Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2018, 11:03:58 PM
It's not whataboutery, it's fact.Should the current British Monarchy be held accountable for slavery centuries ago.While not condoning past failures time moves on and more and more protective measures are put in place.

You moved from one whataboutery straight into another! You stupidness knows no bounds
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dec

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 08, 2018, 08:31:38 PM
"He suggested I steer away from outside counselling services as they could be steering me in the wrong direction, and could lead me in the wrong direction,"... arranged for him to complete counselling sessions with a nun... During the second last meeting with the nun, Mr Faloon says she told him that "given time, God will forgive you".

They were all involved in the cover up.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2018, 10:58:09 PM
This man is dead almost 20 years.His crimes were not properly addressed at the time by the Church,just like the crimes of employees of the BBC in the same era weren't properly addressed,nor those of a multitude of sports coaches across the globe etc etc

While not excusing those who failed years ago,lessons have been learned and the Church has robust procedures to deal with allegations of abuse in the modern era.

The abuser died 16 years ago but the damage done to his victims will never end for those poor people.  Many of those who knew about his abuse and covered it up or even just knew about and did not nothing (I think your church calls that sins of omission) are still in position and well and truly alive.  The bishop of the diocese knew of the abuse yet lauded the predator at his funeral and believes that an apology is sufficient when by his own admission his behaviour towards abuse victims was far from satisfactory.

BTW where does the modern era start for you.  The abuse by this person went on during your lifetime and on those who are younger than you!

Where is your evidence that the so called 'robust procedures' to deal with 'allegations of abuse in the modern era' are working?  Are you relating nothing in the media about clerical abuse carried out in recent years with the procedures preventing such abuse?  Many of those who carried out clerical abuse before what you term as the modern era are still alive and living in communities.

Do you think abuse by clergy ended when safeguarding officials were appointed in parishes and dioceses?  How do you account for the number of clergy who are absent from parishes with no explanation and canon law still trumping civil law? 

Where is the safeguarding action by Catholic church being applied to the growing number of vulnerable adults in our ageing population?

Milltown Row2

http://nativescomunity.info/2017/12/16/nun-arrested-for-helping-five-priests-rape-deaf-children/

This one is worse!!  I'm  Glad all the robust measures are in place to stop this stuff that happened 20 years ago, oh wait no, this was recently ffs! If only the highest ranking of clergy was from this country, oh wait!

Deaf children Ffs!! Unreal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: T Fearon on February 10, 2018, 05:41:07 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on February 08, 2018, 08:59:46 PM
He had left the year or 2 before I went to the school. But is a cover up by the church anything new. I believe it was public knowledge b4 he died around Hilltown yet the current bishop still officiated at his funeral.

"cover up by the church" and "public knowledge" used in successive sentences! Do you realise how ridiculous this is?

Your Church's 'cover up' continues because it ignores its civil responsibility to turn over allegations and evidence to the civil authorities and refuses to inform authorities in social care of its knowledge and findings.

Your Church has learned how to play the game better, it has safeguarding officers in place but they must report to the bishops or parish priests and do not have the autonomy to report to the civil authorities. They are toothless, ineffective, window dressing and often used as the civilian arm the parish priest or bishop. See recent story in Irish News  http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/2018/01/02/news/omagh-church-safeguarding-row-silences-children-s-choir-1223121/content.html

Your Church now realises that it is the mainstream media that it must control to protect its interests. Yes it does isolate priests when allegations are made but it does nothing to investigate and report to the authorities so it does nothing to protect the vulnerable.  It is still concerned only with protecting the reputation of the institution and not dealing with the victims, the alleged perpetrators or the abusers.

The hidden victims are now the many vulnerable elderly, the last group who still hold the clergy in reverence.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on February 10, 2018, 01:25:59 PM
https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/02/09/news/priest-warned-abuse-victim-he-would-be-ruined-if-he-spoke-out-1252366/

What's this? The victim told his parents and police about Finnegan when he was 17 and Finnegan still alive,but they did nothing??????

Scoring points on priest raping kids Tony is a new low for you! You're a twisted f**ker

imtommygunn

Sadly it isn't a new low. The gutter has been reached many times before.

longballin

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/02/09/news/priest-warned-abuse-victim-he-would-be-ruined-if-he-spoke-out-1252366/

What's this? The victim told his parents and police about Finnegan when he was 17 and Finnegan still alive,but they did nothing??????

Should you not be over on the death thread making jokes about the latest tragedies?

Owen Brannigan

And you know this for definite?

Of course you don't know the heartache of these parents or what they attempted to do for their son.  You can be sure that they would have experienced the same knock backs that their son experienced from the bishop.  So, do not attempt to blame the parents for something you know nothing about. 

Better to realise that you are an apologist for clerical abuse and cover up of such crimes by your Church's hierarchy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on February 10, 2018, 02:03:37 PM
I am no apologist for child abuse.Just pointing out that Sean Brady and the Church were lambasted for not informing the police.Sadly in this case the Police were informed but did nothing

And so Sean should have been lambasted and arrested for withholding information on a person who raped kids

Dougal Maguire

Don't know why you boys bother to argue with this nut job.
Careful now

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on February 10, 2018, 05:39:05 AM
The term "nun arrested" suggests to me that the robust procedures are working.I also listened to a priest from Kerry on Joe Duffy recently describing how in recent years when an allegation (totally false as it turned out) was made against him the official Church disowned him immediately,leaving him very bitter but determined to carry on with his ministry and vocation.That's a far cry from mistakenly trying to protect the Church's reputation by trying to manage this vile phenomenon in house.

5:39am   wtf!!  something not right here  :o

Applesisapples

I was in St Colaman's when Malachy Finnegan was principle, he was undoubtedly an alcoholic and rumours abounded about his fondness for boys. I took them at the time to be the sort of schoolboy innuendo that boys throw about. Though I have to say I am not surprised that there is substance to the rumours. I do believe though that John McAreavy is trying his best to deal with these issues. It is worth noting that Finnegan was not prosecuted but that the Church found evidence that there was substance to the accusations. I don't hold with Tony's view on the Church and how it has approached abuse, however they are belatedly trying to tackle what is increasingly becoming historic situations.

Gabriel_Hurl