 training spins for Dublin as they chase their 19th in 20 years.....

Virtually all team sports have group and knock out stages so good to see the GAA following suit.
Other Leinster counties are a disgrace so no point giving out about Dublin until their houses are in order. Cork if they get the finger out can challenge Kerry.

Eire90

having only two teams that can realistically win a province is still not good enough imo if the munster switch beetween cork and kerry each year it still be boring.

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on April 20, 2024, 02:19:09 AMhaving only two teams that can realistically win a province is still not good enough imo if the munster switch beetween cork and kerry each year it still be boring.
Well its better than only Kerry. Given football is the poor relation in most of Munster it's what you're going to get. Look at soccer. For the last 30 years it's been United+1 with a realistic chance or else City+1 more recently.

Tones

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 19, 2024, 03:19:00 PMI don't want group games at all but if you have then you need to prelim qf so that teams that lose their first 2 games have something to play for.

Talk about rewarding failure,if you lose your first two games in a 3 game format don't let door hit you on the way out. This is the issue one of 3 counties are going win Sam but give the rest loads of game to give them a warm fuzzy feeling.

Armagh18

Quote from: Tones on April 20, 2024, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 19, 2024, 03:19:00 PMI don't want group games at all but if you have then you need to prelim qf so that teams that lose their first 2 games have something to play for.

Talk about rewarding failure,if you lose your first two games in a 3 game format don't let door hit you on the way out. This is the issue one of 3 counties are going win Sam but give the rest loads of game to give them a warm fuzzy feeling.
You're missing the point. It's to stop dead rubbers. No good if theres a team with nothing to play for on the last day. Surely you can work that out.

Maybe after the provincials the 16 Sam teams go into a knock out championship with there being a back door for the first two rounds, Armagh used to do it that way and i thought it worked well. Do the same for the Tailteann.