Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 16, 2019, 05:39:02 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2019, 05:01:26 PM
As hard as it is to believe there actually ar a few differences.

Look at casement park and how it can't progress. School funds, civil service funds etc seem to have suffered - more the distribution of them - which has led to a struggle to plan.

If the civil service (who are also utterly useless in certain areas) were allowed to make strategic decision (like budgets/infrastructure/etc) then it wouldn't be a problem.

Suitable legislation could be introduced to allow that - then you'd probably notice the benefits of not having stormont.

And who puts forward that legislation, politicians by any chance. These turkeys aren't voting for Christmas when their wages are at risk even if it is detrimental to the people who voted for them. And don't think Westminster will override anyone over here seeing as the DUP tail is wagging the Torie dog.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2019, 05:01:26 PM
As hard as it is to believe there actually ar a few differences.

Look at casement park and how it can't progress. School funds, civil service funds etc seem to have suffered - more the distribution of them - which has led to a struggle to plan. (The civil service thing I am led to believe by someone I know who works there).

The tories did dish out some stuff though (or someone did) but it actually has some impact.

Ah lads there have been loads of areas that have suffered since no Stormont, public service pay negotiations, Casement, Health Service review & that's off the top of my head
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

haranguerer

Quote from: trailer on January 16, 2019, 05:47:31 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on January 16, 2019, 04:57:07 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 16, 2019, 04:52:08 PM
Quote from: red hander on January 16, 2019, 04:31:44 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 16, 2019, 10:35:10 AM
No Irish party (Nationalist or Unionist) makes one iota at Westminster.

Sure look at the number of SNP members that effectively don't matter.

My gripe with SF is they appear to be doing sweet FA here to get things back on track.

Stormont is dead, hopefully. There's a myth that things will improve if the Assembly and Executive returns. Balls. People have short memories, it was a farce, but it's always been a farce from 1921. Anything that shortens the life of this putrid statelet is fine by my, and the demise of Stormont is one of those things

In fairness it doesn't seem to be any worse a farce than Westminster Atm but I get your drift.
Who said   " The best argument against democracy is a half hour conversation with an average voter "

Churchill and he wasn't far wrong. What discernible difference has havingno government in NI made over the last 2 years?

Ask people waiting for operations
Ask those families on universal credit - Go and spend 15 minutes at any of the foodbanks across NI.
Ask children who's education is suffering
Ask construction workers who rely on public contracts
Ask any of the relatives of those killed on the A5

Do all that, then tell me Stormont doesn't matter, or Westminster doesn't matter or Government doesn't matter. It all matters, to someone, somewhere it matters.

Do you write this stuff yourself?

markl121

Close vote in the commons. Corbyn wants assurances that there won't be a no deal brexit, I don't know how she can do that when the eu says the current deal is the only deal and that was beaten easily.

BennyCake

My gripe with SF is they appear to be doing sweet FA here to get things back on track.

Stormont is dead, hopefully. There's a myth that things will improve if the Assembly and Executive returns. Balls. People have short memories, it was a farce, but it's always been a farce from 1921. Anything that shortens the life of this putrid statelet is fine by my, and the demise of Stormont is one of those things

In fairness it doesn't seem to be any worse a farce than Westminster Atm but I get your drift.
Who said   " The best argument against democracy is a half hour conversation with an average voter "

Churchill and he wasn't far wrong. What discernible difference has havingno government in NI made over the last 2 years?

My chickens are feckin' freezing now!

BennyCake

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 16, 2019, 04:55:19 PM
I'm no fan of Stormont either lads but if we want the dream of a UI to happen then we have to learn to work with those lot.

In the here and now I'd like to see education, hospitals and job creation given precedence.

We need stability to move towards a UI.

They clearly can't and won't work together.

In the long term, it doesn't serve their own agendas (DUP - NI in UK, SF - an UI) to work together. If they're working well together in Stormont, how does that help their long term objectives? It doesn't.

If Stormont runs well, why the need for a UI? SF can't have that! And if Stormont runs well, sure there's no reason why you can't facilitate Stormont within a United Ireland. DUP can't have that!

They both need to feed off each other, throw an orange/green tantrum every now and again. They can't exist without each other. Their polar opposite ultimate objectives will always trump working together on education, roads, economy etc.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: trailer on January 16, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Ask people waiting for operations
Ask those families on universal credit - Go and spend 15 minutes at any of the foodbanks across NI.
Ask children who's education is suffering
Ask construction workers who rely on public contracts
Ask any of the relatives of those killed on the A5

Do all that, then tell me Stormont doesn't matter, or Westminster doesn't matter or Government doesn't matter. It all matters, to someone, somewhere it matters.

People were waiting on operations 2 years ago
The DUP/SF cabal introduced universal credit to N.I.
Reality is life goes on without the need for Stormont.

omaghjoe

Quote from: markl121 on January 16, 2019, 07:27:40 PM
Close vote in the commons. Corbyn wants assurances that there won't be a no deal brexit, I don't know how she can do that when the eu says the current deal is the only deal and that was beaten easily.

Only deal with current red lines. If May shifts those on free movement customs union etc they could draw up another agreement no problem. Already talk in Europe about extending article 50 if request comes. Hilarious how eu is always a few steps down the road while the Brits are mired bickering about what they don't want

playwiththewind1st

That's cos the Brits are  into delusional  navel gazing, pretending that they still rule over a third of the known earth  & congratulating themselves that they defeated the Kaiser & Hitler single handed. Unfortunately they think of themselves as being a world power, as opposed to a bankrupt 3rd rate statelet.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 16, 2019, 05:50:23 PM
And who puts forward that legislation

And don't think Westminster will override anyone over here seeing as the DUP tail is wagging the Torie dog.

You answered your own question. Karen Bradley can put it forward to Westminster.

But they'd rather not due to Fuhrer May's need of votes.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

She can defer Article 50 and renegotiate, giving in some areas, taking in others.
i usse an speelchekor

red hander

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 16, 2019, 08:46:52 PM

Only deal with current red lines. If May shifts those on free movement customs union etc they could draw up another agreement no problem. Already talk in Europe about extending article 50 if request comes. Hilarious how eu is always a few steps down the road while the Brits are mired bickering about what they don't want

That would split those Tory bastards even more, which would be great, but she has no wriggle room on that in London

pbat

Liz Truss on Preston tonight, I think she is drunk.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Kursk on November 01, 2015, 07:20:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2015, 06:59:54 PM
Brexit would not be economically advantageous for the UK. Brexit could lead to a lot of unintended consequences.

That is the politics of fear. It is an old broken record at this stage. A more imaginative approach is needed.

Sorry but saying that there could be a lot of consequences that were unintended is not fear.

It is a factual observation.

Indeed, I think that observation could be changed to "there will be a lot of unintended consequences" and be equally factual - as not one person will have known all the consequences of Brexit when they made their decision to vote.

The kinda things that piss me off is when the wannabe dictator stands up and essentially "anyone that disagrees with me (and my precioussss) is not following the will of the people".
i usse an speelchekor

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on January 12, 2019, 09:17:56 PM
I'd say your knowledge of "The South" is fairly limited.
That actually cuts both ways many from the south do not understand nationalists in the North, or their motivations. They criticise without the benefit of the experience many nationalists had of the state in which they grew up. Prime example are those FF Republicans sniping at SF for not swearing an oath to the Queen, they don't get that people voted SF on that basis. I would not swear an oath to the Queen why would I expect my MP to do so? There are other examples as well.