Let's all laugh at Totteringham

Started by ONeill, August 11, 2007, 02:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie stubbs

thought harry would do a good job to be honest got off to a flyer but things seem to have went pear shaped.  definately too good to go down though i would imagine.  liverpool are top of the table and the following would definately be pushing for a place or start for them on a regular basis:  corluka, king, woodgate, bentley, lennon, modric, defoe.  maybe rafas not as bad as some people make him out to be?  think spurs main problem is that harry doesnt know the best team/formation, which is understandable as spurs have alot of players of similiar standard p;laying in the same position eg ziokora, jenas, huddlestone, palacios or lennon/bentley

AZOffaly

Quote from: charlie stubbs on January 22, 2009, 11:59:25 AM
thought harry would do a good job to be honest got off to a flyer but things seem to have went pear shaped.  definately too good to go down though i would imagine.  liverpool are top of the table and the following would definately be pushing for a place or start for them on a regular basis:  corluka, king, woodgate, bentley, lennon, modric, defoe.  maybe rafas not as bad as some people make him out to be?  think spurs main problem is that harry doesnt know the best team/formation, which is understandable as spurs have alot of players of similiar standard p;laying in the same position eg ziokora, jenas, huddlestone, palacios or lennon/bentley

What? Corluka maybe. King/Woodgate instead of Carragher/Agger/Skrtel/Hypiia? No thanks. Bentley? Nope. Lennon. Not now. Modric? Instead of Gerrard? Defoe? Torres?

thewobbler

To be honest AZ, that's some myopic nonsense. You could replace 8 of Liverpool's players with cardboard cut-outs and it wouldn't amtter, because Gerrard, Torres and Reina carry them everywhere they go.

Corluka and Hutton would both be better than all Liverpool's full-backs put together. Woodgate is better than any of Carragher/Agger/Skrtel/Hyppia. Not King though, he's done. In the form Dawson is in, he would be knocking on the door.

Lennon would be a shoo-in, and Bentley in any sort of form would be an improvement on whoever is marooned on Liverpool's right.

The jury is out on Modric and Bale, but either would comfortably get 25 games a year at Liverpool.

Minder

Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2009, 02:52:43 PM
To be honest AZ, that's some myopic nonsense. You could replace 8 of Liverpool's players with cardboard cut-outs and it wouldn't amtter, because Gerrard, Torres and Reina carry them everywhere they go.

Corluka and Hutton would both be better than all Liverpool's full-backs put together. Woodgate is better than any of Carragher/Agger/Skrtel/Hyppia. Not King though, he's done. In the form Dawson is in, he would be knocking on the door.

Lennon would be a shoo-in, and Bentley in any sort of form would be an improvement on whoever is marooned on Liverpool's right.

The jury is out on Modric and Bale, but either would comfortably get 25 games a year at Liverpool.

One of the most ridiculous statements i have read on this board in a while, and that is saying something.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Billys Boots

QuoteGerrard, Torres and Reina carry them everywhere they go.

Alonso should be added to that list - on his own though.  Riera isn't bad either, but not top drawer yet.  

The full-backs will cost Liverpool the title this year - they're being targetted by everyone, especially at Anfield.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Minder

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 22, 2009, 02:57:18 PM
QuoteGerrard, Torres and Reina carry them everywhere they go.

Alonso should be added to that list - on his own though.  Riera isn't bad either, but not top drawer yet.  

The full-backs will cost Liverpool the title this year - they're being targetted by everyone, especially at Anfield.

They wont, Liverpools inability to break down teams that "park the bus" , mainly at Anfield, will be the major factor, Stoke (twice), West Ham etc, that and negative tactics from Mr Benitez, example - not playing a recognised striker against Stoke (a).

Rossie11

Quotethink spurs main problem is that harry doesnt know the best team/formation
The biggest problem is that there is a core of players there who believe their own hype and are weak mentally.
They ousted Ramos by not trying a leg.
Darren Bent one of highest paid players in the world reckoned Ramos didnt rate him highly enough so he sulked
They burst their ass for Harry for a few weeks cause he put the arm round them and told them how great they were.
Now the novelty has worn off they are back to square one.
Harry even said he needed men to stand up from now until the end of the season.
He will do well find them in that squad.

charlie stubbs

few liverpool supporters need to lose the tinted glasses im afraid.  corluka is a very good right back in anyones terms.  would have him ahead of arbeloa any day of the week.  bentley and lennon may be inconsistent and to the same degree so is modric.  but when you need a goal at anfield against stoke are you trying to say you would have diggler ahead of lennon or bentley, to simply lay the ball back to the full back.  at least lennon will beat a man and add neccessary pace and bentley and modric can both make things happen, that mascherano(who i do rate highly esp for away games) and lucas simply wont.  if you are playing 2 up top defoe would get 20 plus games.  guarantees goals especially at home.  AZ are you trying to tell me woodgate isnt better than hyppia at this stage??catch a grip.  sami has been a great servant for liverpool over the years a complete legend but you can see the legs going at this stage.  definately the 4th best centre half at anfield at moment

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: charlie stubbs on January 22, 2009, 03:22:50 PM
few liverpool supporters need to lose the tinted glasses im afraid.  corluka is a very good right back in anyones terms.  would have him ahead of arbeloa any day of the week.  bentley and lennon may be inconsistent and to the same degree so is modric.  but when you need a goal at anfield against stoke are you trying to say you would have diggler ahead of lennon or bentley, to simply lay the ball back to the full back.  at least lennon will beat a man and add neccessary pace and bentley and modric can both make things happen, that mascherano(who i do rate highly esp for away games) and lucas simply wont.  if you are playing 2 up top defoe would get 20 plus games.  guarantees goals especially at home.  AZ are you trying to tell me woodgate isnt better than hyppia at this stage??catch a grip.  sami has been a great servant for liverpool over the years a complete legend but you can see the legs going at this stage.  definately the 4th best centre half at anfield at moment

You are comparing two attacking midfielders to 2 defensive midfielders  ???

Minder

So in conclusion a team at the top of the EPL are worse than a team at the bottom........

thewobbler

QuoteOne of the most ridiculous statements i have read on this board in a while, and that is saying something.

It's not even over the top, let alone ridiculous. Liverpool's centre-halves enjoy the bonus of sitting behind a five-man midfield in a defensive shape, with two dedicated defensive midfielders and non-attacking full-backs. They've the easiest job in football.

Woodgate is a simple, effective defender, and more than proficient at every aspect of the game; one who almost never makes a mistake. He is probably the only defender in England who complete nullifies Didier Drogba.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 22, 2009, 03:43:25 PM

You are comparing two attacking midfielders to 2 defensive midfielders  ???

so when a team parks the bus and you need to break them down you would play 2 defensive midfielders...

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Minder on January 22, 2009, 03:46:14 PM

So in conclusion a team at the top of the EPL are worse than a team at the bottom........

where did i say that?  i am simply saying that tottenham have a team that should be competing with the like of aston villa in an attempt to break into the top 4.  I am saying that spurs have a number of players that could/should play at a higher level and they are underachieving, possibly due to attitude or mismanagement.  it is testament to the management skills of rafa that liverpool have done so well this season.  we have terrific players like carragher, reina, alonso, gerrard, torres but whenever these core players are injured/unavailable the back up simply isnt there, anyone who argues against this needs to take a reality check.  i no i would rather have bentley/lennon coming off the bench than benny, lucas and this season to an extent babel.  whenever utd are missing rooney/ronaldo/ferdinand you still expect them to get 3 points.  when liverpools core players are missing you wouldnt be as confident. 

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rossie11 on January 22, 2009, 03:07:41 PM
The biggest problem is that there is a core of players there who believe their own hype and are weak mentally.
They ousted Ramos by not trying a leg.
Darren Bent one of highest paid players in the world reckoned Ramos didnt rate him highly enough so he sulked
They burst their ass for Harry for a few weeks cause he put the arm round them and told them how great they were.
Now the novelty has worn off they are back to square one.
Harry even said he needed men to stand up from now until the end of the season.
He will do well find them in that squad.

Spot on, Rossie. For when King is out injured, there's no-one else to provide a bit of leadership on the pitch (made worse by the frequent absence of Woodgate, and the sale of Keane)

In fact, I feel kinda sorry* for Modric and Pavylucenko (sp?), Gomes even, since I think they have genuine class, but mustn't know what hit them to be dropped into a club where a hundred people are pulling in two hundred different ways. Even at a stable club, they'd have difficulty enough coping with the language, style of play, "foreignness" of everything etc, as shown by the fact it took e.g. Henry and Pires time to settle in at the Arse, or Vidic and Evra at ManUre.

* - Well, as sorry as I can be for people barely half my age, who are pulling in £50k+ a week... :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"